No more V8's for the Genesis line

GRIFF

Registered Member
Looks like starting with the 2017 model year, the only way to obtain a 5.0 V8 will be to purchase a G90 Equus.

6 cylinders only for Genesis.

A disappointment to me, love my 2012 5.0 sedan.

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
The 365 BHP TT V6 has lots of room to grow, even in factory trim. It was tuned for the G90 to harken back to the bi-turbo V8 and V12 S-Class, which accelerated in such a smooth manner that it made you forget there were 510 horses under the hood. In the G90, it hits peak torque of 376 lb-ft at 1,300 RPM and holds it flat until 4,500 RPM.

To put it in perspective, 376 lb-ft is also how much torque the Tau 5.0 V8 put out until the DH came out (And then it was only 7 lb-ft more).

Will you miss it? Maybe the sound, but I can guarantee you the performance won't suffer one bit.

Finally, it's the way that market is heading. Even BMW and MB are shying away from V8s, while they are still available in the 5-series and E-class, both now have smaller than ever base model engines and both heavily pushing turbocharged 6 cylinders.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
And that is what kills me about lux cars. There is no sound in the world that is worse than a turbo 4 trying to tow along a 4200 lb lux car. Give me my giant V8 that glides along effortlessly anyday please! :)

dmitriylm

Registered Member
The 365 BHP TT V6 has lots of room to grow, even in factory trim. It was tuned for the G90 to harken back to the bi-turbo V8 and V12 S-Class, which accelerated in such a smooth manner that it made you forget there were 510 horses under the hood. In the G90, it hits peak torque of 376 lb-ft at 1,300 RPM and holds it flat until 4,500 RPM.

To put it in perspective, 376 lb-ft is also how much torque the Tau 5.0 V8 put out until the DH came out (And then it was only 7 lb-ft more).

Will you miss it? Maybe the sound, but I can guarantee you the performance won't suffer one bit.

Finally, it's the way that market is heading. Even BMW and MB are shying away from V8s, while they are still available in the 5-series and E-class, both now have smaller than ever base model engines and both heavily pushing turbocharged 6 cylinders.

Yeah I love the sound of a good V8 but the turbocharged 6 won't have any trouble moving these cars.

Registered Member
Restricting the V8 to only the Equus will cut the volume of V8's built by a bunch--------------------making it expensive to manufacture. That would be dumb.

GRIFF

Registered Member
Seems like The Hyundai plan to initially offer under priced Genesis cars to introduce the line and gain upscale recognition and then separate the luxury line and elevate prices is beginning to unfold.. My concern is the extremely limited number of Equus dealers in existence. My local Hyundai dealer in Madison, Wisconsin, who is a very large, multiple location multiple line dealer says they will not set up a separate Equus dealership to carry the Equus line.

I guess time will tell. After driving a V8 for several generations of cars, I doubt I would ever purchase a 6 or 4 cylinder vehicle again.

I also just noticed that Lexus has just come out with V8 In their sedan line.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I guess time will tell. After driving a V8 for several generations of cars, I doubt I would ever purchase a 6 or 4 cylinder vehicle again.
I guess that depends on how old you are, and whether you purchase new or used. Eventually V8's will became scarce.

I also just noticed that Lexus has just come out with V8 In their sedan line.
Lexus has had a V8 for decades in the LX sedan.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
I have not seen anything official on the V8 being dropped for the G80 in 2017. The Genesis Motors web site shows it as an option. I think there could be a possibility that the 2016 could skip it, since it will be a short year for the current Hyundai Genesis.

Either way, the engine combo is already announced for the G90, 3.3L TT V6, and the 5.0L V8.

My bet for the G80 is either
3.8L V6 and 3.3L TT V6,
or..
3.8L V6 and 5.0L V8

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Eventually V8's will became scarce.

That is - word for word - what was said back in the '70's when we had long gas lines and they had cops at the gas stations.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That is - word for word - what was said back in the '70's when we had long gas lines and they had cops at the gas stations.
It's not going to be gas prices this time. It is going to be CO2 emissions and CAFE requirements.

"On July 29, 2011, President Obama announced an agreement with thirteen large automakers to increase fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light-duty trucks by model year 2025. He was joined by Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar/Land Rover, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, and Volvo&#8212;which together account for over 90% of all vehicles sold in the United States&#8212;as well as the United Auto Workers (UAW), and the State of California, who were all participants in the deal. The agreement will result in new CAFE regulations for model year 2017-2025 vehicles which were finalized on August 28, 2012"​
Note that 55 MPG for CAFE is closer to 40 MPG combined city/highway for the EPA rating, but that is still pretty high.

flynblind

Been here awhile...
Looks like starting with the 2017 model year, the only way to obtain a 5.0 V8 will be to purchase a G90 Equus.

6 cylinders only for Genesis.

A disappointment to me, love my 2012 5.0 sedan.

Where is this information coming from?

Copied from the official Genesis web site under the G80:

Drivetrain

3.8L V6 GDI engine with an estimated 311 hp
Rear Wheel Drive
8-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
HTRAC All Wheel Drive
420-hp 5.0L V8 GDI engine

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
It's not going to be gas prices this time. It is going to be CO2 emissions and CAFE requirements.

"On July 29, 2011, President Obama announced an agreement with thirteen large automakers to increase fuel economy to 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light-duty trucks by model year 2025. He was joined by Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar/Land Rover, Kia, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, and Volvo&#8212;which together account for over 90% of all vehicles sold in the United States&#8212;as well as the United Auto Workers (UAW), and the State of California, who were all participants in the deal. The agreement will result in new CAFE regulations for model year 2017-2025 vehicles which were finalized on August 28, 2012"​
Note that 55 MPG for CAFE is closer to 40 MPG combined city/highway for the EPA rating, but that is still pretty high.

But, as usual, the devil is in the details. 54.5 mpg. is a nice number, but is that to be a fleet avg. or across the board??

Makes a big difference in projection of engine profiles.

And, for the record, in the seventies gas line hassles, it wasn't about gas prices. It was all about perceived gas shortages. Everybody was lining up to "top-off" with 2 or 3 gallons, resulting in gas lines and people whacking each other. We actually had price controls for a short time - didn't work, of course.

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
Given the first model year G80 appears to go unchanged from the DH, yes the V8 is still available.

However, I would not be surprised if the following model year it gets replaced with the V6TT.

flynblind

Been here awhile...
Given the first model year G80 appears to go unchanged from the DH, yes the V8 is still available.

However, I would not be surprised if the following model year it gets replaced with the V6TT.

Fair enough. I disagree.

But, to blatantly state that without a doubt there will be no more V8s for the Genesis line???

Come on. OP, please change the heading for this thread to "IMO V8 might be done in a couple of years".

GRIFF

Registered Member
My bad and my apology to all. I thought the G80 was an Equus. I would like to change the thread title, but I can't figure out how to edit the thread line.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Fair enough. I disagree.

But, to blatantly state that without a doubt there will be no more V8s for the Genesis line???

Come on. OP, please change the heading for this thread to "IMO V8 might be done in a couple of years".

As I stated in my prev. post on the subject - the V8's death was widely predicted in the '70's. Didn't happen, ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

As usual, follow the money trail.

Rawhide

Registered Member
New Hampshire
Genesis Model Type
Currently all the attention is going to the new Genesis brand and the launching of the new G90. I wish that Hyundai would go in a different direction for the future G80. IMO the G80 needs a return of the R spec model with a supercharged or turbocharged V8 to keep the excitement going. This could compete with the Cadillac V series. I also have no problem with also providing a turbo V6 as an alternative to the Cadillac V sport series.

Personally, it makes no sense to eliminate the V8. Gas is cheap right now and these cars are really good on fuel economy. There are many SUVs out there that get less than half the MPGs than my current Genesis.

There is no replacement for displacement.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums