• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

No panoramic sunroof option?

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Okay, so I currently own a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 sedan. I have highly considered upgrading to a G80. I know I sound weird, but is there a way to get the ultimate g80 WITHOUT a panoramic sunroof? I know I sound crazy, but I'm not a fan of panoramic sunroofs as I am afraid of them spontaneously breaking and I don't think Hyundai/Kia/Genesis use laminated glass on their sunroofs. I do like traditional sunroofs though. So is there a way I can custom order a G80 ultimate without a panoramic sunroof?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Okay, so I currently own a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 sedan. I have highly considered upgrading to a G80. I know I sound weird, but is there a way to get the ultimate g80 WITHOUT a panoramic sunroof? I know I sound crazy, but I'm not a fan of panoramic sunroofs as I am afraid of them spontaneously breaking and I don't think Hyundai/Kia/Genesis use laminated glass on their sunroofs. I do like traditional sunroofs though. So is there a way I can custom order a G80 ultimate without a panoramic sunroof?
Only comes one way.

You can always line it with duct tape in case it breaks

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Only comes one way.

You can always line it with duct tape in case it breaks
Thanks. I guess my only option at this point is to get the G90 (which probably wouldn't fit in my garage) or to get the sunroof on the g80 tinted and keep the cover closed and to not drive the g80 through a hail storm.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks. I guess my only option at this point is to get the G90 (which probably wouldn't fit in my garage) or to get the sunroof on the g80 tinted and keep the cover closed and to not drive the g80 through a hail storm.
Evidently you didn't like my duct tape idea. How about aluminum siding? Piece of paneling left over from the 1960s?

I keep the cover closed in the summer and I never open the glass. I have no idea if it makes a difference but I'm on my third car with no rattles of squeaks. Not going to worry about shatter.

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My 2017 G80 Base model does not have a sunroof which is why I bought this package. On the 2019 models, go to the Genesis website and compare the packages...Base, Sport, and Ultimate, the Power Tilt and Slide Panoramic Sunroof only appears as a feature on the Ultimate package. At least as far as I can tell. Genesis Website

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My 2017 G80 Base model does not have a sunroof which is why I bought this package. On the 2019 models, go to the Genesis website and compare the packages...Base, Sport, and Ultimate, the Power Tilt and Slide Panoramic Sunroof only appears as a feature on the Ultimate package. At least as far as I can tell. Genesis Website
I see. I just want the traditional sunroof over the front passengers and not spanning over the entire car. Example, the G90 has this (but it probably wouldn't fit in my garage) Anyway you can custom order a Genesis?

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I see. I just want the traditional sunroof over the front passengers and not spanning over the entire car. Example, the G90 has this (but it probably wouldn't fit in my garage) Anyway you can custom order a Genesis?
OK, I didn't understand that's what you meant. I don't know anything about the G90, but if they have the traditional sunroof, then they have it. I've never heard of being able to special order a G80 with this type of modification. That's a question for your dealer.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The G80 base is the ONLY Genesis with out the sun roof . I wanted the ultimate when I got my 2016 and when I got my 2018. Thought about a G90 but it was the same, they all a glass sunroof.

I was not worried about shattering or noise, I only worried about a roll-over crash. Some times it is not a plesent site.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

idlemind

Hasn't posted much yet...
Texas
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I thought that I was the only one that didn't particularly care for the panoramic sunroof. I prefer the traditional sunroof also. For me it's about the aesthetics. When the pano is open it sits on top of the car which IMO looks a little gaudy, and the fact that I have a roof that doesn't match the color of the rest of the car is not to my liking either. With the traditional sunroof, when you want to open it, it slides in between the roof and the headliner. That to me has a much cleaner look, and the roof of the car now matches the rest of the car color. Now for those with a black car, that part is not noticeable.

drumdudeguy

Charlotte NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That's why I bought the 2018 G80 BASE model. Very rare to find a luxury car where you can opt out on the sunroof (since I never open one). And I avoided different size wheels/tires (staggered) on front and back as well. I love the car and saved a lot on the few options I didn't get. I still have all the electronic safety bells and whistles (lane keep assist, etc) that were important to me.

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That's why I bought the 2018 G80 BASE model. Very rare to find a luxury car where you can opt out on the sunroof (since I never open one). And I avoided different size wheels/tires (staggered) on front and back as well. I love the car and saved a lot on the few options I didn't get. I still have all the electronic safety bells and whistles (lane keep assist, etc) that were important to me.
drumdudeguy...I'm with you. We made a good decision. Out Base models have all need...IMO

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I think the difference is that the G80 has the panoramic sunroof while the G90 has the standard (smaller) size sunroof. I think the smaller size is less likely to cause problems.
Yes, thats exactly what I want on the g80 ultimate, the smaller size sunroof.

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I thought that I was the only one that didn't particularly care for the panoramic sunroof. I prefer the traditional sunroof also. For me it's about the aesthetics. When the pano is open it sits on top of the car which IMO looks a little gaudy, and the fact that I have a roof that doesn't match the color of the rest of the car is not to my liking either. With the traditional sunroof, when you want to open it, it slides in between the roof and the headliner. That to me has a much cleaner look, and the roof of the car now matches the rest of the car color. Now for those with a black car, that part is not noticeable.
I though I was the only one too. I like the traditional sunroofs though, just not the panoramic ones spanning all of the roof.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I though I was the only one too. I like the traditional sunroofs though, just not the panoramic ones spanning all of the roof.
As a driver, I rarely look out the roof. It is nice for passengers if you are travelling in an area with tall buildings to see, or hills and mountains.

I opened mine the first day I bought the car to see if it worked, has not been open since. I have it because it comes that way but I'd not pay extra if it was an option.

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
As a driver, I rarely look out the roof. It is nice for passengers if you are travelling in an area with tall buildings to see, or hills and mountains.

I opened mine the first day I bought the car to see if it worked, has not been open since. I have it because it comes that way but I'd not pay extra if it was an option.
Also, I live in texas, so it's miserably hot, so if I have a full panoramic, I have to keep it closed or else it will get way too hot. Also I'm sure some heat still penetrates the thin cover.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Genesis is not a hand made car. You have to stick to what is on the menu. No substitutions, please.
The real problem here is that Genesis is a LOW volume production car. To open the production line up to deleting/adding this and that would be very costly.

According to the NY Times, 40% of ALL cars/truck in 2017 had sun roofs. Subtract the lower priced cars and I'm guessing 80-90% of luxury cars have them.

According to Consumer Reports, one sun roof blows out ONCE a month somewhere in the US. Pretty long odds of it ever happening.

In my view, the only benefit to a sun roof is that it provides more light. I've had my G80 for about 18 months now and I think I've only opened it a couple of times. Makes too much noise when the car is moving IMHO.

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The real problem here is that Genesis is a LOW volume production car. To open the production line up to deleting/adding this and that would be very costly.

According to the NY Times, 40% of ALL cars/truck in 2017 had sun roofs. Subtract the lower priced cars and I'm guessing 80-90% of luxury cars have them.

According to Consumer Reports, one sun roof blows out ONCE a month somewhere in the US. Pretty long odds of it ever happening.

In my view, the only benefit to a sun roof is that it provides more light. I've had my G80 for about 18 months now and I think I've only opened it a couple of times. Makes too much noise when the car is moving IMHO.
About the only time I open my roof is when I do a 10 minute stop at a store for an item and have "Buddy" (8 lb Yorkie) with me in hot weather. We are living in 80 - 90 degree weather these August days here in southern Washington State.