New tires

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did we ever come to a understanding on a preferred set of tires for the Genesis Ultimate?

v1911

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I just went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Liking them a lot.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have Yokohama AVAN Sport A/S+ tires om my 5.0 Ultimate. I am happy with them so far and give them two thumbs up.

Kosta

Genesis Model Type
Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All season, not even 2 months ago, after 1500 miles on them i can say i'm pretty pleased with them so far
Good performance all around

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All season, not even 2 months ago, after 1500 miles on them i can say i'm pretty pleased with them so far
Good performance all around
I think these are my next set. Bought the Yoko's, rears didn't make it 10K miles. Have a mismatched set of Yoko/Nitto(rears) now. Had to take the Nittos, they were free replacement on the Yoko. Not bad so far.

v1911

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I had the Michelins on my Equus. Terrific tread life! I think I got about 40k miles out of them. Best set of tires I’d ever purchased! But at a significant cost increase over the Continental brand. I just couldn’t justify doing that again.
I like Yokohama tires, but in my experience, I feel that their tread life just isn’t there.

Mind you, that was about $1600 installed for the Michelins. I got the Continentals install OTD for $1000. And that included 2 year road hazard!

So unless these DWS 06 are absolutely garbage, I won’t be going back to the Michelins.

yolonge

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Cockeysville, MD
Genesis Model Type
I just went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Liking them a lot.
Second on this. Somewhat of budget (compare to other tires) option but I have enjoyed it while I had it. Good grip on the road and felt very safe driving it on the corners.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I think these are my next set. Bought the Yoko's, rears didn't make it 10K miles. Have a mismatched set of Yoko/Nitto(rears) now. Had to take the Nittos, they were free replacement on the Yoko. Not bad so far.
What Yokohama tires did you have?

Could you post a picture of the tires you have on your car?

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
What Yokohama tires did you have?

Could you post a picture of the tires you have on your car?
Well I stand corrected. Bear in mind this is a 5.0 Ultimate. So I stopped back by Discount Tire yesterday for a slow leak in the Rear Nitto, piece of metal, patched no problem. BUT....the guy checked my depth and says I'm back down to 3/15ths or whatever, and says I need rear soon again. Shocked, I had him check the mileage of when those were installed, just over 13K ago. Bear in mind this is a 60K rated tire. So here we go again. The Yoko's which are still in front are wearing badly on the inside, even tho I had an alignment at the dealer just prior to that install. I understand staggered tires will give you half the estimated tread life, but I'm not even getting half now. Less than 1/4. WTF...seriously, I'm not doing donuts everyday, or ever for that matter. Most of the miles are highway commute in ATL. But Yes, I'll send a pic. Also, the wear pattern across the back tires is perfectly even across the tire, unlike the fronts.

Last edited:

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
So just replaced the Nittos. After further inspection, it seems all 4 tires are wearing out from inside. But damn, 13K on a 60 K tire. Rediculous. See pics 1st is new vs 13K, and the other is the left rear. New vs 13K Right Rear.jpg

Attachments

• Left Rear.jpg
    Left Rear.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 7

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well I stand corrected. Bear in mind this is a 5.0 Ultimate. So I stopped back by Discount Tire yesterday for a slow leak in the Rear Nitto, piece of metal, patched no problem. BUT....the guy checked my depth and says I'm back down to 3/15ths or whatever, and says I need rear soon again. Shocked, I had him check the mileage of when those were installed, just over 13K ago. Bear in mind this is a 60K rated tire. So here we go again. The Yoko's which are still in front are wearing badly on the inside, even tho I had an alignment at the dealer just prior to that install. I understand staggered tires will give you half the estimated tread life, but I'm not even getting half now. Less than 1/4. WTF...seriously, I'm not doing donuts everyday, or ever for that matter. Most of the miles are highway commute in ATL. But Yes, I'll send a pic. Also, the wear pattern across the back tires is perfectly even across the tire, unlike the fronts.
Them's the breaks. A big, heavy powerful car like our 5.0s just go through tires. I've got 18K on my Michelins and the dealership says the tread is "yellow." I budgeted for replacing them every 2-3 years. It's a damm good thing I have traction control.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
So just replaced the Nittos. After further inspection, it seems all 4 tires are wearing out from inside. But damn, 13K on a 60 K tire. Rediculous. See pics 1st is new vs 13K, and the other is the left rear. View attachment 37038

I had the same thing happen with my Conti stock rear tires. Replaced with the same tires (at a great price) and the tire shop made some adjustments to the rear alignment. Can't remember just what it was, but it hasn't changed the performance as far as I can tell and the tires seem to be wearing more evenly now.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S as well. Excellent tires. Discount Tire advisor warned me about the staggered tires and that the rear ones were only covered at half the mileage warranty (22,500 miles).

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO EXERCISE THE TREAD WEAR WARRANTY. If the manufacturer says these are 60,000 mile tires and you don't even make it to 30,000, you are entitled to 50% back on a replacement tire. Discount Tire is excellent dealing with the manufacturers to get you a replacement.

As for tire price, I bought over Labor Day weekend and got a massive rebate. Shop around the holidays!

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
Oh yeah, I'm wearing them out on the warranty. I'm buying @ discount tire as well. Gonna see if the dealer can get the alignment right. 13k, on a 60k tire considering 90% is highway miles, is rediculous.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S as well. Excellent tires. Discount Tire advisor warned me about the staggered tires and that the rear ones were only covered at half the mileage warranty (22,500 miles).

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO EXERCISE THE TREAD WEAR WARRANTY. If the manufacturer says these are 60,000 mile tires and you don't even make it to 30,000, you are entitled to 50% back on a replacement tire. Discount Tire is excellent dealing with the manufacturers to get you a replacement.

As for tire price, I bought over Labor Day weekend and got a massive rebate. Shop around the holidays!
Thanks. I’m running with those. Now way I’m making it to 30K!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners