• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New Owner of a Certified 2016 3.8 Genesis Ultimate

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just bought a used 2016 3.8 Genesis Ultimate (32k miles Ibiza blue and ivory interior, very nice) and it is at the dealer with the 25-30 mph fluttering problem for over a week now. Luckily I have this forum and have directed the dealer on how to solve the problem, (drive shaft and propeller shaft) I think they are cooperating. I have also now read that the sunroof panel can "blow up" is this true? I am hoping that you experienced owners can give me some pointers and also what to look out for on this vehicle. I really like it, so far only turn offs are the lack of base on the sound system, yeah 17 speakers but no subwoofer, nav system that cannot be upgraded to android for the ultimates (is this true just read it), and of course having it at the dealer for over a week. Thanks everyone.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Ebbtide

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just bought a used 2016 3.8 Genesis Ultimate (32k miles Ibiza blue and ivory interior, very nice) and it is at the dealer with the 25-30 mph fluttering problem for over a week now. Luckily I have this forum and have directed the dealer on how to solve the problem, (drive shaft and propeller shaft) I think they are cooperating. I have also now read that the sunroof panel can "blow up" is this true? I am hoping that you experienced owners can give me some pointers and also what to look out for on this vehicle. I really like it, so far only turn offs are the lack of base on the sound system, yeah 17 speakers but no subwoofer, nav system that cannot be upgraded to android for the ultimates (is this true just read it), and of course having it at the dealer for over a week. Thanks everyone.
I recently bought a 2015 Ultimate and also noticed the lack of a solid bass. I turned the base up to 10 and it helped. I'm in my 60's so I'm not looking for rap type bass just a better bottom. Hyundai should correct this.

You will receive a notification from Hyundai about the roof saying they will repair it at no charge. I don't think it has happed too often. If you don't mind what did it cost? Thanks

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
I thought I got a good deal paid 25.5 k, 2016 ultimate with 32k miles and very clean. Bought it in San Diego. A little disappointed I have the 25-30 mph flutter issue, but hopefully once that is resolved I have a solid car. How about you did you get a good deal? Also genesis badging all around, no hyundai symbols, I like that.

Last edited:

Ebbtide

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I thought I got a good deal paid 25.5 k, 2016 ultimate with 32k miles and very clean. Bought it in San Diego. A little disappointed I have the 25-30 mph flutter issue, but hopefully once that is resolved I have a solid car. How about you did you get a good deal? Also genesis badging all around, no hyundai symbols, I like that.
You did got a good deal. I paid $22,100 with 31,000 miles about 3 months ago.. The car was in great shape but it needed tires which the dealership put on. Actually they just replaced the fronts and I didn't noticed until a week later that they didn't do the rears. If all 4 tires were not done it would never be right. Fronts new, rears 31,000. The rears new, fronts 31000. You get the idea. AWD cars need tires to have similar tread wear. I called my salesman and had to go back but finally got 4 new tires. I removed the Hyundai and added the Genesis emblem to the trunk.

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
You got a great deal, I did notice all wheel drives were going a little cheaper must be due to lower mpg. I purposely stayed away from those since I live in Los Angeles. Dealers are very bad, mine got 4 new tires of the cheapest brand available (imove ironman), disappointing for a "certified" vehicle I also did not get an owners manual, my fault for not noticing this and asking for it to be included, when I told them I wanted it they ignored my request. Luckily it is available online. I think my wife may drive it a lot more she keeps asking when is it coming back from the dealer. If she does that is fine I can keep my 2017 honda civic sport manual tranny, fun but a little tiring in LA traffic. That was my mid life crisis car, I am 50.

Ebbtide

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I live in CT so the 4 wheel drive is helpful. Don't forget mine is a 15 and yours is a 16. Surprising my mileage has been excellent. The EPA has it low. I get 29 on the highway. All around 22 to 23. Mine has the 3.8 motor.

billybombill

Genesis Model Type
Congrats! Coincidentally I picked up an identical Genesis a few weeks ago. 2016 3.8 Ultimate, Ibiza Blue / Ivory. 30,000 miles for $26k. Tried out many others colors and trims locally but being a CPO, ultimate, and with the Ivory interior I couldn't resist.

Only complaint so far is lack of Android Auto/Carplay :( For now I've mounted my phone below the display and run AA there, and use the display for media (or just turn it off entirely). Works well enough, though I wish holding down the voice-command button worked for Android instead of only Siri.

There was this comment back in October where a CS rep suggested they were still looking into updating the Ultimate DIS, but I'm not going to get my hopes up (yet!).

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
yeah its a shame we cant get android auto, my preference, and I heard lesser genesis can, that's a shame. Nice buy, its a looker, kinda pimpy but in a good way, LOL. Can anyone recommend a good cell phone car mount that goes nice with this car?

battalla1

2015 Genesis ultimate 3.8 rwd White.. jog dial
Genesis Model Type
eBay and Amazon has some good ones ...look for cd mounted phone holder . It fits into the cd slot and you can still plays cds too and it keeps the phone out of the radio view and air vents. I will try to find the link to the one I have

billybombill

Genesis Model Type
There's some custom made phone mounts for the G80, but either you have to cover the air vent (no-go for me in the summer) or have a large mount clipped to your center console. Wanted to keep the CD player available as well.

I stole this idea from someone else on here, the passenger airbag light area is flat/convenient place for a phone mount, and this one fit perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I608BJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vhv9CbMNPNRZQ

There are two indented lines on the mount's base where you can easily cut through and make the base a small square. Which fits perfectly over the airbag light and doesn't cover up any buttons, not too low down either. A nice and discreet solution I think :)

Attachments

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
I have some simple questions and sorry if they are dumb , i am just too lazy to look them up:

1. Anyway to have car always stay in sport mode?
2. Can you program the vehicle to lock automatically when you walk away?
2. I have the ultimate should I try and update the nav (i dont use it) to try and get android/apple?

Thanks

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the quick reply. Anyone know when the extended warranty would need to be bought and what the cost is? My car is a 2016 and has 33k miles.

billybombill

Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the quick reply. Anyone know when the extended warranty would need to be bought and what the cost is? My car is a 2016 and has 33k miles.
Can chime in as mine is pretty much a twin to yours, same mileage/etc. Had some speaker issues and after some diagnosis got the ultimate head unit replaced (quoted at $5,000!) about a month ago. Most electronics on the 2016 are only warrantied until 3yr/36k miles, so I got lucky the issues happened while under warranty.

After that I went straight to sales :p Purchased a Fidelity extended warranty (extends the 36/3 to 10yr/100k w/ $50 deductible) for $1,900, which they financed to like $80/month with no interest. I would only get the highest "Platinum"/exclusionary coverage as that covers anything that's not in a small exclusion list, the lower tiers are more hassle than they're worth and not significantly cheaper.

ChicanoCast

Genesis Model Type
Thanks, I better get to asking about extended warranty because mine is st around 34k and I plan to keep it for a while, i like it and it really looks good.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums