Motor Trend.. But we knew this already!

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It's important to note that the G90 achieved this fine review without its proposed "100 standalone" dealerships. While this Motor Trend story doesn't focus on the service experience, a very good argument could be made for freezing the current structure and NOT spinning off and abandoning otherwise sales-productive Hyundai/Genesis combo dealerships.

Most of us Genesis owners really enjoy the value that we are getting with our vehicles. We don't mind so much breathing the same air as standard Hyundai owners when we need service. Instead, we very much like the fact that we are driving one of the greatest luxury vehicles ever made at a relatively bargain price. Who really needs consierge service?

Yes, maybe before Genesis Motors sets off on their "100 standalone" plan, they should do a few more customer focus groups. If I can't get to a convenient dealer within a reasonable distance from home, I won't be making their future "uptown journey" with them. I know I'm not alone.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It's important to note that the G90 achieved this fine review without its proposed "100 standalone" dealerships. While this Motor Trend story doesn't focus on the service experience, a very good argument could be made for freezing the current structure and NOT spinning off and abandoning otherwise sales-productive Hyundai/Genesis combo dealerships.

Most of us Genesis owners really enjoy the value that we are getting with our vehicles. We don't mind so much breathing the same air as standard Hyundai owners when we need service. Instead, we very much like the fact that we are driving one of the greatest luxury vehicles ever made at a relatively bargain price. Who really needs consierge service?

Yes, maybe before Genesis Motors sets off on their "100 standalone" plan, they should do a few more customer focus groups. If I can't get to a convenient dealer within a reasonable distance from home, I won't be making their future "uptown journey" with them. I know I'm not alone.
Just to make things clear, I don’t see you own a G80 or G90 and yet you purport to be speaking not for yourself but for all present and future G80 and G90 owners who have and will be paying a lot more than I suspect you paid. You say that they don’t want separate dealers and showrooms and will be happy with very likely poorer customer service.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your premise personally but I do disagree that all or most future owners will not care about such things in exchange for some potential and unknown price increase. What do you base that on? Have you taken a poll? Suppose it on added $100 to the cost, still disagree? I am sure you can come up with some number that will swing future owners but there are LOTS of variables (price crease, standard equipment, service, incentives, buying experience, etc) that are going to be changing n the future that you don’t know about but presumably Genesis does that supports Genesis’s strategy.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Just to make things clear, I don’t see you own a G80 or G90 and yet you purport to be speaking not for yourself but for all present and future G80 and G90 owners who have and will be paying a lot more than I suspect you paid. You say that they don’t want separate dealers and showrooms and will be happy with very likely poorer customer service.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your premise personally but I do disagree that all or most future owners will not care about such things in exchange for some potential and unknown price increase. What do you base that on? Have you taken a poll? Suppose it on added $100 to the cost, still disagree? I am sure you can come up with some number that will swing future owners but there are LOTS of variables (price crease, standard equipment, service, incentives, buying experience, etc) that are going to be changing n the future that you don’t know about but presumably Genesis does that supports Genesis’s strategy.
Sorry that you don't seem to be able allow other Genesis owners to express an opinion. Certainly you can fathom that a current Genesis owner, like me, is a very good prospect to purchase another Genesis someday. If I ever do so, I'll be sure to ask your permission first.

My post above was clearly stated. I won't repeat myself just because you didn't grasp my thoughts.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Oh see, when you said “we don’t mind” and “we don’t care” you meant the royal “we” which is just you. Glad you weren’t speaking for most others. Sure now I get it!

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Oh see, when you said “we don’t mind” and “we don’t care” you meant the royal “we” which is just you. Glad you weren’t speaking for most others. Sure now I get it!
If you read my post it basically states that most of us Genesis owners (we) don't mind breathing the same air as standard Hyundai owners. There was no "royal we" intended. Sure, some Hyundai dealers are better places to visit than others.

Last fall I took my Genesis to the local BMW dealer for a detailing. It was nice enough, but nothing special. As a matter of fact, one of the detail guys there told me that I should better pay him to do the detailing work on the side the next time. Also, now I keep getting solicitation letters from the BMW dealer to buy an extended vehicle warranty from them. I've got one of those already, through my Hyundai dealer, that runs till 2024.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
If you read my post it basically states that most of us Genesis owners (we) don't mind breathing the same air as standard Hyundai owners. There was no "royal we" intended. Sure, some Hyundai dealers are better places to visit than others.
My comment which seems to be lost on you was that you don’t speak for me or possibly many other owners when you make the factual statement about what WE like or mind. Of course you can and should speak for your self but you are not the spokesman for genesis owners or potential owners. What you take as a universal truth just may not be so.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
But you are not a Genesis owner like those who bought a G80 or a G90 - you are a Hyundai owner and you bought into a much different brand/model proposition with your 2012 Hyundai Genesis...

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
Most of us Genesis owners really enjoy the value that we are getting with our vehicles. We don't mind so much breathing the same air as standard Hyundai owners when we need service. Instead, we very much like the fact that we are driving one of the greatest luxury vehicles ever made at a relatively bargain price. Who really needs consierge [sic] service?
I also enjoy the value these vehicles provide...however, having dealt with my local Hyundai dealer in years past while car shopping, I can say that particular experience was very unpleasant. This was one dealership I'd rather not go for any car purchases.
Fast-forward two years and I returned to this particular dealership (begrudgingly) with my 2nd gen Genesis for warranty part replacement (faulty in-dash head unit). My only other alternative was to drive 45-minutes (vs 5 minutes) to the next-closest Hyundai dealership. This time, I was treated kindly, given a loaner for 3 days (a new G80) and overall, had a pleasant experience. Now had I owned a newer Genesis (not a 2015 Hyundai Gen), they'd have offered the concierge service, and for me, I'd much rather have that option than having to drive to the Hyundai dealership.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
But you are not a Genesis owner like those who bought a G80 or a G90 - you are a Hyundai owner and you bought into a much different brand/model proposition with your 2012 Hyundai Genesis...
Is it fair to call it a 'much different' brand/model proposition? I could see that with, say an Elantra, but an OG Genesis? All Hyundai did was lightly expand on what they started in '08 (for the '09 Gen) and they haven't even fully rolled out all of the models. And still, you have to go to a Hyundai dealer to pick up a Genesis anyway.

I can't speak for other states, but I know in NJ for the 1G there were some dealers offering a luxury experience and others would pick up your car for service and leave you a loaner (those with more knowledge on it feel free to chime in).

If this was 10 years down the line and the brand was more established that'd be one thing, but we're only 1.5-2 years out of the gate. For now, I honestly don't think it would kill them to take it slow and steady. I can't imagine they'd be hurting for sales as long as they keep pushing for that 'higher experience' (of course, they'll eventually have to set the higher experience as a standard if they want to truly compete IMO).

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Is it fair to call it a 'much different' brand/model proposition? I could see that with, say an Elantra, but an OG Genesis? All Hyundai did was lightly expand on what they started in '08 (for the '09 Gen) and they haven't even fully rolled out all of the models. And still, you have to go to a Hyundai dealer to pick up a Genesis anyway.
Completely fair, imho. I had 2 G2's. They were Hyundai's not Genesis's and there were no extras promised. For G80/G90 owners, the brand promised more and appears to be trying to do that by distancing themselves from the Hyundai experience. 2 out of 3 of the Hyundai dealers I dealt with in NJ were awful (Brad Benson (Now DCN) was downright atrocious) - both for sales and service. The 3rd was OK - but not up to par with what you would expect when you are spending 50K+ on a car. For example, getting an Elanta as a loaner for a defective car for extended periods like I did is likey not the experience most luxury buyers want.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Completely fair, imho. I had 2 G2's. They were Hyundai's not Genesis's and there were no extras promised. For G80/G90 owners, the brand promised more and appears to be trying to do that by distancing themselves from the Hyundai experience. 2 out of 3 of the Hyundai dealers I dealt with in NJ were awful (Brad Benson (Now DCN) was downright atrocious) - both for sales and service. The 3rd was OK - but not up to par with what you would expect when you are spending 50K+ on a car. For example, getting an Elanta as a loaner for a defective car for extended periods like I did is likey not the experience most luxury buyers want.
Wow no extras? Like, at all? Damn, I guess it comes down to the dealership and region. Because in NY/NJ they were definitely offering extras on the Genesis, and certainly the Equus.

Agree that an Elantra loaner isn't the greatest deal, but even over here dealers were offering 'near equivalents' IIRC. My dealer has an entire separate showroom for Genesis cars, but they still had a G2 Genesis car in there as well, it's a nice room (I've never been to Brad Benson's Hyundai).

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type

I can't speak for other states, but I know in NJ for the 1G there were some dealers offering a luxury experience and others would pick up your car for service and leave you a loaner (those with more knowledge on it feel free to chime in).

If this was 10 years down the line and the brand was more established that'd be one thing, but we're only 1.5-2 years out of the gate. For now, I honestly don't think it would kill them to take it slow and steady. I can't imagine they'd be hurting for sales as long as they keep pushing for that 'higher experience' (of course, they'll eventually have to set the higher experience as a standard if they want to truly compete IMO).
Precisely!

- - - Updated - - -

Funny how a non-Genesis owner continues to haunt this group. Hasn't that new Audi broken down yet?

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
What's funny is that my presence seems to get under your skin and the fact that I was actually more of a Genesis owner than you: I had 2 of the Hyundai that was rebadged as the Genesis G80. Meanwhile, you just have an older Hyundai - yet you seem to want to speak for actual Genesis owners. I just stop in occasionally to share my experiences when I see folks having similar issues- recently had a PM from a member on how to potentially pursue Lemon Law on his G80 Sport, for example.

It's a free Internet and I actually find it amusing that my occasional presence bothers you... And the S5 has been awesome so far - no issues to date and I'm enjoiyng FAR better driving dynamics than my Hyundai Genesis's exhibited - though, in fairness, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison as they were very different cars. If you got a G2 without a rattling pano roof and could deal with the lousy dealer experience tradeoffs that come with the lower price (at least in NJ), it's a decent car.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Meanwhile, you just have an older Hyundai - yet you seem to want to speak for actual Genesis owners.
Everything else aside, this may purely be a debate over semantics. Myself personally, I don't see a real difference between OG Genesis owners and Genesis brand owners when it comes to intent. I mean, Hyundai is literally marketing to the same crowd as before. No?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm purely a Genesis owner (in the truest sense of the word :laughing:).

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Everything else aside, this may be purely a debate over semantics. Myself personally, I don't see a real difference between OG Genesis owners and Genesis brand owners when it comes to intent.
One group can claim to be the enlightened pioneers that saw the future. The other group can claim purity of (snobbishness?) Genesis brand. From my observation here there seems to be two camps. One that does not mind buying from the Hyundai dealer and getting a good value, the others that don't want to be tainted having to park next to an Elantra. Funny to watch.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
One group can claim to be the enlightened pioneers that saw the future. The other group can claim purity of (snobbishness?) Genesis brand. From my observation here there seems to be two camps. One that does not mind buying from the Hyundai dealer and getting a good value, the others that don't want to be tainted having to park next to an Elantra. Funny to watch.
Ok you almost have it right. Take out snobbishness on the Genesis side and inset jealously on the Hyundai side and see how it reads. Biased? Yes? But both ways. Why assign negative attitudes when you don’t need to?

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Lol I would definitely be in the group that doesn't mind buying from the Hyundai dealer/value; but some folks do need that 'push' to justify the 50k, I can't be mad at them, it's a lot of duckets.

For me though, Genesis as a brand just hasn't been around enough to develop that separate cache it seeks. That's partly why I don't recognize the fledgling Hyundai vs. Genesis debate because they are still very much Hyundais in my eyes. With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 5 years from now? Yeah, that might be a problem.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Everything else aside, this may purely be a debate over semantics. Myself personally, I don't see a real difference between OG Genesis owners and Genesis brand owners when it comes to intent. I mean, Hyundai is literally marketing to the same crowd as before. No?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm purely a Genesis owner (in the truest sense of the word :laughing:).
Hyundai not marketing to anyone as it is now Genesis Motors doing the marketing... and they very clearly are not marketing to the same crowd as before. They are trying to move upscale and disassociate their vehicles from the Hyundai brand.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Hyundai not marketing to anyone as it is now Genesis Motors doing the marketing... and they very clearly are not marketing to the same crowd as before. They are trying to move upscale and disassociate their vehicles from the Hyundai brand.
Again semantics.

Not marketing to the same crowd, then what do you call this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19q1zzZNTWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZsZ05FgZw

They called out their competitors by name. Here we are, 10 years later...Their self stated mission was to attract buyers from the upscale brands. I'm not really sure how that can be argued any other way. The best one could say is they want to 'expand' upon that, but that's what I said from the beginning.

You believe that Hyundai Genesis is nearly the same thing as Hyundai Sonata. But Hyundai never ever considered the Genesis a run in the mill Hyundai. It was always their upscale model, just as the Equus that followed it. I completely agree that Genesis Motors is trying to separate themselves (a good move down the line, but at best it just makes the decision easier for the buyers they're already trying to attract).

Think about it, they launched Genesis Motors with two cars that were already under the Hyundai name. You can't believe that only now they're marketing to an upscale crowd. They've been on this path for the last 10 years, this is just another step.

PS: I did want to add on a separate note that even though I'm sure Genesis Motors will be okay, the 100 dealers may be a bit premature. I think they should roll out a couple more models first. Not sure how it's going to work with the current dealer setup.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.