non OEM oil filters for my 2016 Genesis with the 3.8L V6.

Redrazor

Pacheco, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I would love a list of correct oil filter replacements for my 3.8 V6. There is a short one and a long one talked about in this forum. I think the Mobil 1 M1C-255 will work but not sure.(??) I think the OEM part number is 26320-3CKB0.(?)
Hope one of you can help me get the right one . Thanks in advance.:unsure:

Redrazor

Pacheco, CA
Genesis Model Type
I would love a list of correct oil filter replacements for my 3.8 V6. There is a short one and a long one talked about in this forum. I think the Mobil 1 M1C-255 will work but not sure.(??) I think the OEM part number is 26320-3CKB0.(?)
Hope one of you can help me get the right one . Thanks in advance.:unsure:
Update: I got the correct oil filter at the dealer for $12 as related to the full VIN of my car. It's a
Hyundai part # 26320-3CKB0. Watched the whole oil and filter change at my trusted repair shop; and although the OEM filter looked a little different from the one that came out; it fit and worked perfectly. I think the one that was in it was a non-OEM replacement. There are about 4 different sized filters for the different 3.8L V6. Mine is a 2016 Std. Genesis. Good luck with your oil changes.

I suggest using oem filters. Don't risk engine damage to save a few dollars. In the old days of spin on filters there was less of a chance of engine damage. With canister filters they have to provide the correct flow , filtration, and fitment in the canister.

kjc2050

Registered Member
Wake Forest, NC
Genesis Model Type
In principle, I agree with you, particularly if the vehicle is still under warranty. If your engine develops an issue and you've installed an Acme filter, you've provided Hyundai a point they can argue to deny your warranty claim. We purchased our car from CarMax. They did an oil/filter change before our purchase; within 3 days of buying it, the car was at a Hyundai dealer for, you guessed it, an oil change. I just wanted to make sure the proper oil and filter were installed.

That said, automobile, heavy equipment and heavy truck manufacturers make cars and commercial trucks & equipment, not filters. I was VP Marketing for a global filter manufacturer before retiring a few years ago. We manufactured and sold filters under our own brands as well as private labeled filters for other filter companies and OEMs. If you visited one of our plants, you'd see our brands alongside CAT, Deere, WIX, Fleetguard, and many, many other brands.

Hyundai filters are possibly manufactured by Hyundai Mobis, but they are likely provided by an outside filter supplier. Most vehicle manufacturers don't view manufacturing their own filters as economically feasible or necessary.

If a filter manufacturer wants to make an aftermarket equivalent to an OE filter, they have to test the OE filter extensively, and then design and create a filter which meets or exceeds the OE filter's performance. If they don't and there are engine failures attributable to the filter, they'll end up with expensive warranty claims or a lawsuit. (Commercial engines, for instance, are NOT inexpensive.)

All this said, cartridge filters like this are inexpensive. There's no good reason to not buy replacements from your Hyundai dealer. At best you'll save a buck or two. The point of my post was just to help out the OP, who was requesting aftermarket filter numbers.

P.S., spin on or cartridge makes absolutely no difference. The filtration media's efficiency and capacity, along with the integrity of the design and manufacture, are what matter. Sorry for the long post! :)

Vet

Registered Member
Hampton Roads, VA
Genesis Model Type
In principle, I agree with you, particularly if the vehicle is still under warranty. If your engine develops an issue and you've installed an Acme filter, you've provided Hyundai a point they can argue to deny your warranty claim. We purchased our car from CarMax. They did an oil/filter change before our purchase; within 3 days of buying it, the car was at a Hyundai dealer for, you guessed it, an oil change. I just wanted to make sure the proper oil and filter were installed.

That said, automobile, heavy equipment and heavy truck manufacturers make cars and commercial trucks & equipment, not filters. I was VP Marketing for a global filter manufacturer before retiring a few years ago. We manufactured and sold filters under our own brands as well as private labeled filters for other filter companies and OEMs. If you visited one of our plants, you'd see our brands alongside CAT, Deere, WIX, Fleetguard, and many, many other brands.

Hyundai filters are possibly manufactured by Hyundai Mobis, but they are likely provided by an outside filter supplier. Most vehicle manufacturers don't view manufacturing their own filters as economically feasible or necessary.

If a filter manufacturer wants to make an aftermarket equivalent to an OE filter, they have to test the OE filter extensively, and then design and create a filter which meets or exceeds the OE filter's performance. If they don't and there are engine failures attributable to the filter, they'll end up with expensive warranty claims or a lawsuit. (Commercial engines, for instance, are NOT inexpensive.)

All this said, cartridge filters like this are inexpensive. There's no good reason to not buy replacements from your Hyundai dealer. At best you'll save a buck or two. The point of my post was just to help out the OP, who was requesting aftermarket filter numbers.

P.S., spin on or cartridge makes absolutely no difference. The filtration media's efficiency and capacity, along with the integrity of the design and manufacture, are what matter. Sorry for the long post! :)
Great post! I just left a Hyundai service dept asking about this very topic. The oil filter that is on the car was an aftermarket and the one I’m putting on is the Mahle filter from Hyundai. The two filters look different at the top and bottom, the circumference of the openings are different, but it seems that the mahle filter is supposed to stretch over the ring inside of the filter cap for a snug fit. I’ve always changed my own oil and never ran into this so I wanted to play it safe. It’s relieving to know that an aftermarket filter isn’t the beginning of the end. I will be buying mahle from now on, because as you said the price difference is small.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.