My 2015 3.8L just got broken into, the smashed the window and the alarm didn't go off. Wtf?

HiTiC

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm really pissed that my Genesis alarm didn't go off when someone smashed through my window, opened the door, and took my backpack. I'm lucky they only took my backpack, something which had no items of real value (either than school work). But now I have to pay 500$ on the broken rear window. They definitely reached through with their hand to open the door lock, but how the f$%k does the alarm system not go off?

Attachments

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I'm really pissed that my Genesis alarm didn't go off when someone smashed through my window, opened the door, and took my backpack. I'm lucky they only took my backpack, something which had no items of real value (either than school work). But now I have to pay 500$ on the broken rear window. They definitely reached through with their hand to open the door lock, but how the f$%k does the alarm system not go off?
The horn will sound and the hazard warning lights will blink continuously if any of the following occurs:
  • A door is opened without using the smart key.
  • The trunk is opened without using the smart key.
  • The engine hood is opened.
If they didn’t need to open the door to get the backpack (how do you know they did?) , the alarm would not have sounded. It doesn’t react to broken glass.

HiTiC

Genesis Model Type
The horn will sound and the hazard warning lights will blink continuously if any of the following occurs:
  • A door is opened without using the smart key.
  • The trunk is opened without using the smart key.
  • The engine hood is opened.
If they didn’t need to open the door to get the backpack (how do you know they did?) , the alarm would not have sounded. It doesn’t react to broken glass.
there is no way they could get my backpack through the tiny hole they made. they must have opened the door. did they have some type of hack box? is this a popular thing? the car is parked in my driveway, I would've heard it if the alarm went off.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well that sucks. I assume you don't have full glass coverage or it would cost you nothing.

It is also preventable. Many people disagree with me, but I never had a window broken by a thief. I don't lock my car. Worst case was having the glove box rifled through to find nothing of value. This is a perfect example as to why. My guess is you won't leave a backpack in the car either.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
there is no way they could get my backpack through the tiny hole they made. they must have opened the door. did they have some type of hack box? is this a popular thing? the car is parked in my driveway, I would've heard it if the alarm went off.
If you heard it, what difference would it have made? Window already broken. At best you'd see someone running down the street.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Well that sucks. I assume you don't have full glass coverage or it would cost you nothing.

It is also preventable. Many people disagree with me, but I never had a window broken by a thief. I don't lock my car. Worst case was having the glove box rifled through to find nothing of value. This is a perfect example as to why. My guess is you won't leave a backpack in the car either.
So you're saying you never leave anything of value in your car?
Multiple trips to different stores with stuff in the trunk?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So you're saying you never leave anything of value in your car?
Multiple trips to different stores with stuff in the trunk?
Pretty much, but so what? If it is in the trunk it would not be easily noticed. If the car was locked and they wanted to steal a $10 bag of groceries they would have to break in and possibly do expensive damage to get it. Unlocked, they have never looked so for 10 or 20 bucks I take the risk and have not lost yet.

There are no phones, laptops, CD players, power tools or anything else in there. Some years ago, my brother was parked in front of me. He had a $10 pair of sunglasses stolen and they slashed the convertible top to get them. My friend has her car locked, alarmed, and parked about 10 feet from her office window. Stolen in broad daylight. Another time, some cars on my street had broken windows and even pry marks. I lost a $1 quart of oil in the back seat.

If it makes you feel warm and comfy, lock up and risk damage. In over 57 years of not locking, I lost a quart can of oil.

If a pro wants your car or its contents, he will get it.

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
OP, Sorry you got violated. You might give your insurance folks a call. Many policies have window replacement coverage and you might without having noticed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.