No Air blowing from vents 2014 3.8

Thread starter #1

DaNooch

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hello everyone! I purchased a 2014 3.8l sedan with everything but the tech package on Nov 28th. I love the car, it's great all around. But...now I'm experiencing two issues that were not present at the time of purchase and until a few days ago. I've searched the internet and this forum along with others for 2 days and can find no thread with my symptoms.

Basically the climate control system thinks it's functioning fine, I can change everything from heat to AC, auto or manual, adjust all the speeds and vents, but there is zero flow from the vents regardless or any speed or any temp I choose.

From what I can gather is that this is either a blower motor failure or a blower motor resistor failure. But I'm leaning towards the motor and not the resistor cause generally a resistor will still let the highest setting work since it just bypasses, and I wouldn't think it would kill all airflow?? I can literally hear all of the vents moving and changing when I select settings on the climate control bar..

Do you all have any input on this?? Also does anyone have any basic steps or a Manual to just show me what I have to remove to access the motor? I beleive (according to the manual) that there is only one blower relay in the whole car? Is there another relay or fuse that effects power to the blower?

I'll discuss the other issue in another thread as this one is long! Im sorry I just want to fix this quick and I don't want to pay the dealer to diagnose it for me cause I'm short on funds from the car purchase and Xmas etc.. I'm very capable with cars and have all the tools one would ever need. the labor or skill is not a concern. Thank you all so much and sorry for the long first post!!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Had a similar issue on a GM car and it was the motor. Good chance yours is too. Except you probably have to pull it out to check it for sure.

Thread starter #3

DaNooch

Genesis Model Type
Had a similar issue on a GM car and it was the motor. Good chance yours is too. Except you probably have to pull it out to check it for sure.
Yea I'm about 80% positive it's the motor as well. And according to some maintenance tracking websites it is the most common. I ordered one. The same Motors are over double the cost at a local store.. but regardless not an expensive part period.

You can never be sure though, esp with an electrical system as complex as ours. Thanks!

Thread starter #4

DaNooch

Genesis Model Type
So in case someone runs into this problem with their blower motor in the future I am gna update on the issue and fix, cause there is NOTHING on the internet about this! It was frustrating.

The problem was indeed the blower motor. The second most common cause for your climate control system to not blow air through the vents period is the blower resistor. But, if that was bad there will generally almost always be one fan setting that still works. Usually on max because the resistor is bypassed at full demand. That's just information to help you.

In reality you need to check the fuses first and work your way from there to truly know the cause but, it can only be a few things..I knew the climate control buttons were working cause it was registering on the touch screen every input I made so the controller was good.

From the manual I found the 4 fuse boxes on our car but the blower related fuses/relay are all in one fuse box, which is the one at the rear passenger side of the engine above the air filter and battery terminals.. There is a 40amp blower fuse and a 30amp relay for the blower right next to it. Simple check with a meter tells if they are good or not. Mine were.

So I got to the part that I was completely unsure about and was 50/50 on how involved the task was to remove the blower. I swear I guess no one DIY works on their genesis? Almost literally any other car there a YouTube video or write up on how to do anything. Not a 2014 genesis.. 😒

One forum I was reading a guy mentioned all this stuff that's got to come out and what not I was like "man this is gna suck" all wrong it's prob the easiest fix I have ever done. You do not even remove the glove box! It's literally three screws on the panel directly below the glovebox and then remove the one 2 wire connector from the blower motor. Ifnyou do find out the motor is bad it simply 3 Phillips screws again and the blower and wheel drop right out. Literally 5 mins. Hardest part is unplugging the damn connector!!

Still had to rule out the resistor being bad so checked the connector and it was getting power at all the settings. Put the new motor in and what do you know?!! Works perfect!! Then jt was back together in like 4 minutes.

This job was so easy I thought I messed up.. it's really a cake walk and I was so pleasantly surprised by that!!

For everyone's info there are two repro manufacturers you can order from or get the carquest one. On RockAuto the Siemens VDO one was out of stock, then the four seasons one is $39.. which is awesome. The exact same one that's $39 is $99-$120 from advance or auto zone. That's a huge difference. In price? But it's f'n cold and I'm not waiting. The factory Hyundai part is like $140. And I don't want that one cause it broke after 4 years!! The fastest I could get one here was EOB Tuesday. And paying for the best shipping (minus overnight) brought the rock auto $39 one to almost $70 with tax.. but advance had a 25% sale online that brought theirs to like $80 with tax. I'll pay $15 more to have heat the next week!! Lol, I picked it up and it might have killed me!! The resistor is almost double. Cheapest resistor would be like $70 some..

Just trying to update so if someone has my problem then they'll find this thread.. but seriously easiest thing ever. Very happy I have HVAC again..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.