my 2 month 2,000 review of my G80 Sport

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The lack of fogs lights IMO has to do with the air vents and intercooler for the 3.3T. the outer edges of the lower fascia feed cold air into the turbos and oil cooler, and also direct air to the front brakes.. While I agree there appears to be room, it may not have been an option engineering wise without blocking those air channels.

I've always liked having fog/driving lights on my vehicles mostly to be sure there was light directly in front of the vehicle, however IMO with LED headlights, fog lights are pointless, the LEDs do a fine job of lighting the road directly in front of the vehicle. I found that with my RCF and the G80 sport, both lacking fog lights the LED headlights are enough.. I even added them to my RCF and found that I couldn't tell from the drivers seat whether they were on or off because the LED headlights over powered them and covered the same area, so aside from an oncoming vehicle seeing them, I honestly don't see that they would provide much other than aesthetics.

that being said, I am still looking for a way of installing something and tying it into the DRLs, for the aesthetics.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Probably my biggest complaint is how the infotainment system disables so many things when the car is in gear. Haven't they heard of passengers? The only way to add an address is either by using the voice command or pulling over and putting the car in park. It would be nice if my wife could actually enter the address. Or find movie times while I'm driving.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Disabling these features is to reduce the manufacturers liability. It is to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things Actually, more accurately to prevent the stupid person form suing the manufacturer for their irresponsible behavior. No one should be typing/looking at a screen while operating a +4000lb battering ram at +50MPH. A solution would be to develop a method that would allow a passenger, but not the driver to operate these systems while the car is moving/in gear. Maybe integrate it into the Genesis Mobile application OR mount a keyboard on the inside of the glove box. Some irresponsible driving moron would probably then use the mobile app or keyboard. Never underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Disabling these features is to reduce the manufacturers liability. It is to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things Actually, more accurately to prevent the stupid person form suing the manufacturer for their irresponsible behavior. No one should be typing/looking at a screen while operating a +4000lb battering ram at +50MPH. A solution would be to develop a method that would allow a passenger, but not the driver to operate these systems while the car is moving/in gear. Maybe integrate it into the Genesis Mobile application OR mount a keyboard on the inside of the glove box. Some irresponsible driving moron would probably then use the mobile app or keyboard. Never underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Oh I know it is because of lawyers and stupid people. I just get frustrated that everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator while inconveniencing people who are capable of being responsible.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

the simplest way is to use the passenger airbag sensors. the passenger seat knows when there is weight on the seat, so it could release the functionality when someone meats those requirements and has the seat belt engaged.

but someone will pile some weight on the seat to trick the system and you'll be back to square one.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Oh I know it is because of lawyers and stupid people. I just get frustrated that everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator while inconveniencing people who are capable of being responsible.
so if you want to add an address to the gps, you can do it through the iPhone/android Genesis app and have it sent to the car, this is how I do it while driving.. works out well.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
so if you want to add an address to the gps, you can do it through the iPhone/android Genesis app and have it sent to the car, this is how I do it while driving.. works out well.
If you have the Genesis app then don’t you also have Google search on the mirror? That’s by far the easiest way and is amazingly accurate. It even turns down the fan automatically when you speak.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Using a mobile device (iphone/android) while operating a motor vehicle is irresponsible. This is why the navigation system is disabled and states have passed laws against texting/non-hands free phone calls while driving.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Using a mobile device (iphone/android) while operating a motor vehicle is irresponsible. This is why the navigation system is disabled and states have passed laws against texting/non-hands free phone calls while driving.
I should clarify, this is how my wife/passenger does it when I am driving.. I use the voice commands via car play or the phone itself if I need to look up something, and don't have an issue with that method. I was addressing Windchaser and his apparent dislike for the voice commands.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If you have the Genesis app then don’t you also have Google search on the mirror? That’s by far the easiest way and is amazingly accurate. It even turns down the fan automatically when you speak.

Google search in the mirror? wasn't even aware of it.. I've only used car play. Not a fan of the OEM GPS system, other than displaying it on the HUD I find it to be outdated (most OEM ones are) and cumbersome to use.

I grew up using a Thomas Guide, I know where I am going most of the time, the GPS is nice for that last 1/10th mile onto some side street I may not know.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Re: 4. The Genesis logo being projected on the ground is classy. This occurs when walking up to the car. It is most noticeable at night.
I snapped a picture from the drivers side last night. I need to see if this projection is also done on the passenger side.
Genesis-Logo.jpg

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Re: 4. The Genesis logo being projected on the ground is classy. This occurs when walking up to the car. It is most noticeable at night.
I snapped a picture from the drivers side last night. I need to see if this projection is also done on the passenger side.
View attachment 15031
Yes, it is.

Skeeterman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My favorite feature is the mirror google search. It works better than any other method and has a vast database. Even when in park, I prefer using this method.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My favorite feature is the mirror google search. It works better than any other method and has a vast database. Even when in park, I prefer using this method.
I use it as well. There are times though that we have the address and it would be nice to simply enter it. I haven’t tried dictating an address to Google search. That may be the answer.

audioholic

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just pulled trigger on G80 sport to be picked up at the end of month. Love the car!

After reading about dealership Service issue hope I won’t regret not listening to my dad (who is always right) who said “buy a Lexus” lol

Gen127

California
View attachment 15031
On earlier models (my 2015 shown below), the mirror puddle lamps depicted both the logo wings as well as the name 'GENESIS' on both driver & passenger doors. I suppose the decision was made to remove the word 'Genesis' as it appears already in about 100* different locations on the vehicles! ;)
puddle.png
*hyperbole

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Just pulled trigger on G80 sport to be picked up at the end of month. Love the car!

After reading about dealership Service issue hope I won’t regret not listening to my dad (who is always right) who said “buy a Lexus” lol
Lol. I’ve owned a few Lexus cars. The dealers aren’t any better nowadays. Had one dealer abuse my RCF doing hard cornering and burnouts with it. Had another forget to put the pad seat pins in the brake calipers after a TSB for the brakes. Had a third steal my Verizon hotspot and get caught on dash cam doing it.

Took me 2 years and 4 dealerships to find one worth a $h1t. And I live in Los Angeles where there are 2 dozen of them.

Tmick

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm 7000 miles/4mo into this. "Fun business-class car". I agree with previous the "pro" data points, and most of the "cons".

Added points:
The entry-level autonomous driving features are sweet for the price. I would pay more for better and more tuning capabilities.
What features work in what Accessory/Run mode is weird but manageable. This is my first Hyundai family of vehicles.
I generally need a second Homelink press to close my garage, but rarely to open. Is the system still booting, or is there RF interference from all the other systems starting up?

Top Wishes:
1) "Sport Mode" and "Auto Hold" transmission features be persistent user settings. Easy software fix.
2) The App - if this is my only remote start method, put actual effort into it. It feels like they gave it as a project to summer interns. Again, it's just software to fix. Siri support would be ridiculously fun.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Top Wishes:
1) "Sport Mode" and "Auto Hold" transmission features be persistent user settings. Easy software fix.
2) The App - if this is my only remote start method, put actual effort into it. It feels like they gave it as a project to summer interns. Again, it's just software to fix. Siri support would be ridiculously fun.
It will stay in ECO mode. I wonder is it does not stay in Sport for some EPA requirement. Agree on the Auto Hold. I use it all the time.

Right now I'm using a rental Rogue and the remote start is on the fob. Simple and quick to use instead of opening an app and punching in a PIN.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.