Maintec Variable Catback Exhaust Install

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also ordered from Shark Racing... ordered 7/17 and was delivered today! Haven’t unboxed but nothing sticking out of the rather beat up box! I’m planning on a fixed wired switch rather than the remote setup provided. Thanks @Draco-REX for the write-up!

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also ordered from Shark Racing... ordered 7/17 and was delivered today! Haven’t unboxed but nothing sticking out of the rather beat up box! I’m planning on a fixed wired switch rather than the remote setup provided. Thanks @Draco-REX for the write-up!
Let us know what you think when it's installed. Are you going to have it done, or do it yourself?

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Let us know what you think when it's installed. Are you going to have it done, or do it yourself?

I’ll do it at home. Will take my time and do the vacuum connection and solenoid part under hood first. Got the parts as @Draco-REX suggested and will get the switch located and hooked up. Have a vacuum gauge to see that it is all working. Not sure about the route for the vacuum line going back. We’ve seen the underbody route along the gas line work. Through the cabin under door sills with the battery cable is a possibility also and keep it more protected. We’ll see... no rush as this is a good project while stuck at home for a while!

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’ll do it at home. Will take my time and do the vacuum connection and solenoid part under hood first. Got the parts as @Draco-REX suggested and will get the switch located and hooked up. Have a vacuum gauge to see that it is all working. Not sure about the route for the vacuum line going back. We’ve seen the underbody route along the gas line work. Through the cabin under door sills with the battery cable is a possibility also and keep it more protected. We’ll see... no rush as this is a good project while stuck at home for a while!
I'm considering using this nylon stainless steel line and running outside. It's expensive, but it looks durable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFPXHB...b3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1&tag=salsbloofnot-20

RonE_RRTX

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The box arrived today. Quite beaten up - will see what things look like in about an hour.

20200817_173454.jpg

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine should be here in the few days. Are you going to install it yourself?

RonE_RRTX

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Mine should be here in the few days. Are you going to install it yourself?
Yes. There is a DIY shop with lifts 10 minutes from my house.

RonE_RRTX

SUSTAINING MEMBER
@Draco-REX - I completed the installation of the Maintec exhaust today. Did everything per your instructions (btw - great job). The valves are not opening. I tested everything prior to connecting the lines to the valve assembly. Getting vacuum when hitting the "on" button on the remote. The green light comes on. I did have to bend one of the valve assembly mounts back to the straight position as it was bent from shipping. How much force should be needed to move the actuator arm on the assemblies? Mine are pretty stiff. When the unit is turned, the arms do not move. I am assuming they should move inward towards the blue body of the assembly. Should I loosen anything on the arms? These look to be spring loaded, but really tight and would require quite a bit of force to move them. So, after a several hours of engine bay setup and then the installation of the exhaust. my car still sounds very meek. Help me please!!!

Draco-REX

Registered Member
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Draco-REX - I completed the installation of the Maintec exhaust today. Did everything per your instructions (btw - great job). The valves are not opening. I tested everything prior to connecting the lines to the valve assembly. Getting vacuum when hitting the "on" button on the remote. The green light comes on. I did have to bend one of the valve assembly mounts back to the straight position as it was bent from shipping. How much force should be needed to move the actuator arm on the assemblies? Mine are pretty stiff. When the unit is turned, the arms do not move. I am assuming they should move inward towards the blue body of the assembly. Should I loosen anything on the arms? These look to be spring loaded, but really tight and would require quite a bit of force to move them. So, after a several hours of engine bay setup and then the installation of the exhaust. my car still sounds very meek. Help me please!!!
They should be very easy to move. I could move the connecting rod rapidly just by pinching with my thumb and forefinger. Try adjusting them again until they move freely.

RonE_RRTX

SUSTAINING MEMBER
They should be very easy to move. I could move the connecting rod rapidly just by pinching with my thumb and forefinger. Try adjusting them again until they move freely.
Thanks. I will try this later today.

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks. I will try this later today.

I haven't installed yet but just ran out in the garage with this check for you... I hooked up vacuum line and a tee to the valve. Sucking on the tube I could get to 13" and the valve was fully open. Not bad for a 66 year old who had COVID. I would use a vacuum garage and see that your setup under hood is all working with no vacuum with the solinoid valve in 'off' and 15" or so in 'on'. Then do the manual valve check like the pic. If 15" or so won't open it then something is bent and needs to be straightened. If all is well then a good line connection from to back and it should be good (and louder)!

Attachments

• Test Valve-1666.jpg
    Test Valve-1666.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 16

RonE_RRTX

SUSTAINING MEMBER
I haven't installed yet but just ran out in the garage with this check for you... I hooked up vacuum line and a tee to the valve. Sucking on the tube I could get to 13" and the valve was fully open. Not bad for a 66 year old who had COVID. I would use a vacuum garage and see that your setup under hood is all working with no vacuum with the solinoid valve in 'off' and 15" or so in 'on'. Then do the manual valve check like the pic. If 15" or so won't open it then something is bent and needs to be straightened. If all is well then a good line connection from to back and it should be good (and louder)!
@LindrelT - Thanks, I will give it a try later today.

RonE_RRTX

SUSTAINING MEMBER
@LindrelT - Thanks, I will give it a try later today.
@LindrelT and @Draco-REX - I found the issue. The valve that had the bent bracket is leaking. I disconnected the line at the T. Checked the vacuum there and it was good -

I reconnected it, started the car and got back under the exhaust. I hit the switch to activate the valve and could hear the leak -

The videos and some photos of the bent assembly have been sent to Shark Racing. Will see what they come back with.

Draco-REX

Registered Member
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@LindrelT and @Draco-REX - I found the issue. The valve that had the bent bracket is leaking. I disconnected the line at the T. Checked the vacuum there and it was good -

I reconnected it, started the car and got back under the exhaust. I hit the switch to activate the valve and could hear the leak -

The videos and some photos of the bent assembly have been sent to Shark Racing. Will see what they come back with.
Sorry to hear that. I hope they take care of you. At least you were able to pin point the fault.

RonE_RRTX

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Sorry to hear that. I hope they take care of you. At least you were able to pin point the fault.
Update: Sam from Shark Racing is going to request a new valve assembly from Maintec and ship it to me for free. As I await the replacement part, should I consider "locking" my current valves in the "open" position??? I have yet to hear the exhaust system on my car! I am thinking of using metal zip ties or picture hanging wire.

Last edited:

Draco-REX

Registered Member
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update: Sam from Shark Racing is going to request a new valve assembly from Maintec and ship it to me for free. As I await the replacement part, should I consider "locking" my current valves in the "open" position??? I have yet to hear the exhaust system on my car! I am thinking of using metal zip ties or picture hanging wire.
I'd disconnect the bad valve and cap the line. Then I'd force that one open like you described. You'll still have control over the good valve so you can muffle it some if you want.

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wish I could just buy a couple extra for later, in case they fail.

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Back on the project today... I'll try to highlight differences from @Draco-REX 's great write-up. I also bagged the remote switch unit that was included. I sourced this this one for under $30.

remote control-1735.jpg

It is reasonably sealed and has 'on' and 'off' buttons and yes, it supports Homelink! I also got black vacuum tubing here.

I decided to tap the manifold vacuum after the check valve like this so even under boost the valves will work off the vacuum reservoir:

Tee for vacuum-1737.jpg

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums