My 2015 3.8L just got broken into, the smashed the window and the alarm didn't go off. Wtf?

HiTiC

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm really pissed that my Genesis alarm didn't go off when someone smashed through my window, opened the door, and took my backpack. I'm lucky they only took my backpack, something which had no items of real value (either than school work). But now I have to pay 500$ on the broken rear window. They definitely reached through with their hand to open the door lock, but how the f$%k does the alarm system not go off?

Attachments

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

HiTiC

Genesis Model Type
The horn will sound and the hazard warning lights will blink continuously if any of the following occurs:
  • A door is opened without using the smart key.
  • The trunk is opened without using the smart key.
  • The engine hood is opened.
If they didn’t need to open the door to get the backpack (how do you know they did?) , the alarm would not have sounded. It doesn’t react to broken glass.
there is no way they could get my backpack through the tiny hole they made. they must have opened the door. did they have some type of hack box? is this a popular thing? the car is parked in my driveway, I would've heard it if the alarm went off.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Well that sucks. I assume you don't have full glass coverage or it would cost you nothing.

It is also preventable. Many people disagree with me, but I never had a window broken by a thief. I don't lock my car. Worst case was having the glove box rifled through to find nothing of value. This is a perfect example as to why. My guess is you won't leave a backpack in the car either.
So you're saying you never leave anything of value in your car?
Multiple trips to different stores with stuff in the trunk?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
OP, Sorry you got violated. You might give your insurance folks a call. Many policies have window replacement coverage and you might without having noticed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.