• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New Genesis dealer response to GV80 inquiry

Curt@MSN

Been here awhile...
Madison, WI
Pulling my hair out (again) on our local Genesis dealer situation.

tl;dr version: I think the dealer network might still need work

Backgroud - I purchased a Hyundai Genesis the second year they were out and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately it was totalled out in an accident a couple years back and I ended up replacing it with an Audi A7 because our Hyundai dealer couldn't carry the G80 Sport and wasn't planning on starting a Genesis dealer.

Flash forward to today....Now our local Hyundai dealer HAS launched a Genesis dealer colocated with his Hyundai store. Yeah! My wife has expressed interest in getting a new GV80 when they come out....perfect timining. Call the dealer....gives me all the sales pitch on how happy they are to bring Genesis back to town, etc. I ask about the upcoming GV80....

What happened next about caused me to drop the phone: "At this point in time we have no plans to carry the SUV line"

Say What? I clarified everything I had just asked as surely he didn't understand what I was asking. Sure enough: "We have the G70, G80 and G90 and no plans to carry the SUV."

Its possible I might have being fed some typical "I don't want to talk about what I can't sell today" or some other crazy dealer propaganda but I can't imagine a full line dealer who NOW shows up in the Genesis locator and HAS inventory wouldn't sell the SUVs - that seems on the surface at least to be NUTS. I emailed Genesis North America and they gave me the standard response of "each dealer is independently owned", etc (super fast turn around to my inquiry FYI).

The conspiracy side of me does wonder if Genesis NA is making those elite Hyundai dealers who did sign new Genesis dealer agreements to agree to building a stand alone store before they will allocate them SUVs?

- Curt

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Curt@MSN

Been here awhile...
Madison, WI
.... Does the dealer have to pay more for the franchise? Our local Caddy/Olds dealer decided against selling the Allante because they would have to pay $50,000 for the franchise and they figured it would not be worth it for them. They were right.
When I worked as the service manager at a standalone BMW store in the 1980s BWW required you to purchase a big automated Sun test rig for dealing with the new digital wiring (must have been early CAN bus or something similar) on the BMW 7 series. Dealers who wouldn't buy it didn't get the new 7 series. Honestly in this case I think I am just being fed a line since they don't have them yet. IF they were being serious I suspect that will change when GV80s purchased elsewhere start showing up around town in their service area :)

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ Seems like they're feeding you a line.

Makes no sense in going thru the trouble of getting a Genesis franchise and not sell what are expected to be the volume sellers.

There's really no extra cost in selling the CUVs (aside from increased inventory costs) as due to having essentially the same platforms and powertrains, mechanics would be able to work on both w/ much additional training.

Otoh, can see if dealerships decide to forgo carrying the production version of the Essentia (if it comes to fruition) b/c they don't want to deal w/ the expense of having to service a BEV (altho Hyundai dealerships should have some sort of experience w/ BEVs already).

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums