Nail In the Tire

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got a TPMS light yesterday 5 days after purchasing. Figured it was just underfilled from the dealership so I filled it up and kept track of it. Sure enough, slow leak and upon inspection: nail in my tire! Got it plugged at a helpful Mavis for 20 bucks.

Between this and the headliner creaking (which seems to only pop up when its hot and sunny out?), it's like the world doesn't want me to have nice things.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Got a TPMS light yesterday 5 days after purchasing. Figured it was just underfilled from the dealership so I filled it up and kept track of it. Sure enough, slow leak and upon inspection: nail in my tire! Got it plugged at a helpful Mavis for 20 bucks.

Between this and the headliner creaking (which seems to only pop up when its hot and sunny out?), it's like the world doesn't want me to have nice things.
Hopefully, you got it patched too. Plug only repairs are not safe.

broervudu

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sadly with this type of lower profile tire, I say expect more nails/flats! o_O I used to get plenty of them with the RX-8 and practically none in comparison with a Sienna/Rav4/Trax. Oh and yeah I also had to get a patch in the G70 about 2-3 weeks of ownership due to a nail! :oops:

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hopefully, you got it patched too. Plug only repairs are not safe.
Not too sure. He put some type of expanding resinous looking glob of substance there.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sadly with this type of lower profile tire, I say expect more nails/flats! o_O I used to get plenty of them with the RX-8 and practically none in comparison with a Sienna/Rav4/Trax. Oh and yeah I also had to get a patch in the G70 about 2-3 weeks of ownership due to a nail! :oops:
I have AWD so it's a 45- profile tire. I would think it would be generally more forgiving than the skinny tires on the sport.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have installed mushroom head plugs before with a plug tool like service stations use and never had an issue. The head opens up once inside the tire and you pull it tight against the IML of the tire. Pretty much can’t come out if installed correctly. Kept it in until time to replace tires. The cheaper plugs that are black pookey stick like material you shove in with a pick like tool, stay away from.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

At least your tire was able to be repaired. The last screw I fell victim to was embedded in the corner of the sidewall, so no tire shop was willing to patch it up and I had to buy a new replacement.

Ruach

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Long story, short. Got a TPMS light 3 days back too, and I noticed that my right rear tire is deflated. So I went to Mavis Tire center nearby and they couldn't find any nail nor puncture on it. So after they filled it up, I ran highway and it deflated again about 5 psi in 30 miles...
I went to local auto shop and they couldn't find it either, but my dad noticed that there is some leaking near the nozzle.

So I made a valet service appointment with the service center (the place where I bought) 2 days ago and was waiting to pick up my car this morning.
They didn't come nor contact me. So I called them and they said they don't get the notification from online service appointment so they are only receiving a call appointment.
The sad thing is I was keep getting the service schedule confirmation email from Genesis that someone will pick up my car this morning but the dealership is not aware of my schedule at all. Funny part is the Salesman who helped me getting the car ran over how to make an appointment using the Genesis app/website but now they are telling me they only make a service schedule with the call...?
Anyhow, I'm dropping off the car by myself today since their next available valet service is 6 days from today...

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really dont think the side profile of the tire matters here. Two of the same tire with different side profiles will have the same tread depth and thickness
True as to nails, but the higher profile is more forgiving in terms of bent wheels or blowouts.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70