YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
US
G70 - 769 (1Q - 1,864)
G80 - 443 (1,512)
GV80 - 1,636 (4,440)
G90 - 158 (415)

Unlike for the GV80 (where it seems they are selling every one which hits ttese shores), sales of the new G80 have been a disappointment (barring some supply issue), but it's doing less than half of the volume upon the the name change of the prior gen and far less than when the 2G Genesis sedan launched (which would sell over 3k in its best months).

Figured that the new G80 would overtake the A6 (which has been selling around 1k/month) to retake the 3rd spot in lux midsize sales, but it's doing less than half of the volume needed.

The biggest thing is probably less than competitive lease deals.

The aging Lexus IS has seen a bit of a revival with its recent (2nd) facelift...

IS - 2,154 (6,028)

Hoping that with its refresh, the G70 can consistently do 1,200-1,500 in sales, but probably the lower end of that is more realistic without the upgrade to the 2.5T.

Trixie86

Registered Member
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
US
G70 - 769 (1Q - 1,864)
G80 - 443 (1,512)
GV80 - 1,636 (4,440)
G90 - 158 (415)

Unlike for the GV80 (where it seems they are selling every one which hits ttese shores), sales of the new G80 have been a disappointment (barring some supply issue), but it's doing less than half of the volume upon the the name change of the prior gen and far less than when the 2G Genesis sedan launched (which would sell over 3k in its best months).

Figured that the new G80 would overtake the A6 (which has been selling around 1k/month) to retake the 3rd spot in lux midsize sales, but it's doing less than half of the volume needed.

The biggest thing is probably less than competitive lease deals.

The aging Lexus IS has seen a bit of a revival with its recent (2nd) facelift...

IS - 2,154 (6,028)

Hoping that with its refresh, the G70 can consistently do 1,200-1,500 in sales, but probably the lower end of that is more realistic without the upgrade to the 2.5T.
Not up on lease stuff or supply issues, but shopping for a 21 G80 is a grind. A complete lack of inventory. Can't make a sale if not on the shelf.

dhb220

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
As always, thanks for posting the sales figures!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ You're welcome...

Genesis2021*

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just bought a 2021 G80. Nice to buy a somewhat unique car. There are so many Audis and Mercedes around my neighborhood that no one takes notice of models under $100,000

G-865064

Congratulations, trim and color?
2.5L Prestige. Uyuni White with a beige. I had it shipped from 5 states away. I could find only one other like it on the East coast. Someone had mentioned on this thread that buying a G80 is a grind. It’s worse than that. It took over a month of negotiations and aggravation to get what I wanted. It shouldn’t be that hard !

Genesis2021*

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Congratulations, trim and color?
2.5L Prestige. Uyuni White with a beige interior . I had it shipped from 5 states away. I could find only one other like it on the East coast. Someone had mentioned on this thread that buying a G80 is a grind. It’s worse than that. It took over a month of negotiations and aggravation to get what I wanted. It shouldn’t be that hard !

Trixie86

Registered Member
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
2.5L Prestige. Uyuni White with a beige interior . I had it shipped from 5 states away. I could find only one other like it on the East coast. Someone had mentioned on this thread that buying a G80 is a grind. It’s worse than that. It took over a month of negotiations and aggravation to get what I wanted. It shouldn’t be that hard !
Yeah, that was me. Unfortunately, I gave up. The midwest is just not on the short list for Prestige. Did get a little info for the future. 21s are done, 22s in the next 3-4 months. Enjoy your ride.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Canada
G70 - 72 (155)
G80 - 26 (85)
GV80 - 160 (374)
G90 - 5 (14)

Australia - 54
G70 - 10
G80 - 5
GV80 - 39

Russia - 245

Passed Infiniti in Russia (ok, that's not saying much); next is Cadillac and then LR.

Last edited:

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Canada
G70 - 72 (155)
G80 - 26 (85)
GV80 - 160 (374)
G90 - 5 (14)

Russia - 245

Passed Infiniti in Russia (ok, that's not saying much); next is Cadillac and then LR.
No surprise but 60% of sales for the month and YTD were the GV80.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ Don't see G70 sales improving much there (or here) until the next gen (longer WB and engine/interior upgrades), but the puzzling thing is that G80 sales should be better (wonder if it is a supply issue like for what some have experienced here or are the lease deals not competitive enough?).

Last edited:

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ Don't see G70 sales improving much there (or here) until the next gen (longer WB and engine/interior upgrades), but the puzzling thing is that G80 sales should be better (wonder if it is a supply issue like for what some have experienced here or are the lease deals not competitive enough?).
From the U.S. numbers you posted earlier, GV80 sales are nearly as lopsided as in Canada. 54% of sales both for March and Q1 are GV80. It would be interesting to know what's happening with G80 sales.

Yep

I was initially set on purchasing a new 2021 G80. I became extremely frustrated working with the Hyundai dealer.....as a matter of fact, it just turned me from the brand. They promised one thing on one night and something else the next day. They would not move at all from the sticker, including dealer fees, etc...at one point said I could go down a trim level. I walked away, went to Audi and paid cash for a 2021 A5 sportback loaded which they brought in from another dealer for the color I wanted.

goG80go

Registered Member
I think the lagging G80 sales could be due to the 2021 model prices pushing them equal to or closer to other luxury brands. People may just be rejecting the Hyundai sales/service model at these prices. And like the previous poster, my dealings with the dealer/Genesis support has left a bad taste in my mouth. It has also turned my wife off on purchasing a GV80. She will probably be going with a Lexus.
Such a shame as they are such fine cars.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the lagging G80 sales could be due to the 2021 model prices pushing them equal to or closer to other luxury brands. People may just be rejecting the Hyundai sales/service model at these prices. And like the previous poster, my dealings with the dealer/Genesis support has left a bad taste in my mouth. It has also turned my wife off on purchasing a GV80. She will probably be going with a Lexus.
Such a shame as they are such fine cars.
Dealer network is weak and in no way up to the standards of the class that Genesis is looking to compete with. Worse, the personnel are really not trained to deal with those used to buying cars from the high end competition.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
I was initially set on purchasing a new 2021 G80. I became extremely frustrated working with the Hyundai dealer.....as a matter of fact, it just turned me from the brand. They promised one thing on one night and something else the next day. They would not move at all from the sticker, including dealer fees, etc...at one point said I could go down a trim level. I walked away, went to Audi and paid cash for a 2021 A5 sportback loaded which they brought in from another dealer for the color I wanted.

Can understand the frustration of them promising things and not sticking to it, but not moving from sticker is another thing (if that's the going market price for where you are).

While it seems you got a good deal on the Sportback, Audi dealerships are charging a premium for more in demand models like the RS6 Avant (some, tacking on as much as $50k).

goG80go

Registered Member
Dealer network is weak and in no way up to the standards of the class that Genesis is looking to compete with. Worse, the personnel are really not trained to deal with those used to buying cars from the high end competition.

You have lower level service people trying to sell expensive cars to a clientele that is pretty savvy. What could possibly go wrong. I LOL'ed when the "sales manager" stepped in to help with the deal and "explained" how much my trade in would save on taxes. I asked him if there was a new law passed where sales tax shot up to 20%. His response was that maybe his math was wrong. Ya think? Along with the other 5 things wrong I had to correct on the sales slip. Educated savvy consumers have no patience for this.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You have lower level service people trying to sell expensive cars to a clientele that is pretty savvy. What could possibly go wrong. I LOL'ed when the "sales manager" stepped in to help with the deal and "explained" how much my trade in would save on taxes. I asked him if there was a new law passed where sales tax shot up to 20%. His response was that maybe his math was wrong. Ya think? Along with the other 5 things wrong I had to correct on the sales slip. Educated savvy consumers have no patience for this.
Not surprising they either make those errors or try to get away with stuff. Unfortunately, the Concierge service doesn't eliminate the Hyundai dealer impression. You have already gone there to buy the car, need to deal with the same people and get the same service. So what, they come to pick up your car and drop off a loaner. They come at their own convenience, so it does not help me when they arrive with a loaner at my house at 10am. I am already at work for three hours. Really like my G70, but I am under no illusions that I bought a competitor to a BMW/Merc.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums