• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Magnaflow exhaust for G70

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update for those still waiting for a G70 specific version: Called Cody today and he said I should expect a call on the week of Nov. 11th for scheduling. Looks like SEMA has them slammed with work

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you feel any torque loss down low? That’s holding me back from touching my exhaust. Last time I had a catback installed as soon as I drove it off from the shop I felt that change in the power band
No torque loss whatsoever. If anything it feels even more responsive throughout the entire rev range, even down low.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And here is the comparison... Both start out with a cold-start.

I've got my ARK midpipes w/HFC's installed during the second video clip.

It's tough to tell the difference in tone, unless you have a really nice set of speakers on your computer. If you use your phone you won't hear much of a difference at all between the exhausts. The biggest change is the tone, the MF exhaust sounds MUCH deeper, but isn't really any louder than stock except at WOT (which you can't really tell here while it's sitting and pressing the pedal).

I'm still toying with the idea of removing the heimholtz resonators. I've noticed that the exhaust is VERY deep and loud at partial throttle to where you can hear it a lot in the cabin, around 1750-2000 rpms. I'm curious if this is from the resonation within those heimholtz canisters.
So the mid pipes replace the sections that were pinched off, under the axles, right? Is this essentially a cat-back system?

scotttisha

Registered Member
orlando, fl
Nice!

So Scott was a liar! Hahah. He said everything else fits w/out modification. Haha.

Thanks for posting. It looks really good, doesn't look too low at all. How much did they end up charging you, if you don't mind?

I didn't cut my midpipe. In fact I swapped out the mid pipes about a month later and all my exhaust guy did was unbolt them and then bolt up the race pipes.

scotttisha

Registered Member
orlando, fl
And here is the comparison... Both start out with a cold-start.

I've got my ARK midpipes w/HFC's installed during the second video clip.

It's tough to tell the difference in tone, unless you have a really nice set of speakers on your computer. If you use your phone you won't hear much of a difference at all between the exhausts. The biggest change is the tone, the MF exhaust sounds MUCH deeper, but isn't really any louder than stock except at WOT (which you can't really tell here while it's sitting and pressing the pedal).

I'm still toying with the idea of removing the heimholtz resonators. I've noticed that the exhaust is VERY deep and loud at partial throttle to where you can hear it a lot in the cabin, around 1750-2000 rpms. I'm curious if this is from the resonation within those heimholtz canisters.
I would keep them. Just delete the 2nd cats. My car sounds perfect, IMO, with them deleted. I think you'll have unwanted drone if you take the chambers off. I guess if you do it right, you can always weld them back on... Now that I've said that, DO IT!! haha. I want to hear how it sounds.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would keep them. Just delete the 2nd cats. My car sounds perfect, IMO, with them deleted. I think you'll have unwanted drone if you take the chambers off. I guess if you do it right, you can always weld them back on... Now that I've said that, DO IT!! haha. I want to hear how it sounds.
Hah, probably will just keep the Helmholtz resonators on. I think I will get new custom tips welded, and I may put some plates on like @CoconutRob has. It's not loud, it's just super deep, like I've got some big ass subwoofer constantly pumping in the trunk.

Also, for the cat back exhaust, it comes in two pieces (as you already know). The section with the x-pipe had to have some material removed where the slip fit is, otherwise it would have been too long.

The midpipes I already swapped out for aftermarket ARK pipes. So I have a full exhaust, except for the primary downpipes which are still stock (and will most likely stay that way, because f*ck those, they're a nightmare).

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh yea, we all remember that!

If I had RWD I don't think they'd be nearly as bad, as you'd actually have some room to access things. Even so, I may consider doing them again after things settle down at the home front - we're planning a big move next year.

Anyway, just dropped my car off at a performance shop to get the exhaust tips Tig welded with mandrel bends. He's also going to remove the HFC's on my ARK midpipes, as the muffler shop who put them in did an absolute horrendous job - not only do they look like absolute garbage, but they're leaking pretty badly now (not surprised), so we're just gonna get rid of them.

Hopefully I can snap some pics while up on the lift when he's done!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If I had RWD I don't think they'd be nearly as bad, as you'd actually have some room to access things. Even so, I may consider doing them again after things settle down at the home front - we're planning a big move next year.

Anyway, just dropped my car off at a performance shop to get the exhaust tips Tig welded with mandrel bends. He's also going to remove the HFC's on my ARK midpipes, as the muffler shop who put them in did an absolute horrendous job - not only do they look like absolute garbage, but they're leaking pretty badly now (not surprised), so we're just gonna get rid of them.

Hopefully I can snap some pics while up on the lift when he's done!
Cool. Let us know how it goes, and how it sounds.
I don't know of a shop around here I'd trust to do that work. Nice that you have one.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
All done. Everything turned out perfect! They did it exactly as I wanted. Beautiful tig welds, mandrel bent tuning, and the tips are perfectly centered and closer to the bumper exit.

New tips, ovaled just like stock....
IMG_7286.jpg
IMG_7287.jpg
IMG_20191119_201931.jpg
IMG_20191119_201941.jpg

Next he removed the HFC's that the other muffler shop screwed up, and welded in some replacement sections of pipe (mandrel bends as well)....
IMG_7284.jpg
IMG_7285.jpg

And finally, here is the old hardware removed...

IMG_7290.jpg
IMG_7288.jpg

Not only were the welds horrible, they were also leaking....AND the substrate was damaged.

IMG_20191119_200314.jpg

The sound is a little different. I'm getting a little less of that deep booming sound I was before at low RPMs, which I assume is from the longer tips. Also, the sound is a little louder when flooring it than before, which I assume is related to removing the secondary HFC's.

So, it's quieter and louder at the same time. If that makes any sense. Lol.

In the end, I like how everything turned out!

Last edited:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh man, those are beautiful pipes and welds! Very nice. I'm jealous. 😉

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums