• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Motoman - Hyundai Palisade review

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Reviews of the Palisade have come out in force during the past week, and like for the Telluride, have been very positive.

Reason why posting the Motoman review is that it adds some technical info. that the others don't.

4:14 mark - talks about the amount and placement of high strength steel and how that impacts roof/structural rigidity

Foward to 13:00 mark - showing that the Palisade uses German supplied Sachs shocks (unless opting for the auto-leveling system, where get Sachs shocks only at the front) whereas the Telluride uses Korean supplied Mando shocks which impact ride and handling.

farandaway

Registered Member
Thanks, does anyone know if they drive/handle differently, or are they pretty much identical aside from plush vs adventurous?

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I gotta say... this look nice, but I think the Santa Fe had better lines. I don't like busy elements that serve no purpose (those double headlights ala Jeep as an example.) I think the Telluride looks better overall. Then again, the Telluride looks like a (much) updated Borrego, which my wife happened to own.

I like them both, but I'd lean more towards the Kia at this time. There's a really nice white one in my neighborhood!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Thanks, does anyone know if they drive/handle differently, or are they pretty much identical aside from plush vs adventurous?
Based upon the reviews, both ride/handle pretty similarly - but the Hyundai is a bit more compliant over rough pavement and has a bit less body-roll due to having more advanced shocks.

Some additional differences:

Palisade
- powered-folding/reclining 3rd row seats (personally, rather do w/o them as faster to just do it manually and it reduces cargo space, of which already has less than the Telluride)
- paddle shifters
- self-leveling suspension standard w/ 20" wheels (on Telluride, need to get the tow package on higher trims)
- top H/K audio system gets 2 additional speakers compared to the Kia

Telluride
- available power-folding mirrors (mistake for Hyundai to omit this on the Palisade; more useful than the 3rd row power-folding/reclining seats)
- greater cargo space behind 3rd row

Neither H/K can keep up w/ demand (for the Palisade, included Korean buyers who are waiting as much as 10 months).

There are dealers marking up the heavily in-demand SXP trim for the Telluride (which can't be ordered right now).

One dealer added $7k to the MSRP and was still able to sell it.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Yikes, seems like I may have to wait a while before I can get the car.

Does Circle pricing work on the Palisade/Telluride, as people are posting on the Genesis?
Don't know about the Palisade, but from what I have heard - Kia stopped offering employee/vendor pricing as retail customers get priority.

The early purchasers of the Telluride actually got a better deal (dealers were more willing to haggle) - as that was before word started to get around about the Telluride (and before advertising really ramped up).

One thing forgot to mention about the diff. in equip level.

The Telluride only has 2-way adjustable lumbar support, whereas the Palisade has 4-way (at least for the top trims).

Not sure why Kia didn't opt for 4-way as they have it on other models.

Another thing is wish they offered the same level of adjustment for the passenger seat.

Hope Genesis does that for its upcoming models.

vik

I drove both didn't like how telluride drive ... palisade you feel much better road and as comfortable as telluride its just more enjoyable to drive ..... also no one noticed nowhere .... which is making big different for buyer like me hyunday have 44.1 kia has only 41.4 for front seats legroom ,since i have big legs its big plus ... Hyundai drives like KIA looks and opposite to KIA for me this factors also interior design and quality win so i bought palisade limited AWD and loving it .... despite i still like exterior of kia better but im spending much more time driving and enjoying inside atmosphere then looking at exterior ....

vik

I drove both didn't like how telluride drive ... palisade you feel much better road and as comfortable as telluride its just more enjoyable to drive ..... also no one noticed nowhere .... which is making big different for buyer like me hyunday have 44.1 kia has only 41.4 for front seats legroom ,since i have big legs its big plus ... Hyundai drives like KIA looks and opposite to KIA for me this factors also interior design and quality win so i bought palisade limited AWD and loving it .... despite i still like exterior of kia better but im spending much more time driving and enjoying inside atmosphere then looking at exterior ....

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I pocketed $50 from Hyundai for test driving the Palisade two weeks ago. I wasn’t impressed with the engine. The dashboard is very boring and the Nav/Aux/etc. buttons are hard to read and all in a long boring row. The electric parking brake button is awkwardly hidden on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel shaft. I missed the shift lever too. Very much. A console shift knob is sacred to me.

I was very happy to get back into my ‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0 and zoom off.

MG8

Proud owner of two Genesis vehicles
San Francisco/Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
I pocketed $50 from Hyundai for test driving the Palisade two weeks ago. I wasn’t impressed with the engine. The dashboard is very boring and the Nav/Aux/etc. buttons are hard to read and all in a long boring row. The electric parking brake button is awkwardly hidden on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel shaft. I missed the shift lever too. Very much. A console shift knob is sacred to me.

I was very happy to get back into my ‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0 and zoom off.
It's new, its different from any other Hyundai they changed it up and I'm ok with that I'm ok with change I like it. From The napa leather to the digital gauges and camera when hitting the the turn signals, power 3rd row its impressive for a hyundai and shows they have came a long way . wonder what trim you tested out ? But I agree I prefer having a shifter than buttons.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
It's new, its different from any other Hyundai they changed it up and I'm ok with that I'm ok with change I like it. From The napa leather to the digital gauges and camera when hitting the the turn signals, power 3rd row its impressive for a hyundai and shows they have came a long way . wonder what trim you tested out ? But I agree I prefer having a shifter than buttons.
My above comments about the Palisade relate to all models, so it’s irrelevant which trim level I test drove. In particular, I wasn’t impressed with the engine. For the record, I own a 3.8 ‘12 Genesis and a ‘19 Santa Fe 2.0 Ultimate.

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My above comments about the Palisade relate to all models, so it’s irrelevant which trim level I test drove. In particular, I wasn’t impressed with the engine. For the record, I own a 3.8 ‘12 Genesis and a ‘19 Santa Fe 2.0 Ultimate.
The new Atkinson Cycle 3.8L is anemic.

MG8

Proud owner of two Genesis vehicles
San Francisco/Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
cool story,i mean you did mention the dash, nav, aux , buttons, parking brake location, a long boring row, and mention the shaft ect.... i believe that is inside the vehicle and part of interior. imo the steering, suspension, interior are well done, inside was actually very quiet as well , agree not the best engine but it holds its own in its class, Unless you’re trying to pass slower vehicles at altitude. to each his own. nice vehicles you got there. i to am a proud owner of a 12 Genesis sedan 5.0 Rspec , and a 15 hyundai santa fe xl with the a 3.3L v6 , i enjoy them both of them ,oh yeah and theres also that little Merc that i also own.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums