Mirror Cover/Cap Replacement

Nd1017

Registered Member
Anyone know how to remove/replace the side mirror covers? I've seen videos on it for the stinger, don't know if its the same process. From sales posting of mirror caps for G70 on eBay screws on the inside looks different like you have to remove from bottom.

Nd1017

Registered Member
Just an update. Its apparently a pain in the ass job. Took it to a body shop they disabled the housing as best they can but doesn't seem like the cap wants to come off easily. Will try the dealer next.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang... No good. If a body shop is having trouble then it sounds like it's no easy feat. Keep us updated on what the dealer says! I wish Genesis/Hyundai would give us access to the factory service manual - would be VERY helpful.

Nd1017

Registered Member
Dang... No good. If a body shop is having trouble then it sounds like it's no easy feat. Keep us updated on what the dealer says! I wish Genesis/Hyundai would give us access to the factory service manual - would be VERY helpful.
My rep did say that the tech would need to pull directions from genesis as this is the first time they've gotten this request. I asked if they could print me a copy after the service out of curiosity. If I get it I'll pass it on. Crossing my fingers they can even install them I just want it done at this point. 😥

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My rep did say that the tech would need to pull directions from genesis as this is the first time they've gotten this request. I asked if they could print me a copy after the service out of curiosity. If I get it I'll pass it on. Crossing my fingers they can even install them I just want it done at this point. 😥
I don't blame you. When things don't go as planned on your car it can get very stressful, very quickly!

Nd1017

Registered Member
Final update on this topic. Dealer came to the same conclusion as the first body shop, and a 2nd aftermarket shop I'm good with. Wiring harness won't come out of the mirror nicely so the caps can't come off. The hole is too small for the plugs to fit through. So seems like replacing the cap is not worth the trouble.

Nd1017

Registered Member
Alright took a while but it was finally done. Located a shop who was confident enough to tackle this job.

This is definitely beyond DIY, even as an electrical engineering taking this on myself would've been daunting for fear of breaking something and having to buy a whole another assemble roughly 1300 quoted by dealership.

Dunfab in NJ took on this task for about 4 hours. They knew right away they would have to depin every wire to get these caps off. Genesis also red loctite some of the Phillip's head. Heating up the screws with a soldering iron did not help and the heads snapped and ended up being replaced.

Those were the major obstacles required to get the OEM caps off. Reassembly requires less effort still requires you to put all the pins back in the correct spots.

TLDR: Thanks to Dunfab motorsports. Genesis makes it a super pain in the ass to replace caps. Dealership would not take on this job

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ crap...well that sucks. Wanted to do this...no way now.

Thanks!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah sadly I already had them so I felt like I had to finish the job started 😅
Dang... I don't blame you. Even so, it sounds like you found a really good shop to do the hard work!! That process sounds crazy. Looks like I won't be touching my side mirrors....ever. Haha.

In the end you got yourself some sweet looking mirror caps. Definitely one of a kind car you have now!

Nd1017

Registered Member
Definitely one of a kind now. Much headache trying to get them on. But hey now if anyone in the tri state area wants to get them done we know a good shop in NJ. Just make sure to name drop me for a referral 😁

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.