• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 and Collinite 845

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Over the weekend my son was home from college so we cleaned up and detailed the Genesis, Sonata Limited, and his Ford Focus ST. After washing we used the Mothers Speed Clay 2.0. MUCH faster than traditional clay bar and you dip it in your car soap for lubrication. Says it will last for about twenty vehicles (and if you drop it, you only have to rinse it off in the wash bucket). It did a great job and was comfortable to use.
Followed up with Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Applied very sparingly but the wax really brings the shine. All three cars took less than 6 ounces to do. Comes off easy with a microfiber towel (one did all three cars). How little product was needed really amazed me. We'll see how it lasts, but it made the Empire State Gray, Light blue (Sonata), and Race Red Focus ST shine like new money.
Impressed.

(Photos are just iPhone quality)

Attachments

JerryK73

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Try using a spray head from a 16oz. spray bottle on the collinite. 1 or 2 sprays onto a pad should be good for a panel.

Rodney Dangerfield

Registered Member
Texas panhandle
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Update on how long it's lasted? I've only recently found out about the speedclay as i never really had a vehicle I cared about as well as the time to care for it prior to this (college and working like crazy). I'm going to get one and fix the rock chips and paint scrapes before possibly putting a ceramic coat on so I can just wipe off the plethora of bugs that give up their ghost on my car daily.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Speed Clay is a convenient product. I've used it a few times.
There are even Clay mitts and cloths now.
It's still an abrasive so you do need proper lubrication.

Damagecontrol1

Genesis Model Type
I just bought a 2015 Santiago Silver Genesis AWD and love the car. The dealership did a full detail on it and it looks great. My other car is a 2004 Lexus SC430 which I detail. First I start out with a good washing with Meguires gold class soap. Next is the Mothers speed clay ( fantastic product ) using a fresh bucket of Gold class and rinsing after every section. Finish with Colonites 845, which is an outstanding $20 bottle of wax. It's pretty thick, so the best way to use it is to let it sit in a bucket of warm water for about 10 minutes than shake it up real good. Put a spray cap on it and spray some product onto a detailing applicator. Just don't use too much, it spreads nicely. I wait about 3 weeks and apply another coat without any claying. Now after washing, it beads up so nice and feels so smooth that it is an eye catcher. The shine is incredible. Best wax ever. Can't wait to use it on my Genesis in about a month.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Update on how long it's lasted? I've only recently found out about the speedclay as i never really had a vehicle I cared about as well as the time to care for it prior to this (college and working like crazy). I'm going to get one and fix the rock chips and paint scrapes before possibly putting a ceramic coat on so I can just wipe off the plethora of bugs that give up their ghost on my car daily.
I just reapplied another coat of the Collinite on the Genesis. It was still beading nicely but I think 6 month intervals are about right. The Genesis and Sonata are garaged, the Focus ST is not (college), but even the Ford seems to still bead okay.

Rodney Dangerfield

Registered Member
Texas panhandle
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I was thinking of going with a ceramic coating, but I would need to probably take it in for paint correction, there's far too many spots to fix myself. I was looking for something that would bead up water nicely in the meantime. I'll give the Collinite a try since it might be a while before I do anything more extensive. The 2011 4.6 I just bought is my daily driver so I don't really care about having the paint perfect just yet. I drive on deserted country roads to get to work since my last daily driver was demolished by a semi. I appreciate the update!