• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New 3.8 L owner looking to start modding

Danimalz

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
New Genesis owner here! I plan on start building out my 3.8 (not too much, just a little here and there). The 2 modifications that I plan on doing so far are adding a K & N air filter and then a new exhaust ( I was thinking magnaflow). What have you guys done in terms of starting to mod 3.8's and what are do's and don'ts.
(also what type of exhaust systems are using if you are using after market)
Thanks!

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
New Genesis owner here! I plan on start building out my 3.8 (not too much, just a little here and there). The 2 modifications that I plan on doing so far are adding a K & N air filter and then a new exhaust ( I was thinking magnaflow). What have you guys done in terms of starting to mod 3.8's and what are do's and don'ts.
(also what type of exhaust systems are using if you are using after market)
Thanks!
As far as exhaust

The difference between the two is the 2ndary cats and the tips and about 400 dollars lol. The 15059 was made for the r spec which had the bumper exhaust. Literally everything else is the same throughout. Same mufflers/x pipe/ and pipe dimensions

The one for the 5.0 still has 2nd cats aka 15059View attachment 22187
However the 4.6 aka 16497 comes with them deleted. And has quad tips
View attachment 22188

Both options will fit 3.8 just fine

I'm selling storm lowering springs if you're interested in a nice lowered look/comfortable ride. Here is a few pictures of the ride height on the springs and OEM shocks/struts.
Screenshot_20190707-212327_Instagram.jpg
20190707_185822.jpg
20190707_185520.jpg

Any other ideas look at my sig *edit*

If you're on a phone you cant see it but here is a mod list of my 3.8l

2013 3.8L v6 Premium Pkg 91700mi
Stock Color Caspian Black Pearl~~Black on Black Interior
ZTA Hypershift W/ Blueberry Juice + High Gloss Autoflex **Peel-able Liquid Wrap**
Injen Short Ram Intake W/ Custom Heat Shield
Illuminated Genesis Door Sills
De-badge/CF KDM Trunk Emblem Replacement
Brembo Swap *Wizard Red* W/ Slotted/Drilled Rotors + Steel lines {{Thanks for the trade Xiaphin!}}
Magnaflow Cat Back 16497 W/ Quad Burnt Blue Staggered/Slanted
Wheels - Rohana RC10 Matte Graphite w/ Gloss Black Lip F: 20x9 +25 R: 20x10 +40
Tires - Michelin PS4S Current: F-235/35/r20 R-275/30/r20 Future: F-265/35/r20 R-305/30/r20
Storm Springs(Custom BR Coil DS series 8k F-Swift Springs/R-10k spring rate)
Uniq Performance Rigid Collars
Full Ultra Racing Stability Bar Kit

Thing handles like a Beast through mountain switchbacks.
Have plans to eventually swap in a 5.0 after i get hopefully at least 200k out of my 3.8 or possible 3.8T kit in the future now that ecu is tunable and they just released 9ne for the BK platform.

Last edited:

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
any idea on pricing of those?
Well they dont have one for our vehicle specifically so no.. but a starting point for a retrofit would be 4k for the BK2 3.8T and I'm sure a bit more money and a lot of time to actually retrofit the kit

WPGGenesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thats crazy I was thinking of cutting out muffleds and adding in 18' or so glasspacks. Much easier on the budget

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
Thats crazy I was thinking of cutting out muffleds and adding in 18' or so glasspacks. Much easier on the budget
I'm pretty excited I'm getting a ported TB and having entire intake manifold upper and lower ported and polished. I will then be tuned for 91 pump(cali things) aaand be pretty much at the limit as far drawing power from this 3.8 motor.. I do have plans to try ands get some dyno time in before hand so that the numbers can be compared

WPGGenesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm pretty excited I'm getting a ported TB and having entire intake manifold upper and lower ported and polished. I will then be tuned for 91 pump(cali things) aaand be pretty much at the limit as far drawing power from this 3.8 motor.. I do have plans to try ands get some dyno time in before hand so that the numbers can be compared
Interested in those numbers for sure
Keep posted

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums