• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Need help selecting snow tires for 2018 G90

G-311845

Just moved from TX to Montana and need different tire for the upcoming winter. Locals advise me I only need snow tires on rear - don't bother with front. Any thoughts?

Also getting different advice re studded or not. One tire shop recommends studded on all four tires. Again, any thoughts? Appreciate everyone's help.

p.s.- I have 24K miles , ContiPro tires and 3 of the 4 have failed. Thankfully I took the tires insurance offered by the dealer!

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I'd get winter tires on all 4. While you can get away with just 2, why bother? Is your safety worth it? Winter tires aren't all that expensive, not to mention if you decide to drive into the mountains you'll be glad to have them. Please, don't forget to keep a bag of kitty litter or sand in your trunk in case you get stuck and need something for extra traction. And if you will be going into dangerous mountain roads, get a set of tire chains. You can get them off Amazon much cheaper than a local shop.

Studded tires do provide extra traction, but they shred the roads. Make sure to check where they are legal in Montana.

Ride the Conti's until they are worn and then get a different set of tires. 3 failures speak volumes.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

G-982479

I'd get winter tires on all 4. While you can get away with just 2, why bother? Is your safety worth it? Winter tires aren't all that expensive, not to mention if you decide to drive into the mountains you'll be glad to have them. Please, don't forget to keep a bag of kitty litter or sand in your trunk in case you get stuck and need something for extra traction. And if you will be going into dangerous mountain roads, get a set of tire chains. You can get them off Amazon much cheaper than a local shop.

Studded tires do provide extra traction, but they shred the roads. Make sure to check where they are legal in Montana.

Ride the Conti's until they are worn and then get a different set of tires. 3 failures speak volumes.

Thanks for your input. I went ahead today and committed to four Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. Expensive at $350 per. Since my lease has only one more year and I have no big travel plans, I will have a set of low mileage snow tires next spring! Thanks to both who responded. Joe

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums