Multiple Electrical Malfunctions

Shagone

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
In the past few months my 2015 G80 has developed 3 electrical problems. First, the brake light on passenger side of trunk lid quit working. Shortly afterwards the feature on the trunk which permits one to open the trunk when car is locked and key is on their person quit. (The "Smart Lock" feature with the 3-beeps still works.) Finally, the back-up camera went out. The dealer told me yesterday that the electrical problems originate somewhere in the wiring system in the bowels of the vehicle and for a mere $5,500 they can remedy the problems! No thanks. I really enjoy the car and had planned to buy a 2022 model when they became available. Emphasis on the "had planned" since I've decided to get rid of the car rather than wait around to see what fails next. I will be buying something from a different manufacturer for my next car. Too bad. It was a pleasure to own and operate.

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Six years old - stuff happens. Could be rodent damage. What are you looking at for a full size sedan? Just curious.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The dealer told me yesterday that the electrical problems originate somewhere in the wiring system in the bowels of the vehicle and for a mere $5,500 they can remedy the problems!
That is what buying the extended warranty is for. It would have paid for it self and then some and you could have kept the car expense free for several more years.

Shagone

Florida
Genesis Model Type
That is what buying the extended warranty is for. It would have paid for it self and then some and you could have kept the car expense free for several more years.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Shagone

Florida
Genesis Model Type

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I guess you just wanted to complain instead of actually seeking help...

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Sometimes - on these weird electrical problems - it may be a bad battery.

My 2020 had all kinds of problems - the battery had a shorted cell - after replacement - everything worked fine.

P.S., the extended warranty is probably a scam - don't have a guilt complex over not buying it.

Signed - Your Mom!

Jtc527

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It’s the rear right trunk harness that is on the hinge

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
This is a well known wiring issue with a well documented diy solution in several posts here. Its a shame to bash and throw out a really great car for a relatively simple wiring fix.

here is the tsb.

Attachments

• MC-10174809-0001.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners