Multiple Faults Displayed

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thread starter #1
New forum member. Discovered your forum when searching for help with my 2015 3.8 Sedan.

While driving yesterday afternoon the car displayed multiple faults. Check AEB, Check PSB, Check BSD System, and Check TMPS. When I parked the car and restarted the engine all of the faults were gone. Later when driving home from work these appeared again after going about 15 miles. I pulled over and restarted the car again. This time the faults remained after restarting. It also effected the transmission as the car would now not shift out of first gear (and A/C stopped producing cold air). Now I had a big problem! I pulled over again and after a few restarts the car was able to shift normally and A/C was functioning normally. There were still some fault indicator lights on but it made it home.

I took this video that shows the faults. You can also see during the video that the engine coolant gauge and tachometer are having problems when these faults are present.
Here is a video I took of faults

Knowing this is some type of electrical/electronic faults I started troubleshooting at the battery. The negative connection was very loose I could remove it easily with a slight pull. I thought for sure this was the root cause. After tightening this terminal I restarted the car and the faults were still there. That led me to drive it straight to my nearest Hyundai dealer. They told me they could not look at it until 7/19! That is a week from tomorrow!! (I can share my experiences with this so-called Hyundai/Genesis dealer in another post). Since I have a week before they will look at my car I figured I would keep looking for the root cause myself.

When searching this forum I seen some similar posts where a similar problem occurred due to a faulty wheel speed sensor, and another that was caused by a faulty fuel control module. And one more that was due to poor connections on the BUS bar. This one I can check as soon as I get home. Do these seem logical to create this condition? It would seem to me this has to be due to a poor connection somewhere. Does someone have the expertise to tell me where to look or how to test wheel speed sensors? I have a multimeter and am an experienced electrical technician. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I bought this car used in January. I have really enjoyed driving it and hope this is not a sign of future things to come. Based on previous posts I do not expect this will be a significant problem going forward.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Take it by a dealer. They can test the alternator and the battery. Both of which can cause these problems. If it is the battery, check out the thread on replacing batteries.

celltech

Registered Member
if you have a multimeter and are experienced you can obviously check the voltages yourself. Maybe disconnect the battery for a while and then hook it back up. And check that buss bar in the fuse panel. This one sounds more like a battery/ground issue to me personally...

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you seem to be on the right track to get this fixed. In any case, welcome to the forum, sorry it was under adverse circumstances.

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #6
Thanks everyone. It seems whatever is causing this problem is well outside my skillset. My local dealer is worthless for servicing the car anytime soon. I had to drive it to another dealer 30 miles away who would look at it today. Glad it made it there without any problems. Hoping they can determine the root cause. I will follow up afterwards with the root cause and how much this repair costs :eek:

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #7
I got the car back today. Dealer replaced the fuel pump control module. Problem appears to be resolved. It must have had a problem that created these other faults in the CAN network. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. I bought the car used (CPO) in January. It was three years old in March. I was pleased this component was still covered. I also see there is a new part number for this module versus the one they removed. Hopefully the new controller is more robust.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I got the car back today. Dealer replaced the fuel pump control module. Problem appears to be resolved. It must have had a problem that created these other faults in the CAN network. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. I bought the car used (CPO) in January. It was three years old in March. I was pleased this component was still covered. I also see there is a new part number for this module versus the one they removed. Hopefully the new controller is more robust.
Good news that it is fixed, better news that it was covered. I never would have guessed that a part of the fuel system would cause those problems but I;ll take the word of the computer that found it.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Good news that it is fixed, better news that it was covered. I never would have guessed that a part of the fuel system would cause those problems but I;ll take the word of the computer that found it.
Chalk one up for the computer. No one here, including myself, guessed that solution.

celltech

Registered Member
I find this fascinating. I work in the telecom industry and we have a few platforms where circuit packs have several different backplane/buss connections for various functions. Multiple times we have seen a pack go insane and take down the whole buss with chatter causing the other packs to get confused and quit talking to one another. Didn't expect to see that in my car ;-)

carguy75

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It is good that Hyundai found and fixed the issue out of warranty.

I would invest is a upscale scan tool that can interface with the system control modules. I have an Autel MaxiDiag Elite scanner which can scan the various control modules which is very important when diagnosing issues with these newer digital automotive systems since the system modules are so interlaced with each other .

CarlitoGR

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
I just had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago. Just like you said the Fuel controller was the culprit. I have an extra brand new unused one that I was going to offer up. But I'm glad you got it squared away!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.