• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

My new owner experiences after the first 1000 miles.

westsiderkg

Registered Member
First, the buying process was actually one of the worst ever, and having owned 30+ cars in my lifetime that says allot. All 3 of my local dealers would not give me a fair price, so I had to go out of state. Needless to say, the long distance transaction brought added stress. I am not going to write about all that, but it was a D- experience that involved lots of miscommunication and sketchy paperwork logistics. Price however, I will give that an A-. Now having logged my first 1000 miles I can honestly say I am giving the car a solid C+ rating overall. The interior finishes are a C+, exterior styling is a C+, overall…a very solid C+ luxury vehicle. Gas mileage is a TOTAL joke. I get 10 mpg around town and I drive w/ a light foot. Reliability wise, having never owned a Hyundai product, I am really starting to question my better judgment on buying this car. The braking stinks! Not only is the stopping distance horrid, the car has already developed a horrible steering wheel shudder when I attempt to brake above 50 mph. The shudder is so bad at times that the haptic controller on the steering wheel will change by itself! Never, ever have I had a new car, let alone a high end one as this car supposedly is, shudder like this when new. I looked at the rotors closely yesterday and at least one of the two front rotor surfaces are already gouged. Basic QA-QC Hyundai! In addition, the door handle on the driver side began to stick today, and badly at that. I tried to make a temporary fix by squirting it down with WD40, but it still sticks and requires a more than a normal desired amount of pull force to open. Overall, I am not very pleased thus far w/the car, or a company that supposedly prides itself on vehicle longevity. I have also found that the electronics seem to have a mind of their own. Sometimes buttons work, sometimes doors will pull shut, sometimes features will work…sometimes not! Thus, I will give a well-earned D- on initial quality, but hopefully that will change in time assuming nothing major breaks in the next year or so.

Service wise, D-. All this garbage about taking care of the customer is a bunch of BS! When attempting to make my first scheduled service the initial “certified Equus dealer” I called didn’t even call me back after 4 days! I then called again on the 5th day and stating I would be taking my business elsewhere on their VM. They didn’t even call back after two attempts, pathetic! The second dealer did schedule a valet service, well sort of. It conveniently took them a week to get to me, then on the morning they were supposed to pickup the vehicle at my home they called and said they would be a couple hours late. REALLY! I am a professional and have a job to attend to, not sit around and wait for their logistical constraints. Fortunately I was able to take a second car to work that day. I now (unfortunately) have another call into the same dealer (since they are the only other certified Equus dealer in the region), and again….they said at least 4 days to get to me. Glad the car is not broken down!

As for the Equus customer service toll fee hotline, I called about a half dozen times to report concerns. Don’t get me wrong, everyone is very polite (A+ on that), but they almost never provide closure for any of my concerns (D-). About half of the concerns either receive a nebulous response stating they took the leisure of closing my inquiry themselves (very polite by the way of them to do w/o asking me), or they just never get back to me and the case # they provide goes off into Equus cyberspace, lol. In reality, they are of little help, unless you want someone to talk nice to you and show you how to setup basic features on the car (e.g. Bluetooth pairing).

In summary, I bought this car in an attempt to think outside the box, but it’s rapidly becoming apparent that Hyundai is trying to tap into the high end market w/o backing it up. You’d think they would have their ducks in a row and try harder than their competitors if they take this market seriously. I know they are relative novices in the luxury world, but having owned Audi, BMW, and Mercedes’s in the past the Hyundai customer service scored a very solid F- - by comparison. Customers are not fools and the wool can only be pulled over their eyes for so long. Better get you act together Hyundai, and quick at that, or go back to what you’re good at, selling low end/high volume cars…and there is nothing wrong w/that, just stick w/your strong points unless you really want to back up your flagship product!!!

DRS

Banned
Yea, hear about inconsistencies of the dealers. Some good and some bad. Sorry to hear about your initial quality rating. Not typical. Shudder? Was yours a dealer demo? Someone get on the binders too hard with early mileage? Or had the tires rotated and not hand torqued?

Your option mix sounds like you have a Ultimate?

I had my Genesis in for routine scheduled maintenance. They let me have a 2014 Ultimate to try. Been thinking of up scaling. I experienced none of what you saw. With a smile they slow played the maintenance so we had the Equus overnight. I did not abuse it. It got 25 on highway and about 19.6 in suburban town driving. And regular gas. Premium would raise this..

Anyway, still thinking of adding it for another work vehicle. Will reconsider based on what you say. However will not jump into any German cars again.. Ever ... Your reports above sound like our experience with The German brands you mention. They may smile at you and seem professional, however that does not excuse the rip off cost to maintain. Or the out of service repairs.

When I had factory case numbers with germans, I had to think ahead of their crap to close cases without resolution, would demands management in their context centers to get anything moving. Not worth the time.

Never had any break/fix mechanical or electronic issues with the Genesis. That might change at some point. Have just under 25k miles. The driver seat leather and padding has a design flaw that allows for for wrinkling. Not horrible compared to massive design flaws with the German cars.

Wish you well... If you have lemon laws , call your problems in with BBB, or consumer agency. Hyundai has given new cars out in the few times we have seen big problems like yours on this site. Try that with a German car and they will fight it and laugh )from what is reported on the user forums).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I wonder who picks up the tab for the concierge service (free pickup and delivery) on the Equus? Is it the selling dealer or Hyundai? Obviously, Hyundai pays for parts and labor on warranty work, but my suspicion is that local dealers are not too happy when a customer wants concierge service on their Equus when they bought it from someone else.

sandy

Registered Member
connecticut
I wonder who picks up the tab for the concierge service (free pickup and delivery) on the Equus? Is it the selling dealer or Hyundai? Obviously, Hyundai pays for parts and labor on warranty work, but my suspicion is that local dealers are not too happy when a customer wants concierge service on their Equus when they bought it from someone else.
Hyundai pays the dealer for the pick up and delivery..

westsiderkg

Registered Member
Yes, I opted for the Ultimate trim. Had the tires road force balanced. Re-torqued the wheels twice myself too. No dealer demo, bought w/78 miles on it. Shudder (i.e. the steering wheel shakes when applying brake pressure) if that makes sense. Does anyone else have this problem? As for MPG, what gives? I have heard of higher figures like the ones your mention too. Am I missing something here? 10 MPG seems abnormally bad IMHO based on what others have said. Correct on the concierge service. I received a bit of a undertone attitude when making the request.

Maybe I am jumping the gun on the Equus, but the next closest example I have right now is my wife's 2012 Equinox LTZ that we bought new. Cost half as much as this car, and we have been fortunate enough to log 40,000 miles already w/o a single issue.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yes, I opted for the Ultimate trim. Had the tires road force balanced. Re-torqued the wheels twice myself too. No dealer demo, bought w/78 miles on it. Shudder (i.e. the steering wheel shakes when applying brake pressure) if that makes sense. Does anyone else have this problem? As for MPG, what gives? I have heard of higher figures like the ones your mention too. Am I missing something here? 10 MPG seems abnormally bad IMHO based on what others have said. Correct on the concierge service. I received a bit of a undertone attitude when making the request.

Maybe I am jumping the gun on the Equus, but the next closest example I have right now is my wife's 2012 Equinox LTZ that we bought new. Cost half as much as this car, and we have been fortunate enough to log 40,000 miles already w/o a single issue.
Sounds like warped rotors. Not sure if that happened during extreme braking during a test drive or what. Can happened if wheels are over-torqued or nuts tightened in wrong order. Happened to me about 20 years ago when I got a brake job and incompetent technician did bad job of turning the rotors (they had to buy new ones for me).

Have no idea about the 10 MPG, but that seems very low to me. Is that from dash read-out, or your own calculations? What do you get on dash when doing a steady 65 MPH?

westsiderkg

Registered Member
The MPG readout is from the dash. Not sure what, if anything can be done to correct that. Truthfully, I would be ok even with mid teens in the MPG, but this is really low. Would appreciate hearing from others as to what their MPG is. at steady 65 I would said 14 is the highest I have seen.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
MPG reflects your driving conditions. Sounds like most of yours is done in the city. A place like NYC, Chicago, or LA could do that. Warped brake rotors can easily occur during the first several hundred miles if they are mashed too hard. Rotors and pads need time to get accustomed to each other. If you didn't do the damage, it could have been done before you took possession. If so, the damage should have been apparent to you right away. The good news is that this can easily be fixed under warranty. A wait of four days for a service appointment is not unusual.

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
MPG reflects your driving conditions. Sounds like most of yours is done in the city. A place like NYC, Chicago, or LA could do that.
He is saying that 14 MPG is best he has seen on dash display at steady 65 MPH. But not sure if he has hit the reset button before a test run (and not sure how Equus works).

westsiderkg

Registered Member
I'll reset and let you guys know. Correct, maybe someone beat the heck out of it in the first 78 miles. Personally, I have babied the car, so I know w/100% certainty that I did not warp the rotors.

So maybe 4 days is normal then? Sorry if I don't sound patient, but the local Equus dealer only stocks 2-4 Equus' at a time, and only sells about 1-2 a month, so I am not sure how busy they really could be...but maybe I am wrong?

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
The low MPG combined with brake shudder makes me think there is a dragging brake or that the brake pedal is mis-adjusted (too little freeplay) making the front brakes drag all the time. A fairly easy test is to go for a short drive that doesn't use the brakes - an open road - and run for about 5 to 10 minutes. Coast to a stop, set the transmission in park, and hop out of the car. Hold a hand NEAR to the wheels - don't touch them! - and feel the heat radiating from the brakes. If one front wheel seems to be radiating more than it's counterpart that's pretty solid evidence of dragging brakes. The whole mess should be replaced: pads & rotors at a minimum (head damaged) and possibly calipers. The fluid should be flushed too (heat damaged). If all of the brakes seem to be radiating heat, then the brakes are dragging everywhere - a master cylinder issue or more likely an incorrectly adjusted brake pedal freeplay.

As for the dealer experience... can't help there. Dealers are independent businesses and vary a lot as we all know. I've had good and bad dealers with my Toyota and Mitsu vehicles too; some service departments seemed so incompetent that I'd ban any vehicle they worked on from driving on public streets since they're now a safety hazard. Folks that live in areas with few dealers to chose from are especially vulnerable.

mike c.

DRS

Banned
Mike has a great point about the possible brake dragging. As part of the mileage and shudder issue. Something to try. No way should you be getting 14 on highway at 65. If the computer is calibrated and that is real mileage, something is up.

Also, you have electrical problems. The electric door closing failures. Unless it is something that is causing it by design to stop working. Maybe your foot still outside or something? If not a training issue, keep track of all these issues and get them on record. And start reporting to lemon law process.

I think the poor dealers are making your experience worse. If you are near Indianapolis, Butler Hyundai as been stellar for me. They updated my DIS and GPS for free while in for normal service. Not a problem like other dealers who brick the DIS by installing the wrong DVDs.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I think once Hyundai knows you are tracking via lemon laws, that will kick it up a bit. Take your case numbers and force them to escalate it to their management and region folks in the field. From what I have read, they will do it.

DRS

Banned
Road Force is amazing. And hear you about reliable domestic cars. Own 6 of them for work and home. Mostly Fords that have been perfect for various mileage a over 60k and one over 200k..

sandy

Registered Member
connecticut
The low MPG combined with brake shudder makes me think there is a dragging brake or that the brake pedal is mis-adjusted (too little freeplay) making the front brakes drag all the time. A fairly easy test is to go for a short drive that doesn't use the brakes - an open road - and run for about 5 to 10 minutes. Coast to a stop, set the transmission in park, and hop out of the car. Hold a hand NEAR to the wheels - don't touch them! - and feel the heat radiating from the brakes. If one front wheel seems to be radiating more than it's counterpart that's pretty solid evidence of dragging brakes. The whole mess should be replaced: pads & rotors at a minimum (head damaged) and possibly calipers. The fluid should be flushed too (heat damaged). If all of the brakes seem to be radiating heat, then the brakes are dragging everywhere - a master cylinder issue or more likely an incorrectly adjusted brake pedal freeplay.

As for the dealer experience... can't help there. Dealers are independent businesses and vary a lot as we all know. I've had good and bad dealers with my Toyota and Mitsu vehicles too; some service departments seemed so incompetent that I'd ban any vehicle they worked on from driving on public streets since they're now a safety hazard. Folks that live in areas with few dealers to chose from are especially vulnerable.

mike c.
Boy, I wish you were my neighbor.

Soldier76

Getting familiar with the group...
Hinesville Ga
First, the buying process was actually one of the worst ever, and having owned 30+ cars in my lifetime that says allot. All 3 of my local dealers would not give me a fair price, so I had to go out of state. Needless to say, the long distance transaction brought added stress. I am not going to write about all that, but it was a D- experience that involved lots of miscommunication and sketchy paperwork logistics. Price however, I will give that an A-. Now having logged my first 1000 miles I can honestly say I am giving the car a solid C+ rating overall. The interior finishes are a C+, exterior styling is a C+, overall…a very solid C+ luxury vehicle. Gas mileage is a TOTAL joke. I get 10 mpg around town and I drive w/ a light foot. Reliability wise, having never owned a Hyundai product, I am really starting to question my better judgment on buying this car. The braking stinks! Not only is the stopping distance horrid, the car has already developed a horrible steering wheel shudder when I attempt to brake above 50 mph. The shudder is so bad at times that the haptic controller on the steering wheel will change by itself! Never, ever have I had a new car, let alone a high end one as this car supposedly is, shudder like this when new. I looked at the rotors closely yesterday and at least one of the two front rotor surfaces are already gouged. Basic QA-QC Hyundai! In addition, the door handle on the driver side began to stick today, and badly at that. I tried to make a temporary fix by squirting it down with WD40, but it still sticks and requires a more than a normal desired amount of pull force to open. Overall, I am not very pleased thus far w/the car, or a company that supposedly prides itself on vehicle longevity. I have also found that the electronics seem to have a mind of their own. Sometimes buttons work, sometimes doors will pull shut, sometimes features will work…sometimes not! Thus, I will give a well-earned D- on initial quality, but hopefully that will change in time assuming nothing major breaks in the next year or so.

Service wise, D-. All this garbage about taking care of the customer is a bunch of BS! When attempting to make my first scheduled service the initial “certified Equus dealer” I called didn’t even call me back after 4 days! I then called again on the 5th day and stating I would be taking my business elsewhere on their VM. They didn’t even call back after two attempts, pathetic! The second dealer did schedule a valet service, well sort of. It conveniently took them a week to get to me, then on the morning they were supposed to pickup the vehicle at my home they called and said they would be a couple hours late. REALLY! I am a professional and have a job to attend to, not sit around and wait for their logistical constraints. Fortunately I was able to take a second car to work that day. I now (unfortunately) have another call into the same dealer (since they are the only other certified Equus dealer in the region), and again….they said at least 4 days to get to me. Glad the car is not broken down!

As for the Equus customer service toll fee hotline, I called about a half dozen times to report concerns. Don’t get me wrong, everyone is very polite (A+ on that), but they almost never provide closure for any of my concerns (D-). About half of the concerns either receive a nebulous response stating they took the leisure of closing my inquiry themselves (very polite by the way of them to do w/o asking me), or they just never get back to me and the case # they provide goes off into Equus cyberspace, lol. In reality, they are of little help, unless you want someone to talk nice to you and show you how to setup basic features on the car (e.g. Bluetooth pairing).

In summary, I bought this car in an attempt to think outside the box, but it’s rapidly becoming apparent that Hyundai is trying to tap into the high end market w/o backing it up. You’d think they would have their ducks in a row and try harder than their competitors if they take this market seriously. I know they are relative novices in the luxury world, but having owned Audi, BMW, and Mercedes’s in the past the Hyundai customer service scored a very solid F- - by comparison. Customers are not fools and the wool can only be pulled over their eyes for so long. Better get you act together Hyundai, and quick at that, or go back to what you’re good at, selling low end/high volume cars…and there is nothing wrong w/that, just stick w/your strong points unless you really want to back up your flagship product!!!
Wow, just read your post and wanted to know what the status is on your car??? Did Hyundai resolve any or every one of these horrendous issues???

westsiderkg

Registered Member
I did locate one local dealer that at least is trying, but Hyundai is still missing the mark. For instance, my Ultimate was in the shop recently for 2.5 weeks. Yes, 2.5 weeks for a diagnosis. Am I reasonable, yes. Do I mind waiting, nope. Did I mind driving a Sonata....well, not to be a trouble maker, but for 2.5 weeks, well that stunk and I am not going to lie about it. I was sold on the program that came with the car more than anything. Its not even been 1 year and they are giving me $20k Sonata's now for rentals, lol. What a joke. Not like Hyundai cares, but this will be the first and last Equus I own that's for certain. Simply put, if you sell a product back it up, or don't sell it in the first place. Either way then consumers can make a informed decision. Thank you Hyundai!!!

ckon

Registered Member
SE Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I did locate one local dealer that at least is trying, but Hyundai is still missing the mark. For instance, my Ultimate was in the shop recently for 2.5 weeks. Yes, 2.5 weeks for a diagnosis. Am I reasonable, yes. Do I mind waiting, nope. Did I mind driving a Sonata....well, not to be a trouble maker, but for 2.5 weeks, well that stunk and I am not going to lie about it. I was sold on the program that came with the car more than anything. Its not even been 1 year and they are giving me $20k Sonata's now for rentals, lol. What a joke. Not like Hyundai cares, but this will be the first and last Equus I own that's for certain. Simply put, if you sell a product back it up, or don't sell it in the first place. Either way then consumers can make a informed decision. Thank you Hyundai!!!
I'm not sure I could be that patient. I had an ongoing problem with my 2010 Tau and complained to corporate and they offered to reimburse a monthly payment or buy me a Platinum warranty. I took the warranty. I was pretty impressed. :)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums