Mis-aimed headlights from the factory

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone else have this problem? I drove my car at night for the 2nd time since I got it two weeks ago, and noticed that the low-beam cut off was at about the level of oncoming car's roofs. Not surprisingly, I got flashed with high beams by 7 or 8 cars on the way home from work. Off to the dealer I go... :rolleyes:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmmm...I thought they auto-adjust every time you start the car. Any sensors dirty?

Perhaps the levelers are off.

Odd that it’s both (or is it?)

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
You should be able to adjust them yourself - pretty sure anyway.
I can and have adjusted mine because they were too low

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmmm...I thought they auto-adjust every time you start the car. Any sensors dirty?

Perhaps the levelers are off.

Odd that it’s both (or is it?)

It's both. I've aimed headlights before, but never with auto leveling. Maybe I'll try and break things under the hood this weekend. (y)

GranPoppy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I am having the same problem with my 2018 G90 (New car for me). The top of my low beam light only reach out about 50 feet. When I drive at night without high beams, it like driving into a dark hole. After pointing my headlight against a wall, my dealer says they are adjusted correctly. Seems like there should be a more scientific way to adjust. At night, there is no way to see anything without light more than 50 in front of you and if driving at 65 or 70, it gives you about a half second to react. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get my low beams to shoot our further?

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am having the same problem with my 2018 G90 (New car for me). The top of my low beam light only reach out about 50 feet. When I drive at night without high beams, it like driving into a dark hole. After pointing my headlight against a wall, my dealer says they are adjusted correctly. Seems like there should be a more scientific way to adjust. At night, there is no way to see anything without light more than 50 in front of you and if driving at 65 or 70, it gives you about a half second to react. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get my low beams to shoot our further?
Old school approach. There appear to be adjustment screws behind the headlights close to the fenders. Park your car on a level surface at nite, lights on and walk out 30 to 40 feet away. Squat down partially so your eyes are maybe 3 ft or so from the ground and see how the lights look? Blinding and too high or aimed to low? Use the adjustments screw to raise the headlight assembly a turn or two and repeat looking at the light 30 to 40 feet away. Raise them till your comfortable but the light is not directly in your eyes. When finished pull down close to a closed garage door or blank wall and see that both beams are at the same height. Go drive and test it. If your not flashed your probably good. I’ve used this method over the years just fine but YMMV. Not sure how self leveling works on our vehicles though.

GranPoppy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
So, after waiting two weeks for an appointment with another dealer, my headlight problem has been corrected. For others that may be struggling with to low or to high headlights, here is the solution from a dealer that took ownership and time to solve the problem.
"Found suspension height rod loose from mounting stud. Re-secured rod and lighting low beam now adjusts as designed and aimed properly." From another post regarding this same issue, this evidently is a leveling sensor for the automatic adjusting headlight on the G90. So it is possible for it to become detached from the mounting bracket which causes the headlight to move to and remained fix at their maximum high or low positions.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I always felt mine were aimed a little lower as they appeared to drop off at about 60 to 70 feet.

I can now say... Wow, what a big difference it has made after I adjusted them up just a bit. This is how they should have been from the factory.

I don't have a before picture but here's a night shot after the adjustment.

VideoCapture_20200303-063945.jpg

Last edited:

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I always felt mine were aimed a little lower as they appeared to drop off at about 60 to 70 feet.

I can now say... Wow, what a big difference it has made after I adjusted them up just a bit. This is how they should have been from the factory.

I don't have a before picture but here's a night shot after the adjustment.

View attachment 27350
So you manually adjusted these and the auto leveling feature did not attempt to undo your changes?

kolme

"Diablo Rojo"
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Low aimed headlights were a common issue in the DH Sedans. Many people, myself included, had to manually adjust the lights, so it seems plausible.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I may try this, actually. I've noticed my headlights seem to point just a little bit too low.

jfgenesis

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i have been driving my genesis for 3000 miles now, and while i love the car, hate getting flashed by oncoming cars as if i have my high beams on.. i typically put them on to show them they werent, but that doesnt solve the problem of having to deal with that... so at the dealer now hoping they are aimed a bit too high maybe? i did love how bright they were for me though! can see things i have never seen before driving!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners