new to me, soon to be 2015 Ultimate

batmanmiami1

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thread starter #1
Well, I haven't bitten it yet the bullet is in my mouth. If everything is done to my satisfaction I'll finalize the deal Monday. It's just a shame a Hyundia dealership, who advertises the a car as certified with less then 21K miles, has so many things that are noticed by a novice. Windshield wipers need replacing, key fob batteries need replacing, car pulls to the right large wear/ scratch marks driver side of console just to name a few. Of course they told me just sign on the dotted line and all repairs will be made to which I replied, NO, fix the car to my satisfaction & kiss your $1000 dealer fee good by. I'll hand you the keys to my trade-in and 14000K when it's ready. The sad part for the dealership is by Monday I'll have researched the car thru this forum and have a real "new owner" certification & a laundry list of things I intend to check.
I also left them a list of everything I wanted done & if everything isn't done on the list it's another $500 off the price, which they agreed to. Either they fix it or my picture will posted on their bulletin " if you see this buyer hid, he's serious.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm astonished! It sounds like you have some distrust of a car salesman.
Some dealers will do right by you and fix the minor things but I guess some hope you never see them. Fob batteries are usually about 18 months. Pulling to the right should be checked out though. Good chance the previous owner met a big pothole.

If everything is done to your satisfaction, you will have a car that is very nice to drive. Hope it works out for you.

batmanmiami1

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #3
you think!! I really hope they live up to their obligations. I'm only asking them to repair what should have been repaired/replaced before presenting it as a "Certified" vehicle. Good thing is, there many H dealers in South fl & I'm sure I'll find exactly what I'm looking for. The way I see it if I'm purchasing a 3 years old car that's already lost half of it's sticker price might as well get what I want. But, it would be hard to turn down the deal, white with beige interior 20K+miles Ultimate. Not sure I'm young enough to ever figure out everything the car can do, guess I'll have to find a 10 year kid that needs a part time job.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
I wouldn't buy the car - sounds like it has serious probs.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not sure I'm young enough to ever figure out everything the car can do, guess I'll have to find a 10 year kid that needs a part time job.
There is a lot and it comes with a few thick manuals. There are a few things I never use so I just passed over them for a log time. I read the manual, then read it again after a couple of months and then read it again. I mostly listen to the SiriusXm radio so don't care about most of the media connecting others find important.
Great car to drive, especially on long trips.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It's just a shame a Hyundia dealership, who advertises the a car as certified with less then 21K miles, has so many things that are noticed by a novice.
Based on what others have posted on this forum about problems with CPO cars, it sounds like what you are experiencing is normal for Hyundai dealers. They don't really do the inspections, although they generally will fix things that you find that need repair soon after the purchase.

But I think you are absolutely right to make them fix the problems first. The problem is that there may be some problems you can't see because you are not mechanic looking underneath the car on a lift.

This lack of serious CPO inspections is something that HMA really should do something about, and they can't really say it is up to the dealer like they say on a lot of shady things dealers do or say.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Food for thought from cbsnews.com
Certification doesn't guarantee a problem-free car. The image of certified cars -- bolstered by car industry advertising -- is that you will be worry-free with your vehicle. Compared with a new car, that certified car will have had a year or more for something to go wrong that might not be detected by the inspection. Or there could have been initial quality problems in the new car. Edmunds.com recounted complaints it had received about problems with certified used cars -- such as steering wheel shimmy at high speeds -- where it turned out that issue had been present even in new cars of that make and model from the same year.

I think they do have to fix problems covered under an extended warranty but there is no guarantee that they will find all problems ahead of time. I can see where if it’s too much work for them before the sale they may just chose to sell it to the next guy who doesn’t look as close. Depends on the deal and their profit.

Good luck in your search.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Food for thought from cbsnews.com
Certification doesn't guarantee a problem-free car. The image of certified cars -- bolstered by car industry advertising -- is that you will be worry-free with your vehicle. Compared with a new car, that certified car will have had a year or more for something to go wrong that might not be detected by the inspection. Or there could have been initial quality problems in the new car. Edmunds.com recounted complaints it had received about problems with certified used cars -- such as steering wheel shimmy at high speeds -- where it turned out that issue had been present even in new cars of that make and model from the same year.

I think they do have to fix problems covered under an extended warranty but there is no guarantee that they will find all problems ahead of time. I can see where if it’s too much work for them before the sale they may just chose to sell it to the next guy who doesn’t look as close. Depends on the deal and their profit.

Good luck in your search.
No one said that at CPO guarantees a problem-free car. No one said anything like that.

But it is clear from many members who have posted in these forums that most Hyundai dealers do not do any inspection for a CPO, as they advertise that they do. The proof of that are the number of obvious problems that buyers have found right after driving off the lot, with problems so obvious that no one could possibly have done the required inspections. Fortunately, I have not heard of any dealers refusing to fix problems that the customer found after taking possession of a CPO, but nevertheless it seems the dealers don't want to take the time and money to do the inspection, and leave it up to the customer to report problems after delivery.

CPO requires a 150 Point Inspection. Go to this link to see what is supposed to be inspected:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/150-Point Inspection Check Sheet.pdf

Notice there is a place for the signature of the Technition, Service Manager, CPO Manager, and customer. I wonder if all CPO buyers have seen this document?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
No one said that at CPO guarantees a problem-free car. No one said anything like that.

But it is clear from many members who have posted in these forums that most Hyundai dealers do not do any inspection for a CPO, as they advertise that they do. The proof of that are the number of obvious problems that buyers have found right after driving off the lot, with problems so obvious that no one could possibly have done the required inspections. Fortunately, I have not heard of any dealers refusing to fix problems that the customer found after taking possession of a CPO, but nevertheless it seems the dealers don't want to take the time and money to do the inspection, and leave it up to the customer to report problems after delivery.

CPO requires a 150 Point Inspection. Go to this link to see what is supposed to be inspected:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/150-Point Inspection Check Sheet.pdf

Notice there is a place for the signature of the Technition, Service Manager, CPO Manager, and customer. I wonder if all CPO buyers have seen this document?
Of course no one said it. I was just pointing out that they should not expect it. It is not the answer to all used car problems. Secondarily, let’s see how batmanmiami1 does with his required fixes.

batmanmiami1

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #10
Of course no one said it. I was just pointing out that they should not expect it. It is not the answer to all used car problems. Secondarily, let’s see how batmanmiami1 does with his required fixes.
Let you guys know tomorrow. If i have to check out as many things i can on the 150 point checklist I will. I have quite laundry list already. It's good to be retired. I also found out from the car fax the right front tire was replaced with less then 20k miles. Let me see, car pulls to right, right front replaced hmmmmm

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Let you guys know tomorrow. If i have to check out as many things i can on the 150 point checklist I will. I have quite laundry list already. It's good to be retired. I also found out from the car fax the right front tire was replaced with less then 20k miles. Let me see, car pulls to right, right front replaced hmmmmm
More than a few of these cars have issues with rattling panoramic sunroofs. Make sure you test drive the car on different road surfaces other than perfectly smooth so you can check for this. If it's present, i'd highly recommend passing on the vehicle as Hyundai does not appear to be have a fix.

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You are correct that the CPO is not the answer to all used car problems. However, after reading this forum for 9 years, and seeing many posts from members who bought CPO cars with grossly apparent problems, it appears that many dealers do not perform the 150 point CPO inspection specified by HMA, and the dealers just rely on the buyer to let them know what needs to be fixed after delivery of the CPO car. That is not right IMO.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
You are correct that the CPO is not the answer to all used car problems. However, after reading this forum for 9 years, and seeing many posts from members who bought CPO cars with grossly apparent problems, it appears that many dealers do not perform the 150 point CPO inspection specified by HMA, and the dealers just rely on the buyer to let them know what needs to be fixed after delivery of the CPO car. That is not right IMO.
Yes I agree with you on that.

batmanmiami1

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #14
any the beat goes on, everything done as requested (at least according to the dealership). Now they can't find the SIM card.(going to overnight it to the dealership) They asked me if I would come in and sign the paperwork, so I wouldn't have any delays tomorrow. I told them I would be more then glad to come in and give them an unsigned blank check so they wouldn't have any delays tomorrow. I think they got my drift.

s

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
any the beat goes on, everything done as requested (at least according to the dealership). Now they can't find the SIM card.(going to overnight it to the dealership) They asked me if I would come in and sign the paperwork, so I wouldn't have any delays tomorrow. I told them I would be more then glad to come in and give them an unsigned blank check so they wouldn't have any delays tomorrow. I think they got my drift.
s
It's good to give them a taste of their own once in a while. Good on your part

batmanmiami1

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #16
Finally closed the deal on the 2015 Ultimate a week ago. Everything, I thought was done to my satisfaction. Front end alignment was done correctly at last & car goes down the road straight. After checking everything I thought I could I forgot the obvious, left side back seat window would not go down, dealer fixed it in about an hour. I found perhaps the only salesman in the whole dealership that fully understood the complicated (at least to me) nav and other systems. He sat in the car with me for about an hour and we went through about everything I needed, or thought I needed to know. Other then the completely useless "Certified" pre-owned moniker everything went well at the end. Not that it will do any good I'm writing to Hyundia and giving them my purchase experience with a "Certified" vehicle. I was told by the dealership the Genesis is in the process of becoming a stand alone brand like Lexus is to Toyota & Infinity is to Nissan. The only issue I have to deal with now is a 2015 Genesis is considered a Hyundai site vehicle and newer Genesis' are found on the Genesis site. So far millage not that great, but, I have had my foot in it quite a bit. All in all happy with the car just might take another month or so to figure out all it has to offer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.