Not much love for the 2.0?

Bflogrl

Genesis G70
So, I’ll start off by saying I traded my BMW 428ix for a 2019 G70 2.0 AWD Sport in Casablanca White. I freakin love this car. I have every conceivable option on this car and it’s beautiful to boot. My BMW was sparse on options and there was no way I was going to buy another BMW and pay a ridiculous price for all the options I wanted.

That being said, am I the only one to have purchased the 2.0? My G70 has more hp than my BWM did, so it feels fast to me. I’ll admit, there’s a bit of a lag if you stomp on it from the line, but it’s fine for my needs. I actually find if you don’t stomp on it, but accelerate quickly the lags disappears.

Reading these forums and reviews, I can barely find any reviews for the 2.0. Am I the only one that loves my 2.0?

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis G70
^ definitely more love for the 3.3T, especially with press and enthusiast forums. the fact is that the 3.3T is the real value proposition compared to the German competitors. the idea being a loaded up 3.3T goes against the 2.0T Germans on cost which is crazy, but it is what it is. it's just a more interesting story than a review on yet another 2.0T.

there's plenty of 2.0T owners on here though. but many who opt for the 2.0T are not the same guys who hang out on forums.

i had no choice but to get the 2.0T - my must haves were 6MT and RWD. no manual, no care. i gave up a lot of hp when i took delivery of my 6MT Sport, but it's a great car so no regrets.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
I test drove a 2.0t and it seemed fine to me. Power was good, just the car seemed smaller to me than I liked. Ended up with the G80 but with the smaller engine. Really loved the way the 70 drove, though!

Last edited:

Bflogrl

Genesis G70
^ definitely more love for the 3.3T, especially with press and enthusiast forums. the fact is that the 3.3T is the real value proposition compared to the German competitors. the idea being a loaded up 3.3T goes against the 2.0T Germans on cost which is crazy, but it is what it is. it's just a more interesting story than a review on yet another 2.0T.

there's plenty of 2.0T owners on here though. but many who opt for the 2.0T are not the same guys who hang out on forums.

i had no choice but to get the 2.0T - my must haves were 6MT and RWD. no manual, no care. i gave up a lot of hp when i took delivery of my 6MT Sport, but it's a great car so no regrets.
I never even considered the 3.3T to be honest. I barely drive as it is, and while 3.3T would be awesome it just really wasn’t on my radar.

I really was more concerned about the comfort options, heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start etc.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
The 2.0 is awesome! I drove one as a loaner as my G70 was getting valet service. It's definitely lighter than the 3.3 to where you can even feel it on the road, and I agree that the power is really plenty. If I wasn't unreasonable with my power goals, I totally would have gotten the 2.0 instead. Glad you like it!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
From what I can tell the manual transmission is no longer available for the 2020 G70. I have been wanting to go test drive one but none are in my area as of my last inquiry.
Incorrect...6MT is available for 2020.

It’s right there on the build site.

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
Rock Spring, GA
You are correct. And that is good!
I didn't see it at first visit but I just went back and checked. I didn't realize that I had to click on "compare trims" to find it. Why is the manual $3,000 more than the auto?

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis G70
My previous car was a Volvo with 227 HP and 100+ pounds more weight so the 2 litre was sharp and responsive for my test drive. At my stage of life the "excess for its own sake" factor has diminished.
I can get into (and out of) plenty of trouble with the HP I now have.
The safety and convenience and comfort features were the selling point, and it had to fit into my garage.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
Hoosier, I hear ya, I'm 6' tall and have aches and pains, and I'm at the age where I seem to be the designated driver for the elders (80's & 90's) in my life so I needed the extra room the G80 offers. But I absolutely love the G70 and follow it like I own one.

I bought the Genesis brand for the features, quality, comfort, warranty, and look - not the power. And yes, bought the base model. It's still "loaded" compared to my Infiniti that had the "Premium" package. Had I bought the G70, it would have been the 2.0t.

Regarding power... my prior car was a 5 second car, a G37. The G70 with the 3.3t is a 4 second car, the 2.0t is a 6. I was willing to lose a second going to the G80 base engine, like you, I'm past the point where the power is the #1 selling item.

Genesis Motors 0-60 Times & Quarter Mile Times | Genesis G70, G80, G90 Luxury Cars & More 0 to 60 stats!

Thirty-five years ago, my 1981 Honda Civic did 0-60 in 15 seconds! And I honestly thought it was fast (off the line). Top speed was 86 mph.

JB08

G70 2.0 Sport
Oakville, ON
Genesis G70
No real choice for me, since I couldn't get the 3.3 with the manual. The 3.3T is fast, no doubt about it. But I found the body lean at speed in the corners a bit too high and the front end too heavy for a car with that much horsepower; the 3.3 is a great engine but it also reveals the chassis is not quite tuned to the same high standards. Still, were it offered with a manual it would have made my choice much tougher. The 2.0 is more than enough for city driving and commuting, so it fits my needs. I will admit to being a bit envious of the 3.3's power off the line, that really is the only time I feel the 2.0 is slow. Otherwise, it has plenty of mid range power and on the highway the turbo boost is fairly quick, so I don't feel any lack of responsiveness. Also I'm fortunate to have a dedicated speed machine in my C7 Vette, so if I feel the need for speed, I have an outlet.
Now that I've had my G70 for about 6 months, I have really come to appreciate the 2.0 in everyday city driving. If you want a powerful fast car and the G70 is your one car, go for the 3.3, plenty to leave a smile on your face. If you need something nimble and quick darting in and out of corners and traffic as your daily driver, the 2.0 is more than enough.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I'm with a couple of others on here in that I would not have considered the G70 without the manual transmission. Although that is what sold me on it, there are a number of other things that I like, and one of them is the 2.0T engine.

I experienced the Malaise Era (not sure that deserves to be capitalized) cars of the 1970s and 80s. Getting only 70 or 80 horsepower out of a 4 cylinder was common, and 100 hp or more was rare. We are spoiled to live during a time where every 4 cylinder gets more than 200 hp and many are producing more than 300 hp. Like others, I don't feel that the 2.0T is underpowered -- it's not -- but the power delivery is not as linear as I'd like. I find it surprisingly balanced and smooth; probably more so than any 4 cylinder I've driven. My Sport 6MT comes with the sport exhaust and, even though it's not as loud as some would like, it produces a great sound.

The thing I like best about the 2.0T? Its simplicity and extra room in the engine bay. If I ever need to have work done on this engine, it won't be as complicated and expensive as on the 3.3TT. Even I can do a fair amount of the work myself.

The thing I like the least? Relatively poor fuel efficiency for a 4 cylinder. Close behind that: non-linear power delivery. I think the latter is more throttle mapping than engine mechanics.

I posted my initial reactions here: Joined the Club - 2.0t Sport M/T, and I will probably post an update to that soon.

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis G70
I love my 2.0! For me it's not about how fast my car is from 0 to 60. It's about how athletic it is on my favorite curvy backroads. My G70 doesn't FEEL slow when it's making me grin from ear to ear.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So, I’ll start off by saying I traded my BMW 428ix for a 2019 G70 2.0 AWD Sport in Casablanca White. I freakin love this car. I have every conceivable option on this car and it’s beautiful to boot. My BMW was sparse on options and there was no way I was going to buy another BMW and pay a ridiculous price for all the options I wanted.

That being said, am I the only one to have purchased the 2.0? My G70 has more hp than my BWM did, so it feels fast to me. I’ll admit, there’s a bit of a lag if you stomp on it from the line, but it’s fine for my needs. I actually find if you don’t stomp on it, but accelerate quickly the lags disappears.

Reading these forums and reviews, I can barely find any reviews for the 2.0. Am I the only one that loves my 2.0?
I am sure the 2.0T engine is fine to own. However, in my opinion most buyers who brag on forums usually want the bigger engine for bragging rights. Also, the 3.3T can compete against the more high end sport models like the BMW M3 especially when tuned.

However, the 2.0T is still very quick for a sedan. I believe it can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds which still fairly quick.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis G70
I have the 2.0, also. I preferred the better MPG over the power. Higher MPG is usable every day but I don't always need all the extra power.

I'm looking forward to the 2.5. The better MPG AND more power! Bring it.

I was planning on buying my G70 at the end of the lease but with the 2.5 coming I might reconsider....

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums