my 2 month 2,000 review of my G80 Sport

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
So this past weekend I hit the 2 month 2,000 mile on my 2018 G80 Sport, and I thought I would share my impressions of the vehicle.

my impressions:

I love the car overall, there is very little I don't like about it, it is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever owned, my daily stuck in traffic for 1.5 hour commute has become less of a dread and more relaxed enjoyment.

Pros:

1. The sound system is outstanding, though it could use a bit more bass, overall it is an excellent system by far one of the best OEM I have ever owned
  2. The seats are super comfortable, not just the drivers, but I've had family in it, 4 passengers and they all said the ride was very comfortable, even the one stuck in the rear center hump.
  3. Overall the driving characteristics are good, it is a bit "soft" in corning, even in sport there is too much body roll IMO, but for a 5,000lb vehicle it does very well over all. The Twin Turbos give it good punch at low RPMs to merge, pass, and lane change without feeling like you are lumbering to get up to speed.
  4. The interior is ultra quiet with the windows up and sunroof closed, I was actually pleasantly pleased at how quiet it was compared to my Lexus, that cost $30K more and was a lot more noisy, given Lexus prides itself on it's quiet interiors.
  5. Overall I find the vehicle a pleasure to drive, and thus far my experience with my Hyundai/Genesis dealership have been good.
  6. Love the over all look of the car, personally a big fan of the cooper accent points in the grille, headlights, and wheel caps. Gives the car a unique touch that stands out.
  7. Now that I have them dialed in to my tastes, I love the semi-autonomous drive features it makes my commute that much more relaxing.
  8. Great HVAC system, I always felt the HVAC in my Lexus was underpowered, no matter the setting it never seemed to blow very hard or keep the vehicle at the pre-set temp.
  9. Great heated and Cooled seats, my 2010 Avalanche had by far the best of both the G80 is a very close second. My 2012 Camaro and 2015 Lexus the heated/cooled seats were anemic, even on high you couldn't really tell if they were functioning or not, and it is a known issue and a huge complaint by Lexus owners on most models since 2013.

Cons:

1. Do not like the gimmicky shifter, this is my single biggest complaint about the car, it seems like an afterthought, half push button, half lever. pick one. either all push button or all lever. I really wish it had the manual shift in the shifter, not a big fan of paddles. And while we are talking about shifting, HOLD GEAR in sport mode, it is highly irritating to be taking a corner in 3rd and have the damn car kick back into drive and upshift to 5th or 6th in the apex of the turn.
  2. The "hands free" trunk,. unless I stand in the exact right place it doesn't work, it beeps then stops, so I have to move then it beeps and stops.. and hitting the button to manually open it doesn't always work either, it is my opinion that the sensor is not located in the correct spot, it seems that it only works regularly and without issue if I stand 8-10" from the right rear tail light, not the center of the vehicle as one would expect.
  3. No soft close on the doors
  4. No LED light or touch to unlock button on the rear doors, hell even my wife's Camry has this.
  5. No power switch on the auto dim mirror.
  6. No power switch on the drivers side of the passenger seat to allow the driver to move the seat.
  7. The large and ugly Sonar/Radar sensor in the front grille. Takes away from the overall look of the car, most car manufacturers have moved to incorporating the sonar plate into their logos or the bumper, or behind the grill, as to hide it from plain site. The one on the G80 is circa MBZ 2005.. time to update Hyundai.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would have your dealer check the sensors in your trunk. I have had absolutely no problems with mine. It picks me up when I am within a few feet of the back of the car. It has never failed to open and i don’t have to stand in any particular spot. It just works. My only complaint would be that it seems to take a long time. It would be nice if it opened a bit sooner. But I guess there is a fine line between opening quickly and having too many accidental openings, which I have never had.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would have your dealer check the sensors in your trunk. I have had absolutely no problems with mine. It picks me up when I am within a few feet of the back of the car. It has never failed to open and i don’t have to stand in any particular spot. It just works. My only complaint would be that it seems to take a long time. It would be nice if it opened a bit sooner. But I guess there is a fine line between opening quickly and having too many accidental openings, which I have never had.
already did, "works as expected" was the response.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My G80 begins beeping from the outside edges of taillight to taillight.

mine begins beeping at the tail light, typically stops when I am behind the car,

at first I thought it was having the smart card in my pocket, maybe interfering with the signal. so I tested by taking it out.. no change. 8-10 inches behind the right light everything works.. left light is intermittent, and directly behind the car I get nothing.

I pointed this out to the dealer and they tested it and said it is working as expected, told me it might be interference from something around me, well if that is the case I get interference everywhere.. at home, at work, at the mall, at the gas station, at every restaurant I've been to in the past 2 months, at the movie theater. . etc.

if I stand behind the right light 8-10 inches from the car it will beep 4 times and open, if I move it stops and sometimes restarts, sometimes not.

and the button (under the trunk lip) doesn't work at all if I am right next to the car and attempt to push it, I have to stand back and reach out, if I am closer than 8-10 inches I get no response from it..

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
mine begins beeping at the tail light, typically stops when I am behind the car,

at first I thought it was having the smart card in my pocket, maybe interfering with the signal. so I tested by taking it out.. no change. 8-10 inches behind the right light everything works.. left light is intermittent, and directly behind the car I get nothing.

I pointed this out to the dealer and they tested it and said it is working as expected, told me it might be interference from something around me, well if that is the case I get interference everywhere.. at home, at work, at the mall, at the gas station, at every restaurant I've been to in the past 2 months, at the movie theater. . etc.

if I stand behind the right light 8-10 inches from the car it will beep 4 times and open, if I move it stops and sometimes restarts, sometimes not.

and the button (under the trunk lip) doesn't work at all if I am right next to the car and attempt to push it, I have to stand back and reach out, if I am closer than 8-10 inches I get no response from it..
I don’t have any of the issues you describe. I have stood behind the car to the left, center and right without any issues. To me it sounds like either you have a bad fob or bad sensors.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Your dealer is giving you a bunch of baloney. I agree with what Windchaser said above. No problems directly behind the car or walking from one corner to the center. In fact I’ve never had the trunk failed to open wherever I was standing nearby the rear. No problems with the trunk button either. I get up close and press the button.

Frankly the only thing that is broken is your dealer. Find another one if you can. This one is clueless. It does not bode well for any future problems you may have.

having been an ASE tech for many years, I understand the "working as expected" response, the fact is that it works albeit intermittently, if a tech can't replicate my issue there isn't much they can do.

Techs today don't troubleshoot, they are more parts changers than troubleshooting technicians.

While it is an annoyance, at the moment I know how to make it work, I will continue to bring it up at my service intervals, and hope to get lucky.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
But you don’t describe this as an intermittent issue. What you describe is a problem that is always there and is NOT how it is expected to work.
Yes I get it. But the facts are it does work if I stand in a specific place, and the response was, it is working as expected and interference is expected and I am experiencing some sort of interference they can’t replicate and they checked the modules and the are behaving as expected.

There is another dealer that is closer to my office who I will use for my first oil change and I will bring it up to them at that time. I’ve just made it a habit to use the button on the dash and not stress over it.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Ok I have to ask because maybe I am not seeing the full picture. Are you saying it works perfectly when they check it, that is from anywhere behind the car? If it does that for them then it is working as expected. If it doesn’t then it is not working as expected. I guess I just don’t get what the dealer is saying. Just trying to help you out.

Don’t know how they checked it. I explained it. They didnt ask me to show them.

If they got it to work at all, then they are saying it works as expected.

I’m not impressed with this dealership for service. For sales they were great, but they couldn’t even program my smart card nor get me the proper precut for it. I ended up at the dealership by my office to get that done, which is why I will return for my oil change and try again.

Last edited:

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The automatic trunk opening works as expected on my 2018 G80 sport. The effective/trigger range is a maximum of 4 feet between the taillights (with the FOB in my front right pocket). Outside of the taillights I have to be nearly touching the taillights with the FOB.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just passed 10K miles/6 months on my 2018 G80 3.3L Twin-Turbo Sport HTRAC/AWD. "Victoria" is fast becoming my favorite car ever owned.
The Cons: Most of below are minor items, just room for improvement.

Pros: in addition to what Mr. Incredible listed above.
1. You get an audible ding (versus inaudible ;) if you do not depress the button on shifter while going from Drive -> Reverse or “vicey versay”. Ding-Hey dummy press the button on the shift lever. When doing this; car goes into Neutral and is shown as such on the dash screen.

2. The 3.3L Twin-Turbo is fantastic for every day driving. Power delivery is linear, maximum torque is generated at low RPMs and provides plenty of "pedal" at all speeds/RPMs.

3. When fully opening sunroof; a small cloth/porous guard comes up in the front of the opening. This eliminates noise/buffeting and a strong gust of air from coming into car.

4. The Genesis logo being projected on the ground is classy. This occurs when walking up to the car. It is most noticeable at night.

5. Camera system. The overhead 360 view is useful when parking. The downward side views reduce the risk of scraping a rim on a curb when parking.

6. I prefer hard buttons versus touch screen or the jog/wheel. The hard buttons are laid out intuitively with the most commonly used (volume, Radio/XM, fan speed, etc.) within easy reach.

7. Electric steering. No belt or fluid to maintain and no parasitic power loss.

8. Adjustable side bolsters in driver seat.

9. Heads-Up-Display (HUD). Useful speed limit, navigation, radio, blind spot detection (BSD) and lane departure warning (LDW) information. HUD can be difficult to see during day with polarized sunglasses, but that is the nature of the display technology.

10. The turn signal sound has gone from old school click-click-click to are more subtle/soothing sound.

11. Replacing the cabin air filter is much simpler. It took a PHD in mechanical engineering to figure out how to remove the glove box retaining clips on my 2011 Genesis 3.8.

12. The ability to tag favorite artists/songs and be notified when that song/artist is playing within the satellite radio is nice.

Cons:
1. Agree-Gimmicky shifter is well....gimmicky. Get rid of Park button and use a standard PRND shift lever arrangement. Continue requiring depressing of brake to change gears and eliminate button from shifter lever. Keep paddles, but ADD manual shifting to gear shift lever.

2. The car exterior is aesthetically stunning. I regularly get comments/compliments from people on the street. The rear view could use some work though (I'm a "arse" kinda guy). It is plain/ordinary compared to the rest of the car. I suggest widening and lowering the trunk/deck lid. In addition to improving appearance it would add interior trunk room. My 2011 Genesis 3.8 could easily fit 4 golf bags/bodies. It's a much tighter fit to do this in the 2018 G80.

3. Add a dipstick to check transmission fluid level. I am meticulous about checking my engine fluid levels; doing this at every gas fill-up.

4. Add/allow custom tuning of ride/handling. I'd like to be able to independently set the suspension, steering and throttle response. Specifically I'd like to set steering/suspension=Sport with throttle response=Normal. I understand this will be an option in the forthcoming G70 (Custom setting being added).

5. I would like the buttons on rear view mirror (i.e. garage opener) to function with the ignition off. My 2011 Genesis 3.8 worked this way. There is a thread ("2018 G80 Homelink not working when the car is off") on this in this forum. Make this a configurable option (mirror buttons work with ignition off yes/no).

6. The factory Continental Procontact TX tires are sub-par for this class of vehicle. The factory tires on my 2011 Genesis 3.8 (Dunlop) were as bad. I’m not willing to swap them now, but will replace with a Michelin A/S 3+ or Continental DWS06 tire when it comes time..

7. I agree the large clear Sonar/Radar cover on the front grill is butt ugly. I "filmed" the front of my car, including this cover, but it WILL get dinged/scratched over time. It is a wart/pimple/scab on the face of an otherwise beautiful woman/handsome man. I feel the same way about front license plates. Luckily I live in a state that does not issue/require front plates.

8. The gas mileage is a tad lower than what I wished. I am getting about 20MPG in mixed driving as EPA rated. The G80's are a little hefty, but I'd expect 23->24 MPG with a light foot. I did see 27MPG on a 1K mile trip at +70MPH with A/C on.

9. Remote start requires use of mobile application and Genesis subscription (free/included for 2 years). Put remote start on key FOB. Also, add roll down all windows/open sunroof feature to key FOB.

10. Fog lights are not available on the Sport version of the 2018 G80. The Sport version has every available G80 option plus more. Huh/WTF? Why remove fog lights ?!? I do understand/know the Sport model has a different front bumper than the other G80's, but there is room for fog lights.

Last edited: