• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Magnaflow exhaust for G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks good! There's no issues removing the cats? Isn't there an O2 sensor or something in that area?
No O2 sensors after the secondary cats. Only after the primaries - as long as you don't mess with those you're good to go as far as emissions are concerned.

Originally I wanted HCF's to replace the secondaries because I was gonna install primary downpipes with HFC's - I was concerned about overboost, so I figured having 2 sets of HFC's would prevent that. But since that's not happening, I think this will work just fine.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I've lost track, what is your whole exhaust system made up of now? How much is/had to be custom made (besides tips)?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I've lost track, what is your whole exhaust system made up of now? How much is/had to be custom made (besides tips)?

Stock primary downpipes. ARK midpipes. Magnaflow cat-back exhaust with custom tips. That's pretty much it.

Originally I had a set of HFC's welded in to the ARK midpipes, but they did a total noob job and they ended up leaking, so this guy cut them out for me and welded everything back together so now it's as if I never added the HFC's on the first place. I basically just wasted a lot of time and money doing that. 😣

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Stock primary downpipes. ARK midpipes. Magnaflow cat-back exhaust with custom tips. That's pretty much it.

Originally I had a set of HFC's welded in to the ARK midpipes, but they did a total noob job and they ended up leaking, so this guy cut them out for me and welded everything back together so now it's as if I never added the HFC's on the first place. I basically just wasted a lot of time and money doing that. 😣
Thanks. Well it looks great. I didn't see anything called midpipes on their website, just down pipes. Did I miss it?

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I read that the biggest exhaust bottle neck is the primary dp and with just new plugs, 93 octane and a Lap3 Pro Tuner stock everything else you get the biggest performs gain for the money. 450WHP.that's good, right?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks. Well it looks great. I didn't see anything called midpipes on their website, just down pipes. Did I miss it?

Midpipes = secondary downpipes.

ARK-DP0804-0118A_640x640.jpg

I call them midpipes because, to me, downpipes are the ones that bolt directly to the turbo. So you can call them midpipes, or even secondary downpipes. You'll see those terms used interchangeably for the G70/Stinger.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I read that the biggest exhaust bottle neck is the primary dp and with just new plugs, 93 octane and a Lap3 Pro Tuner stock everything else you get the biggest performs gain for the money. 450WHP.that's good, right?
Yup, the primary DP's and the rear section mufflers are the biggest exhaust restrictions.

Primaries are a pain in the ass for those of us that have AWD. RWD is still tedious, but not nearly as bad as AWD. Ask me how I know.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hah, probably will just keep the Helmholtz resonators on. I think I will get new custom tips welded, and I may put some plates on like @CoconutRob has. It's not loud, it's just super deep, like I've got some big ass subwoofer constantly pumping in the trunk.

Also, for the cat back exhaust, it comes in two pieces (as you already know). The section with the x-pipe had to have some material removed where the slip fit is, otherwise it would have been too long.

The midpipes I already swapped out for aftermarket ARK pipes. So I have a full exhaust, except for the primary downpipes which are still stock (and will most likely stay that way, because f*ck those, they're a nightmare).
Could you explain or direct me to a link I might have missed regarding swapping or the primary dp's? I was tt Lap3 and David said the stock one is the biggest bottleneck of the entire exhaust system and just by swapping it out, leaving the rest of the exhaust stock and getting the tune would be killer gains.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could you explain or direct me to a link I might have missed regarding swapping or the primary dp's? I was tt Lap3 and David said the stock one is the biggest bottleneck of the entire exhaust system and just by swapping it out, leaving the rest of the exhaust stock and getting the tune would be killer gains.
The primary downpipes definitely are a significant bottleneck, and I bet he's right in that they're probably the biggest bottleneck in the entire exhaust system.

The turbo flange studs and nuts are difficult to get to. Mine snapped when attempting to remove, and I ended up having to replace the entire turbo because of the significant galling on the flange threads that happened when removing the nuts (all the studs came out with them). If you decide to do them yourself, I'd get in touch with Nick Khar at Khartunerz - he's a really helpful guy and can give you a ton of good pointers.

I think if I were to finally go through with installing primary DP's again (I ended up quitting and sold mine), I'd loosen each nut/stud a little at a time, and give each one a good spray of penetrating oil after each turn to hopefully prevent galling. But even that isn't guaranteed to prevent the studs from sticking, and eventually snapping during the removal.

You will also need a few long extensions, and a really good U-Joint. Don't cheap out with a crappy one, get a nice one, like the impact u-joints. They articulate better.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The primary downpipes definitely are a significant bottleneck, and I bet he's right in that they're probably the biggest bottleneck in the entire exhaust system.

The turbo flange studs and nuts are difficult to get to. Mine snapped when attempting to remove, and I ended up having to replace the entire turbo because of the significant galling on the flange threads that happened when removing the nuts (all the studs came out with them). If you decide to do them yourself, I'd get in touch with Nick Khar at Khartunerz - he's a really helpful guy and can give you a ton of good pointers.

I think if I were to finally go through with installing primary DP's again (I ended up quitting and sold mine), I'd loosen each nut/stud a little at a time, and give each one a good spray of penetrating oil after each turn to hopefully prevent galling. But even that isn't guaranteed to prevent the studs from sticking, and eventually snapping during the removal.

You will also need a few long extensions, and a really good U-Joint. Don't cheap out with a crappy one, get a nice one, like the impact u-joints. They articulate better.
Thank you very much for the information. Gives me allot to think about.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Welp, here's some unfortunate news for your winter day:

"I saw you called. I have some not so great news to relay. I spoke with my design team and they have put a hold on the G70 exhaust systems. Unfortunately, I do not know the reason why but I am hopeful for development of a system in the future. If the request opens up again you will be the first person I contact. Thank you again for your time and persistence, it is greatly appreciated." -Copy Spakes//Magnaflow

I guess it's time for everyone doing some Christmas exhaust system shopping to either pivot or mod a Stinger exhaust system

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums