my 2 month 2,000 review of my G80 Sport

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It will stay in ECO mode. I wonder is it does not stay in Sport for some EPA requirement. Agree on the Auto Hold. I use it all the time.

Right now I'm using a rental Rogue and the remote start is on the fob. Simple and quick to use instead of opening an app and punching in a PIN.
It’s an EPA requirement. Had the same issue on my Lexus sport mode was not persistent but normal and eco where.

Some member on the Lexus forum chimed up that he worked for the epa and pointed out some regulation reguarding it several years back.

nrp

Hasn't posted much yet...
NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So this past weekend I hit the 2 month 2,000 mile on my 2018 G80 Sport, and I thought I would share my impressions of the vehicle.

my impressions:

I love the car overall, there is very little I don't like about it, it is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever owned, my daily stuck in traffic for 1.5 hour commute has become less of a dread and more relaxed enjoyment.

Pros:

1. The sound system is outstanding, though it could use a bit more bass, overall it is an excellent system by far one of the best OEM I have ever owned
  2. The seats are super comfortable, not just the drivers, but I've had family in it, 4 passengers and they all said the ride was very comfortable, even the one stuck in the rear center hump.
  3. Overall the driving characteristics are good, it is a bit "soft" in corning, even in sport there is too much body roll IMO, but for a 5,000lb vehicle it does very well over all. The Twin Turbos give it good punch at low RPMs to merge, pass, and lane change without feeling like you are lumbering to get up to speed.
  4. The interior is ultra quiet with the windows up and sunroof closed, I was actually pleasantly pleased at how quiet it was compared to my Lexus, that cost $30K more and was a lot more noisy, given Lexus prides itself on it's quiet interiors.
  5. Overall I find the vehicle a pleasure to drive, and thus far my experience with my Hyundai/Genesis dealership have been good.
  6. Love the over all look of the car, personally a big fan of the cooper accent points in the grille, headlights, and wheel caps. Gives the car a unique touch that stands out.
  7. Now that I have them dialed in to my tastes, I love the semi-autonomous drive features it makes my commute that much more relaxing.
  8. Great HVAC system, I always felt the HVAC in my Lexus was underpowered, no matter the setting it never seemed to blow very hard or keep the vehicle at the pre-set temp.
  9. Great heated and Cooled seats, my 2010 Avalanche had by far the best of both the G80 is a very close second. My 2012 Camaro and 2015 Lexus the heated/cooled seats were anemic, even on high you couldn't really tell if they were functioning or not, and it is a known issue and a huge complaint by Lexus owners on most models since 2013.
Cons:

1. Do not like the gimmicky shifter, this is my single biggest complaint about the car, it seems like an afterthought, half push button, half lever. pick one. either all push button or all lever. I really wish it had the manual shift in the shifter, not a big fan of paddles. And while we are talking about shifting, HOLD GEAR in sport mode, it is highly irritating to be taking a corner in 3rd and have the damn car kick back into drive and upshift to 5th or 6th in the apex of the turn.
  2. The "hands free" trunk,. unless I stand in the exact right place it doesn't work, it beeps then stops, so I have to move then it beeps and stops.. and hitting the button to manually open it doesn't always work either, it is my opinion that the sensor is not located in the correct spot, it seems that it only works regularly and without issue if I stand 8-10" from the right rear tail light, not the center of the vehicle as one would expect.
  3. No soft close on the doors
  4. No LED light or touch to unlock button on the rear doors, hell even my wife's Camry has this.
  5. No power switch on the auto dim mirror.
  6. No power switch on the drivers side of the passenger seat to allow the driver to move the seat.
  7. The large and ugly Sonar/Radar sensor in the front grille. Takes away from the overall look of the car, most car manufacturers have moved to incorporating the sonar plate into their logos or the bumper, or behind the grill, as to hide it from plain site. The one on the G80 is circa MBZ 2005.. time to update Hyundai.
Thanks for this report. I'm quite intrigued by your #1 positive. I find the sound system to be a complete joke. Your feedback makes me believe that my system might be broken, damaged somehow. The sound quality on my 2018 V8 is just not good. I came from an Audi with the Bang & Olufsen system that was simply incredible. Full sound, complete from low to high frequencies.

I will find some time to check other cars at the dealer. Hope to find issues with my car. Thanks for your feedback. It gives me hope.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks for this report. I'm quite intrigued by your #1 positive. I find the sound system to be a complete joke. Your feedback makes me believe that my system might be broken, damaged somehow. The sound quality on my 2018 V8 is just not good. I came from an Audi with the Bang & Olufsen system that was simply incredible. Full sound, complete from low to high frequencies.

I will find some time to check other cars at the dealer. Hope to find issues with my car. Thanks for your feedback. It gives me hope.
aside from the bass the system IMO is excellent, but like anything it requires some tweaking.. however I use it hard wired through car play, not through blue tooth.. the Blue Tooth sound is not nearly as good, but that isn't the car, that is the source.. BT had a bandwidth of like 24 Mbps, wired is 4800Mbps to 10Gbps

so if you are using BT, that is likely why it sounds bad.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

I’ve found the system to be excellent as well. As mentioned above it could be the source. I would also check the settings to see if they have been changed and things have been disabled or other changes.

nrp

NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
aside from the bass the system IMO is excellent, but like anything it requires some tweaking.. however I use it hard wired through car play, not through blue tooth.. the Blue Tooth sound is not nearly as good, but that isn't the car, that is the source.. BT had a bandwidth of like 24 Mbps, wired is 4800Mbps to 10Gbps

so if you are using BT, that is likely why it sounds bad.
Actually 320 kbps mp3s from the USB port. In the Audi they sound fantastic. In the G80 it is blahhh

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sound is amazing in my G80 Sport as well, just lacked low bass but added a subwoofer for the low bass. I sit in other cars and just hate the sound now in them but perhaps the B&O on the Audi upped your standards a lot (I've never heard it but assume it's amazing too from the brand).

kenbefound

Registered Member
Springfield, MA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sound is amazing in my G80 Sport as well, just lacked low bass but added a subwoofer for the low bass. I sit in other cars and just hate the sound now in them but perhaps the B&O on the Audi upped your standards a lot (I've never heard it but assume it's amazing too from the brand).
Cool, care to share any details re the sub (i.e. model, cost, etc).

kenbefound

Registered Member
Springfield, MA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Too cool! I have one of these in storage that I used in one of my previous cars. Did you install it yourself? Did you hook up the remote volume control or just set the volume on the Basslink itself?
Oh wow lol. I had it professionally installed, not techie enough to do it myself. The remote I couldn't find so I just set the volume on the unit itself to a sweet spot and it works great. It's not ground shaking if that's what you're looking for as my installer told me the Genesis has great sound isolation but the speaker still gives a clean low end.

WPB

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I also have noted a lack of good base compared to my last car. Where did you place the unit and where did you tap into power and audio inputs?

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I also have noted a lack of good base compared to my last car. Where did you place the unit and where did you tap into power and audio inputs?
I had it professionally installed. As for placement, it's in the trunk right behind the rear seats.

kenbefound

Registered Member
Springfield, MA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For those motivated I suspect installing a sub in this car would be relatively easy. I believe the battery for the G80 is located in the trunk/spare tire compartment. And the audio signal could be picked up from either the midrange speakers or low frequency driver installed on the rear deck lid.

WPB

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The battery is in a compartment on the passenger side of the trunk. But, I would want to connect to a "switched" source.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The battery is in a compartment on the passenger side of the trunk. But, I would want to connect to a "switched" source.
The amp fuse is switched and located in the trunk fuse panel which is behind the passenger tail light.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.