Navigation system software update

BaywayRic

Been here awhile...
Finally, a peek behind curtain #1 with respect to the software system driving this car!

08-01-019 DIS NAVIGATION SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE (SERVICE CAMPAIGN T63)

November 4, 2008

DESCRIPTION
This bulletin provides the S/W (software) installation procedure to update the 2009
Genesis DIS A/V Navigation System to the latest production level software. The latest
levels are as follows:

HEAD UNIT (HU) S/W Level 16.170
UNIVERSAL TUNER AMPLIFIER (UTA) S/W Level 6.8b
HARD DISC DRIVE MAP DATA (HDD) S/W Level 3.0.01

Note that some vehicles will only require the Head Unit and UTA updates, while others
will require the complete Head Unit, UTA, and Hard Disc Drive updates.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

MODEL 2009 Genesis w/ DIS Navigation System

VEHICLE PRODUCTION RANGE

JOB 1 - OCTOBER 1, 2008

VIN RANGE FOR HU, UTA, AND HDD

KMHGC46E69U020268 ~ KMHGC46E09U030486

VIN RANGE HU AND UTA ONLY

KMHGC46EX9U029572 ~ KMHGC46EX9U035744

Simonwpb

Been here awhile...
Ric,
Thanks for posting this up... Wow you have to press 4 buttons simultaneously to enter the update menu! I wonder what differences if any you will notice after over one hour of loading software upgrades?

LCgenesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ohio
dealer just performed this update for my car today, all of my presets in XM and my entire address book for my phone was lost, also all of my addresses in my Navigation system were lost. It basically reset to factory defaults when finished. I don't see any difference yet or upgrade, and dealer was not able to tell me what the upgrade is supposed to change or add. I must say, I am a little frustrated. :confused:

I just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Sonata2009

Been here awhile...
Stokesdale, NC
I guess this is not at all unexpected, as all "factory resets" go back to square one, including PC's. That said, it's a shame there is no way to save the data externally . .

BigElm

Been here awhile...
Call HMA and find out... also they should be giving the dealer a heads up if it erases stored data and such.

zedbyers

Been here awhile...
ME/FL
I guess this is not at all unexpected, as all "factory resets" go back to square one, including PC's. That said, it's a shame there is no way to save the data externally . .
you would think it wouldn't be that hard to set it up do back up to a USB memory stick or even the 40GB hard drive....

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota
I'm scheduled to get this update on Saturday. Has anyone had it done? What functionality did it improve? And the $64K question...did it really trash all stored data?

I don't use the nav system much and can live with having a few addresses deleted, but I've got dozens of phonebook entries that I'd be cranky about losing. If that's really gonna happen, I need to know what the offsetting benefits of the upgrade involve.

jcs

Getting familiar with the group...
Ridgewood, NJ
I had it done. I did not notice any changes, but I had it done less than 24 hours after I picked up the car, so I probably would not notice any differences.

Yes, it wipes out all phone numbers in your address book and all addresses in the nav. Fortunately I had very few entered.

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota
Yes, it wipes out all phone numbers in your address book and all addresses in the nav.
Arghh! Damned inconvenient! Which leaves me with the other original question (what does this upgrade buy me?) plus a new one (is there any way to dump a phonebook onto a portable device for reloading later?).

This shortcoming definitely belongs on the list of things for Hyundai to fix for upcoming models. Periodic software updates are likely, but a manual reload of the phonebook (or nav addresses, for those that load a lot of those) every time HMA releases an update is UNACCEPTABLE!

BaywayRic

Been here awhile...
We do have dealers here, and I recall someone's brother in law is a dealer as well. The update CDs should contain a file that says either README or Release Notes. That is where you should find the detail on what applying the CD will actually change. Unlikely the service manager is going to offer this info up to a regular customer, if, as we suspect, this update will fix stuff like the NAVI address book erasing itself (they have never admitted this is an issue). If they fix stuff they never admitted was broken, it was never broken.

On the phonebook, as a workaround I would suggest you snap a digital pic of each page. You can then print them out and have a guide to quickly re-install as they were before. Still a pain in the butt though. :mad:

musher51

Been here awhile...
Minnesota
I'm the guy whose brother-in-law runs a dealership (not to mention various nephews and nephews-in-law in sales). Believe me, I'll be exercising that connection in order to find out what's being fixed, and ultimately, to determine if I'm even going to have this S/W upgrade done. Stay tuned...

Viking

Registered Member
Minnesota
I just had this TSB done today. I didn't have phone numbers loaded into the phone book (I really only call home on the short 22 minute commute each night), but it appeared to reset everything else from the audio settings to missed calls, dialed calls, etc. I even had to reset my home state in the Nav section. It did maintain the paired phones I had loaded in the system though.

Bear

Been here awhile...
The navigation was updated today and it seem to have resolved the problem I was having with the voice activation button on the steering wheel. The voice button would only work some of the time. It was not working when I arrived at the dealership.