New tires

dhall57

Getting familiar with the group...
Thread starter #1
My 2013 Genesis 3.8 needs tires. The car had Mich ES 235 50 18 on it when I bought it last year. I think these are the OE tires that came on the car. I know these tires have some miles on them but to me they aren't very quite and the road noise bothers me. I know their is many choices out there and many price ranges and I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but my pocket book want let me spend a ton of money on tires so I'm looking at something in the mid price range $600 to 650 range. I know someone who runs a tire store and he says the Hankook S1 Noble2 is a good tire for the money and is quite and smooth and has good feed back from customer. I.ve seen good and not so good reviews about this tire. Has anyone ever run these on their Genesis.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have had some Halnkook tires in the past and will never buy them again. Traction was a real issue with them. There were scary if there was the slightest amount of water on the pavement.

Audio

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have had some Halnkook tires in the past and will never buy them again. Traction was a real issue with them. There were scary if there was the slightest amount of water on the pavement.
Treadwear rating(which is how soft the compound is), along with the specific design of the tire will have a lot to do with that. I'd hate to write off an entire manufacturer because of experience with one tire model. That's like a person I know who wrote off all of Pontiac because her 1997 Grand Prix had so many little issues at 100k+ miles......

I could go on and on about different tires for different scenarios and what I've experienced between fun weekend cars to daily drivers etc. But I'll at least say this: I'm currently running Continental Pure Contact tires and they have not failed me yet. I almost ALWAYS suggest a summer specific tire, and if it ever gets cold or snowy, I suggest a separate set of dedicated winter tires. With that said, in non-winter conditions these tires have been amazing for an all-season(they genuinely suck in the snow). On the upper-end of your budget the Continental Extreme Contact's are basically the next step up into a summer performance tire. I don't have specific experience with them, but I'd be willing to bet they're a great tire. Looks like they're about $164/ea. at DiscountTireDirect so they're right up at the peak of what you said you want to spend. The Pure Contacts are well within your budget, but might not be as high performing as they're an "all season" design with a stiffer compound which will mean less sticky, but longer life.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Treadwear rating(which is how soft the compound is), along with the specific design of the tire will have a lot to do with that. I'd hate to write off an entire manufacturer because of experience with one tire model. That's like a person I know who wrote off all of Pontiac because her 1997 Grand Prix had so many little issues at 100k+ miles......

I could go on and on about different tires for different scenarios and what I've experienced between fun weekend cars to daily drivers etc. But I'll at least say this: I'm currently running Continental Pure Contact tires and they have not failed me yet. I almost ALWAYS suggest a summer specific tire, and if it ever gets cold or snowy, I suggest a separate set of dedicated winter tires. With that said, in non-winter conditions these tires have been amazing for an all-season(they genuinely suck in the snow). On the upper-end of your budget the Continental Extreme Contact's are basically the next step up into a summer performance tire. I don't have specific experience with them, but I'd be willing to bet they're a great tire. Looks like they're about $164/ea. at DiscountTireDirect so they're right up at the peak of what you said you want to spend. The Pure Contacts are well within your budget, but might not be as high performing as they're an "all season" design with a stiffer compound which will mean less sticky, but longer life.
I have lots of experience with the Continental Extreme DWS. They are great tires. I am currently riding on the Continental Pro Contact that came with my G80 and those have been good for me as well. I had two sets of Hanook on two different cars and all I can say is that they sucked! I never felt safe driving those tires even on dry pavement. I don't recall if they were the same tire. They were terrible tires that I replaced well before they were worn because they were so bad. Look at the reviews on Tirerack for the Hanooks. They do not have good reviews.

Chicago Bob

Hasn't posted much yet...
Recently upgraded to Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires on my 2011 4.6. Had these same tires on a previous car (Lexus LS400) and eagerly waited for original Michelins on my 4.6 to wear down so I could replace them. Best tires I have ever purchased.

These Turanzas are a bit softer, which may lead to shorter wear life . . but they ar4 (IMO) the very best road trip tires available. Like riding on pillows when you are on good roads.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
We had the OEM Michelin "Green X" tires on the car when we bought in new in June 2011. Those tires wore poorly and the sidewalls cracked (we lived in SE AZ) so much that I had to get new tires under the warranty. Of course, I had to replace them with Mich Green X again...and those lasted until, oh, about 18 months ago. When we replaced THOSE, I decided to go with Continental Control Contact 235/50 ZR as we didn't like the road noise from the Mich tires. So far we've been very pleased with the Conts. Just my experience with them. They do nice in the rain, stopping is excellent and as much as I can say they're OK in snow, but that damn car is hard to drive in snow anyways....LOL...

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
I might try a set of 'Stones for my next set. I do LIKE to try different tires as well. I also like Cooper tires as well, as I've always have great experiences with them on my other vehicles....

Paul

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My car came with Kumho Ecsta PA31 A/S tires on it in 235/50-18. While not a bad tire for all season, I live in Florida and really have no need for an all-season radial. Waited for them to get down to about 5/32nds and replaced them with the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2. I've used these tires on a couple of previous cars and have loved them. They have 340 treadwear and a AA traction rating. They are super grippy and handle all but the wettest of weather in stride. Seeing that it rains here in Florida nearly every day during the summer, a tire that has phenomenal resistance to hydroplaning is a must have. While they are a great tire, I will warn you.. They are loud. They are superb on a car like a Mustang or a Miata where the road noise gets drowned out by the exhaust or having the top down, but on a car like the Genesis which is nearly silent inside with the windows up, the road noise can be a bit annoying.
If you can deal with a bit of road noise, they are a great tire.
I've recently installed a new set of wheels and tires and now have Continental Extreme Contact Sports in 245/40-20 in the front and 275/35-20 in the rear. Continentals are the tire that you not only want but you also need. They have virtually zero road noise, are extremely grippy and do outstanding in the rain. Best part is that they won't break the bank

DWIL80

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Pirelli Cinturato P7 is a great all weather, quiet tire with decent treadware ratings. I had a set on my former LS460 and they were the best shoes I ever purchased for that car. And remember that car was HEAVY and known for going through tires quickly.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.