My Parking Sensors Stopped Working!!

mbs6817

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hello, all. I own a 2009 Genesis Sedan, 3.8L Tech package. Now, back in November I was rear-ended real badly, and the entire rear bumper had to be replaced. When I first got the car back, the sensors would sometimes work, it was very hit and miss. Now it's march, and NONE of the sensors work; the rear sensors and front sensors do not work at all. I start the car, and the car repeats a double beep, 3 times. The display may or may not show that one or more sensors has an object close to it. But say I'm parking, they don't work at all. I know this isn't due to them being dirty, as I have gone to car washes (because it is winter I cannot wash my car outside), and the sensors never worked.
SO, am I S.O.L and have to take Jenny to a dealership and pay a lot of money? Apparently if Hyundai looks at it and says it's because of the collision, insurance would pay for it. Otherwise, I have to start writing cheques.
Thanks in advance, mates!

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Unfortunately it is not unheard of for them to fail even without collision. I had a couple of them (in the front) fail on me on my 2010, under warranty thankfully.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Unfortunately, If you hear three Double beeps, then the parking sensor system is not operating due to a fault (ie is disabled)! I had this issue twice on two sensors with my 2009 in the last six years, fortunately I was able to fix the issue myself, so there maybe hope by trying few things that worked for me:

When you start the car and you hear the three beeps, make note of which sensor is blinking (example back passenger side sensor).

While the vehicle is turned off, try to locate the back of the sensor behind the bumper, once located try to ensure that the cables are attached firmly, by gently moving the housing. You can start with all four back sensors as they much easer to locate than the front sensors.

If that does not work, then the issue is often some dirt/debris/wax might have got stuck in one of the sensors, to address this you can try and use high pressure gas duster, example:

http://www.amazon.com/Innovera-4220...e=UTF8&qid=1426052479&sr=1-2&keywords=air+can

Don't point it directly at the sensor, but rather at an angle about 2-3 inches away from the sensor working around the grove all the while holding the can in the upright position, this should remove anything that might be stuck in the little grove around the center of each sensor.

Ideally you would work on one sensor at a time, start the car and verify the three beeps are gone, that way you should be able to locate / check which sensor is causing the issue.

Hope this helps...

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
You haven't washed your car since November???

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta
Unfortunately it is not unheard of for them to fail even without collision. I had a couple of them (in the front) fail on me on my 2010, under warranty thankfully.

Yep, and I can order them for you directly from Korea painted from factory to match your colour.

Installation for 3 sensors took me 1 hour (I have never done an oil change on my car before). Mine is also an '09.

Parking Sensor failure and paint also gone.

16605036549_2f99d09e3e_b.jpg

16605036999_36e89a449f_b.jpg

16765301926_a421d04e0a_b.jpg

16603781630_8924c23737_b.jpg

16791138015_6b9fab3e1f_b.jpg

16765275016_fc289213d3_b.jpg

Just disconnect the connectors and connect the new ones.
(Old Connector)
16791137425_d266b666a4_b.jpg

(New Connector)
16603561408_cbd38d2d3a_b.jpg

G-438586

FYI, I have a 2012 Genesis 3.8 sedan and have had an intermittent issue with my parking sensors for a number of years. Dealer would say they fixed it but it would always come back. So, I tried an old school technique. I knocked on each sensor (as you would know on a door) that was indicated as bad. So far, problem solved! JMTC.

Civuck

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
So I’m a new 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-Spec owner getting familiar with my car and trying to figure out my Parking Sensors operation - and more specifically, if they are actually working.

When I depress the “P” Parking button, it lights up and remains lit, and I briefly see a picture on the dashboard of the car with three green radar icons at front and back. The image then reverts back to the previous info screen after several seconds.

Indeed, when I am pulling forward or reversing towards my garage door or any other wall, car, or object, there is absolutely no notification from the car - audibly or visually - indicating the sensors are operating.

I am not receiving any type of error message - again, either through audible beeps or a specific dash message, indicating a problem with the sensors.

Any info would be appreciated.

l2iceman

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
So I’m a new 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-Spec owner getting familiar with my car and trying to figure out my Parking Sensors operation - and more specifically, if they are actually working.

When I depress the “P” Parking button, it lights up and remains lit, and I briefly see a picture on the dashboard of the car with three green radar icons at front and back. The image then reverts back to the previous info screen after several seconds.

Indeed, when I am pulling forward or reversing towards my garage door or any other wall, car, or object, there is absolutely no notification from the car - audibly or visually - indicating the sensors are operating.

I am not receiving any type of error message - again, either through audible beeps or a specific dash message, indicating a problem with the sensors.

Any info would be appreciated.
I just picked up a 2011 3.8L Premium, and I'm having the exact same issue as above. I don't get any audible or visual indication any sensors are working. I don't hear any "3 beeps" others have mentioned for faulty sensors.

Any idea?

LarryK

Genesis Model Type
it happened a year ago. sensors quit working and while driving rear sensors on a dashboard started flashing.But now no error message or anything.Also when I shift Reverse I hear beeping sound for a sec but no detection of objects anymore . 2011 4,6

l2iceman

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
it happened a year ago. sensors quit working and while driving rear sensors on a dashboard started flashing.But now no error message or anything.Also when I shift Reverse I hear beeping sound for a sec but no detection of objects anymore . 2011 4,6
Does it still flash? Mine doesn't flash or give any indication of sensor malfunction.

LarryK

Genesis Model Type
Does it still flash? Mine doesn't flash or give any indication of sensor malfunction.
no flashing just not working

l2iceman

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
no flashing just not working
Let's hope someone can chime in here. There is very little information online for this scenario, all threads mention 3 beeps to indicate a fault.

l2iceman

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Let's hope someone can chime in here. There is very little information online for this scenario, all threads mention 3 beeps to indicate a fault.
Just an update, I think it was due to my battery failing. My battery died as I was messing around with electronics, and battery was too low to start the engine. I put on a trickle charger for a few days, took the car for a drive, and parking sensors worked (all of my settings were erased though hah).

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums