• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Magnaflow exhaust for G70

SlimShady

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bolted up the rear pipes to the cats and they need to be trimmed about 3” so I drove to the exhaust shop and they trimmed them and removed the stinger quad tips and custom made some for my G70.

I’m off early today so I’ll try to get some video of the sound.

One thing I have noticed, as the packing is settled in it has more rumble than when first installed. It’s a bit louder and the wife noticed it and was saying she likes a quiet car 😂
Good to know. My wife would be the same way. Unless somehow they can make it sound like a V8? lol

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just finished installing @FastEddie 's custom magnaflow exhaust, and installed my ARK midpipes with HFC's. It sounds pretty nice, yet still quiet.

Also, you can't even tell it's there by looking at it, unless you bring your head all the way to the ground. Case in point, took this picture while kneeling...

IMG_20191030_111800__01.jpg

I'll record a cold start video tomorrow morning, and I'll edit it to show before and after.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And here is the comparison... Both start out with a cold-start.

I've got my ARK midpipes w/HFC's installed during the second video clip.

It's tough to tell the difference in tone, unless you have a really nice set of speakers on your computer. If you use your phone you won't hear much of a difference at all between the exhausts. The biggest change is the tone, the MF exhaust sounds MUCH deeper, but isn't really any louder than stock except at WOT (which you can't really tell here while it's sitting and pressing the pedal).

I'm still toying with the idea of removing the heimholtz resonators. I've noticed that the exhaust is VERY deep and loud at partial throttle to where you can hear it a lot in the cabin, around 1750-2000 rpms. I'm curious if this is from the resonation within those heimholtz canisters.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

It's tough to tell the difference in tone, unless you have a really nice set of speakers on your computer. If you use your phone you won't hear much of a difference at all between the exhausts. The biggest change is the tone, the MF exhaust sounds MUCH deeper, but isn't really any louder than stock except at WOT (which you can't really tell here while it's sitting and pressing the pedal).

I'm still toying with the idea of removing the heimholtz resonators. I've noticed that the exhaust is VERY deep and loud at partial throttle to where you can hear it a lot in the cabin, around 1750-2000 rpms. I'm curious if this is from the resonation within those heimholtz canisters.
Every exhaust I've heard is Deep and loud in that RPM range.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I should probably not mess with it, then. Haha.
Stinger folks use quite a few tricks to help with this. Sound deadening around the trunk and spare tire, wrapping the exhaust itself, and adding tips so the sound is directed more out the back end instead of getting trapped under the car. Doing any one or more of these seems to help

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Stinger folks use quite a few tricks to help with this. Sound deadening around the trunk and spare tire, wrapping the exhaust itself, and adding tips so the sound is directed more out the back end instead of getting trapped under the car. Doing any one or more of these seems to help
I may have to see if I can get the tips modified, as they seem to be shorter than the OEM tips. I bet some of that sound is resonating under the trunk and behind the bumper because of it. Even so, it's not too bad, but I could see how it might get annoying after a while.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I may have to see if I can get the tips modified, as they seem to be shorter than the OEM tips. I bet some of that sound is resonating under the trunk and behind the bumper because of it. Even so, it's not too bad, but I could see how it might get annoying after a while.
I made back plates behind the tips to replicate the stock exhaust. This accomplished two things. 1. kept most of the exhaust sound away from under the car, and 2. Blocked from being able to see though the exhaust tip from back of the car.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I made back plates behind the tips to replicate the stock exhaust. This accomplished two things. 1. kept most of the exhaust sound away from under the car, and 2. Blocked from being able to see though the exhaust tip from back of the car.
How did you make them?

Edit: Nevermind - I found the thread on the Stinger forum about it.

I might get some aftermarket tips, and maybe wrap the base of them with exhaust heat wrap since I have some laying around. If that doesn't help much, I may put some dynamat equivalent material and line the trunk.

Last edited:

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
How did you make them?

Edit: Nevermind - I found the thread on the Stinger forum about it.

I might get some aftermarket tips, and maybe wrap the base of them with exhaust heat wrap since I have some laying around. If that doesn't help much, I may put some dynamat equivalent material and line the trunk.
I got 2 aluminum black plates on ebay. Cut 2-1/2" hole and cut into an oval with dremel. Then bolted plate to u-bolt and clamped in position to exhaust. All can be done with exhaust on just have to remove the tips. Passenger side is tricky.
I wanted to do the tips but couldn't find anything. Do you plan on removing the oe tip? Let us know what you find.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I got 2 aluminum black plates on ebay. Cut 2-1/2" hole and cut into an oval with dremel. Then bolted plate to u-bolt and clamped in position to exhaust. All can be done with exhaust on just have to remove the tips. Passenger side is tricky.
I wanted to do the tips but couldn't find anything. Do you plan on removing the oe tip? Let us know what you find.
Did you notice any difference in sound?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Does it feel any stronger? What does the butt Dyno say?
I noticed that the new exhaust seems to have eliminated the occasional dog bark noise. 😂😂😂

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does it feel any stronger? What does the butt Dyno say?
I noticed that the new exhaust seems to have eliminated the occasional dog bark noise. 😂😂😂
Definite nice little bump in power, pretty similar to what my intakes added. It's really start to feel mean!

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you notice any difference in sound?
Yes, only with valve closed. Still not stock and never will be and do not expect it to be. The only way I can explain it is @ highway speed 65-75 in that ramp range the radio would mask it at say level 5 or 6, now the radio @ 3 or 4.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes, only with valve closed. Still not stock and never will be and do not expect it to be. The only way I can explain it is @ highway speed 65-75 in that ramp range the radio would mask it at say level 5 or 6, now the radio @ 3 or 4.
May I suggest (if you're able) to download a Decibel Meter app to your cell phone and use that to determine the approximate sound levels in different situations. The one I used was a random one and it's pretty accurate. That will at least give you a good comparison to how loud it is compared to the OEM exhaust. When I tested it, the OEM exhaust didn't get any louder than 70dB with my phone 3 ft from the tailpipe and in the aggressive sound mode. It was surprising because I read the stock exhaust was 80dB. The one I used is for android through the Google Play download. The app is called "Sound Meter" from Abc Apps but if you type in "decibel" you get all the other apps. Just a thought.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
May I suggest (if you're able) to download a Decibel Meter app to your cell phone and use that to determine the approximate sound levels in different situations. The one I used was a random one and it's pretty accurate. That will at least give you a good comparison to how loud it is compared to the OEM exhaust. When I tested it, the OEM exhaust didn't get any louder than 70dB with my phone 3 ft from the tailpipe and in the aggressive sound mode. It was surprising because I read the stock exhaust was 80dB. The one I used is for android through the Google Play download. The app is called "Sound Meter" from Abc Apps but if you type in "decibel" you get all the other apps. Just a thought.
Yes that's great but I believe we're talking about interior levels . What is the aggressive mode. If you're speaking about the enhanced exhaust sound setting that does not change the tailpipe sound

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums