Need wisdom for My 2010 Genesis Sedan that My Dealer Just Totaled

GenExo

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
First post, and looking for help from members.

Just got news from my Hyundai dealer that fixing my check engine codes P0024 and P0025 will cost $7500, which is more than car is worth.

I’m due for a California smog test, and it fails because of the check engine codes.

Took the dealer a long time to put the quote together because, they said, to fix exhaust cam phaser Hyundai requires all sensors and cams to be replaced. Apparently many of the parts have been redesigned since 2010, so if you don’t replace them all there is a high chance that the codes will reappear after a partial repair.

So essentially today I found out that on paper my 2010 Genesis Sedan with 137,500 miles is worth nothing even though it drives fine, still gets 23 mpg and has no oil leaks.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
First post, and looking for help from members.

Just got news from my Hyundai dealer that fixing my check engine codes P0024 and P0025 will cost $7500, which is more than car is worth.

I’m due for a California smog test, and it fails because of the check engine codes.

Took the dealer a long time to put the quote together because, they said, to fix exhaust cam phaser Hyundai requires all sensors and cams to be replaced. Apparently many of the parts have been redesigned since 2010, so if you don’t replace them all there is a high chance that the codes will reappear after a partial repair.

So essentially today I found out that on paper my 2010 Genesis Sedan with 137,500 miles is worth nothing even though it drives fine, still gets 23 mpg and has no oil leaks.
That sucks. Not sure what help you are looking for but a couple of thoughts.
You could try an independent shop that would be cheaper but still no guarantee it will work.
You could possibly sell it out of state. Will still be low value but worth something in a state with no emission testing.
You could try trading it for something new or newer. Again, with CEL light on value will be down but at least may be better than Zero.
Replace with engine and anything needed from junk yard. Still has to be a few grand.

Hope someone has a cheaper idea for you. Sucks to spend a lot of money for an older car running well with modest value.

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow. Quite the click bait title.

FYI, insurance will not "total" your vehicle due to non accident (comprehension/collision) mechanical failures.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Sad story, but a good lesson for all. Don’t keep a vehicle beyond your basic warranty, or extended warranty limits without assuming a huge risk. An 11 model year-old car is a huge risk.

The $1,295 extended warranty on my 2012 covers the powertrain and much more till 2024, or 120,000 miles. I bought it in 2014. It covers the AC system, audio and nav, CV joints and much more. These days it’s our second car with under 50 thou on the odo. It’s headed towards my grandson soon to replace the ‘09 Taurus we gave him. The extended warranty is transferable for $50.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

FYI, insurance will not "total" your vehicle due to non accident (comprehension/collision) mechanical failures.
But $7500 in repairs for a car with a value near $3000 is effectively totaling it. No insurance needed.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

I agree. It made it sound like the dealer caused the damages. In this case, the dealer didn't do anything other than tell him how much they would charge to fix the car.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
V6 or V8 engine? I wonder what a 2013 used 5.0 would cost and if it would fit...

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
But $7500 in repairs for a car with a value near $3000 is effectively totaling it. No insurance needed.

Generally speaking, "totaled" is an insurance term describing the "total loss" of a vehicle when the amount to repair (collision based) it exceeds a certain percentage of it's value. It is almost never referred to when speaking in terms of mechanical repairs, as the vast majority of car insurance policies do not cover mechanical repairs. That was my point. I do see your point though, literally speaking. I just believe he could have phrased his title a little better.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would start by finding another shop, not a dealer but a quality shop and see what they can do.

I had a 1995 4-Runner 3.0 that wouldn't pass smog, I took to dealer because I knew them and trusted them, they quoted me $4,500 to repair everything for a truck worth maybe $1,500.

decided against it, bought the heads (including the cams), intake manifold, and a few misc. parts needed for the smog system for $800 had a local shop do all the work for $600, passed smog with no issue. Gave the truck to my brother and he has been driving it for 4 years, it had 284,000 miles when I gave it to him, now has 345,000 miles and still running strong.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums