Not sure what this sound is... :(

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Only happens during first startup of the day.
It's been happening for about a week now and I finally managed to get it on video. Sorry for vertical format.

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 3.3T engine has solid lifters and (I think) flat tappets. These are know to be noisy at start-up. Mine is noisy too, and others have said the same. Here's a link that explains the different kinds of lifters:

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don’t think this is the normal lifter/fuel pump noise. Does anyone else not hear that whirring sound that lasted for about a second in his clip? Mine doesn’t do that. I have lifter noise for 30 seconds until idle comes down, but this video doesn’t seem to be showing that

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really don't believe it's the lifter. I could be wrong so please educate me if so.
But seems like @joschneider is hearing what I'm referring to. It's that 1-2 seconds of whirring/rattling sound. I can't even correctly describe it in words, hence the video.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My guess: loose/misaligned belt? Open the hood during startup and look around for anything weird. With this sound I’d take it into the dealer and make them sit on it overnight so they can work on it in the morning and hear the issue for themselves

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My guess: loose/misaligned belt? Open the hood during startup and look around for anything weird. With this sound I’d take it into the dealer and make them sit on it overnight so they can work on it in the morning and hear the issue for themselves
I'll take a look under the hood next time I'm in my car. Usually doesn't happen throughout the day, only the very first cold start of the morning. Definitely will take it to the dealer with this video and see where that gets me...

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update: belt looked good, fluid levels were good, and no obvious leaks anywhere.
Took it to a local dealership w/o appointment and played the clip to a service rep (why is it always so hard to speak directly to a mechanic?). Was told with 20k miles on the vehicle and hot temperature, sound is normal for hyundai/genesis (WTF lol). Made an appointment for next week though so they can keep it over night and hear it themselves + "fix" sunroof rattle that's been plaguing a lot of us here.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you have a 2.0 or the 3.3? Worst case scenario rod bearings? once the oil pressure is up it stops?
Speculating. Hopfully this is something minor.
The Theta 2 has had a bad rep in the past. :(

Last edited:

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you have a 2.0 or the 3.3? Worst case scenario rod bearings? once the oil pressure is up it stops?
Speculating. Hopfully this is something minor.
The Theta 2 has had a bad rep in the past. :(
I have a 2.0. Wonder if this issue is exclusive to theta2

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Maybe...let them (dealer) diagnose it and let us know if it is indeed rod knock or something else.
I am not impressed with the 2.0 engine. I have some bizarre issues going on.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update: belt looked good, fluid levels were good, and no obvious leaks anywhere.
Took it to a local dealership w/o appointment and played the clip to a service rep (why is it always so hard to speak directly to a mechanic?). Was told with 20k miles on the vehicle and hot temperature, sound is normal for hyundai/genesis (WTF lol). Made an appointment for next week though so they can keep it over night and hear it themselves + "fix" sunroof rattle that's been plaguing a lot of us here.

I have the same startup noise on my 3.3T that lasts for like a second, and then I don't hear it for the rest of the day. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If there's an actual issue just use the 10 year powertrain warranty.

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got the car back today after 3 days and apparently they were never able to hear the noise. Figures...
Oh well I guess I keep being annoyed by it until the car explodes.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 3.3 g80 makes the same noise, I’ve traced it down to the fuel injectors on a cold startup (car sitting for several hours)

it can be plainly heard with a stethoscope placed on the fuel rail. Blipping the throttle on mine seems to clear it, or waiting 20-30 seconds as the motor warms up.

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My 3.3 g80 makes the same noise, I’ve traced it down to the fuel injectors on a cold startup (car sitting for several hours)

it can be plainly heard with a stethoscope placed on the fuel rail. Blipping the throttle on mine seems to clear it, or waiting 20-30 seconds as the motor warms up.
Is this something that can cause a problem later down the road?

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Only happens during first startup of the day.
It's been happening for about a week now and I finally managed to get it on video. Sorry for vertical format.
Me too! I noticed that yesterday morning when I started my 2-week old G70 3.3T, I was freaking! Loud tapping, sounded like valve clatter. Shut off immediately and lifted the hood, restarted with my ear in the engine compartment - sound was coming from the left/driver side bank, sounded like the middle cylinder. Very disturbing. Made multiple stops, car sat for a few hrs then restarted throughout the day, the sound never came back after the car warmed up after that first AM start. I'll definitely be listening tomorrow AM when I fire it up after an overnight sleep....

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'll take a look under the hood next time I'm in my car. Usually doesn't happen throughout the day, only the very first cold start of the morning. Definitely will take it to the dealer with this video and see where that gets me...
It's definitely a valve noise. I've owned and worked on ALOT of cars, and I know a valve noise when I hear it.....

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

It's a valve noise.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums