Maintec Variable Catback Exhaust Install

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Back on the project today... I'll try to highlight differences from @Draco-REX 's great write-up. I also bagged the remote switch unit that was included. I sourced this this one for under $30.

View attachment 31892

It is reasonably sealed and has 'on' and 'off' buttons and yes, it supports Homelink! I also got black vacuum tubing here.

I decided to tap the manifold vacuum after the check valve like this so even under boost the valves will work off the vacuum reservoir:

View attachment 31891
Do you know if you have to dedicate 2 homelink buttons - One for on, the other for off? My exhaust is finally going to be here Tuesday.

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I used the same spare fuse spot @Draco-REX identified. After wiring in the remote switch and plumbing the vacuum line it was time for a quick test before moving on...
It worked just fine...

So next was testing the valves before installing the pipes... @RonE_RRTX - I got good ones!! One is a little slower than the other but I'm OK with them.

Last test was could the remote be programmed to HomeLink on the mirror... yes!!! It works... you just give up one for "on" and one for "off"...

Will install the pipes and run the long length of vacuum line tomorrow!

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you know if you have to dedicate 2 homelink buttons - One for on, the other for off? My exhaust is finally going to be here Tuesday.

Yes... see video #3 just posted. The little remote included in the kit would prevent that but I wasn't using the 2nd and 3rd ones anyway. Glad your order is finally getting here!

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm installing mine now.

One thing I don't understand - when the add-a-circuit is in the fuse box, with positive positioned correctly, The pins aren't all way into the fuse box socket. The way the add-a-circuit is built, it will only snap into place if it's reversed. How did you resolve that?

LindrelT

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm installing mine now.

One thing I don't understand - when the add-a-circuit is in the fuse box, with positive positioned correctly, The pins aren't all way into the fuse box socket. The way the add-a-circuit is built, it will only snap into place if it's reversed. How did you resolve that?

I reversed it... I think that means the tap will lose power if the base fuse/load goes. But it is an empty slot anyway.

I got my system mounted at a local muffler shop and then came back home to run the vacuum line. Took 2 hours but happy with the route. Starting at the back each valve’s line went up and met under the trunk floor at the “tee”. Then up and over the rear sway bar zip tied to a bundle already up there and headed to the front of the car. Took both passenger side under panels off. Followed the gas line doing zip ties every 6-12”. At the front I went towards the right front wheel well. Took that splash panel out also after taking RF wheel/tire off. From there went up along an existing bundle and came out right under the main fuse box. From fuse box area went out into engine bay through a big 1 1/2” round rubber plug that was doing nothing. Then joined my electrical tap line over to the solenoid.

I did use factory spring clips at the vacuum valve nipples (they are very short) , at the “tee” and at the solenoid - with the black vacuum line it looks very original! Clips are the same ones as the lines on the top of the blow-off valves.

The bolts for the cross brace are M10-1.50 x 25 and matching nuts.

Love the sound and will usually have valves open. So although the switch I showed above will work with the car’s Homelink, it goes back to “off” each time the car starts. I may go back to my original idea of mounting a switch inside. Then it can stay where you set it. Someplace down by the drivers left knee and the fuse box cover. Then I can power it from that fuse box tap and run the line up and through the firewall using an existing penetration like the steering. Then the remote switch and tap can be removed from the engine bay fuse box area.

Good luck.... it’s worth it!!

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I reversed it... I think that means the tap will lose power if the base fuse/load goes. But it is an empty slot anyway.

I got my system mounted at a local muffler shop and then came back home to run the vacuum line. Took 2 hours but happy with the route. Starting at the back each valve’s line went up and met under the trunk floor at the “tee”. Then up and over the rear sway bar zip tied to a bundle already up there and headed to the front of the car. Took both passenger side under panels off. Followed the gas line doing zip ties every 6-12”. At the front I went towards the right front wheel well. Took that splash panel out also after taking RF wheel/tire off. From there went up along an existing bundle and came out right under the main fuse box. From fuse box area went out into engine bay through a big 1 1/2” round rubber plug that was doing nothing. Then joined my electrical tap line over to the solenoid.

I did use factory spring clips at the vacuum valve nipples (they are very short) , at the “tee” and at the solenoid - with the black vacuum line it looks very original! Clips are the same ones as the lines on the top of the blow-off valves.

The bolts for the cross brace are M10-1.50 x 25 and matching nuts.

Love the sound and will usually have valves open. So although the switch I showed above will work with the car’s Homelink, it goes back to “off” each time the car starts. I may go back to my original idea of mounting a switch inside. Then it can stay where you set it. Someplace down by the drivers left knee and the fuse box cover. Then I can power it from that fuse box tap and run the line up and through the firewall using an existing penetration like the steering. Then the remote switch and tap can be removed from the engine bay fuse box area.

Good luck.... it’s worth it!!
Thanks for the info! I wound up using the original remote so that I can use homelink with only one button. That said - its really junk, I ordered the same one you and @Draco-REX used for backup. The Frankenstein wiring harness I had make to get it to work is pathetic, and if Draco hadn't explained how it worked I would never have figured it out.

Last edited:

RonE_RRTX

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I used the same spare fuse spot @Draco-REX identified. After wiring in the remote switch and plumbing the vacuum line it was time for a quick test before moving on...
It worked just fine...

So next was testing the valves before installing the pipes... @RonE_RRTX - I got good ones!! One is a little slower than the other but I'm OK with them.

Last test was could the remote be programmed to HomeLink on the mirror... yes!!! It works... you just give up one for "on" and one for "off"...

I am awaiting two replacement valve assemblies that have been promised by Sam @ Shark Racing. In the interim, I am running with them open all the time. Now I am wondering why I even went for the variable as the car sounds awesome!

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I installed mine this weekend. I keep the valves open most of the time, I do close them on the highway, when then engine is lugging around 2100 RPMs - which is where it drones. I love the sound. It's funny because it gurgles a bit at very low RPM, and when I first heard it, I thought something was rattling in the back. When I go full throttle there is a whistle sound when the engine is in the higher RPM range. I think it's intake/turbo noise, so I'm wondering if other people hear that too? I have the OEM intakes with K&N filters.

Joho75287

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Upstate South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I installed mine this weekend. I keep the valves open most of the time, I do close them on the highway, when then engine is lugging around 2100 RPMs - which is where it drones. I love the sound. It's funny because it gurgles a bit at very low RPM, and when I first heard it, I thought something was rattling in the back. When I go full throttle there is a whistle sound when the engine is in the higher RPM range. I think it's intake/turbo noise, so I'm wondering if other people hear that too? I have the OEM intakes with K&N filters.
My 15 year old son says he can hear significant intake whistle/turbo spool in my car (BMS intakes, Velossa tech big mouths and stock exhaust)... I guess my tinnitus and old ass ears keep me from hearing it as well as he can. :LOL:

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm very happy with the sound of the Maintec exhaust, but from the perspective of a DIY project, I would take a look at ECV exhaust offerings from Kunstwerk and Jun Bl that use electrically actuated valves. The reason is simply simplicity of the install. It took me far longer to get the vacuum lines and electronics sorted than the actual exhaust replacement. I watched a video of Stinger ECV exhaust setup with electric valves, and it so simple.

While there are differences in the tonal quality of the exhausts, It's impossible to really tell via an iPhone recording on Youtube, and I don't think there is really a huge difference between them. The engine has certain tonal quality based on its design. An exhaust can enhance certain characters, but no exhaust is going to make this car sound like a gurgling push-rod V8.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm very happy with the sound of the Maintec exhaust, but from the perspective of a DIY project, I would take a look at ECV exhaust offerings from Kunstwerk and Jun Bl that use electrically actuated valves. The reason is simply simplicity of the install. It took me far longer to get the vacuum lines and electronics sorted than the actual exhaust replacement. I watched a video of Stinger ECV exhaust setup with electric valves, and it so simple.

While there are differences in the tonal quality of the exhausts, It's impossible to really tell via an iPhone recording on Youtube, and I don't think there is really a huge difference between them. The engine has certain tonal quality based on its design. An exhaust can enhance certain characters, but no exhaust is going to make this car sound like a gurgling push-rod V8.
I like my Kunstwerk, sounds great, also use 2 homelink buttons for open and close control very OE like.

twister

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I like my Kunstwerk, sounds great, also use 2 homelink buttons for open and close control very OE like.

Hi, where did you order them from - direct?

RonE_RRTX

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
It worked just fine...

I just watched the videos. Your valve assemblies are a different color than the ones I received in the kit. I got blue ones!

Polling question for those who have the Maintec EVC exhaust kit -
What color are your valve assemblies - Red or Blue?

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just watched the videos. Your valve assemblies are a different color than the ones I received in the kit. I got blue ones!

Mine are red.

Draco-REX

Registered Member
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Blue

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you guys get a whistle under hard acceleration since you installed your exhaust?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums