Not sure what this sound is... :(

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is this something that can cause a problem later down the road?
Most definitely something that, if it continues or gets worse, could be bad/damaging for the engine. It was VERY disturbing to hear valve clatter from the middle cylinder of my 2-week old 3.3T upon my 1st cold start of the day. And it wasn't even "cold" this AM, about 56 degrees or so. I'm so glad to see this post and this thread, so I realize I'm NOT the only one who has this! Long-term this can't be good, but then again, that's why God invented 10-yr powertrain warranties...!

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really don't believe it's the lifter. I could be wrong so please educate me if so.
But seems like @joschneider is hearing what I'm referring to. It's that 1-2 seconds of whirring/rattling sound. I can't even correctly describe it in words, hence the video.
There are no lifters in a 3.3T Lambda II engine, it has double overhead camshafts, the cam lobes push down directly onto solid "buckets" to actuate the valves. I assume they're adjusted by shimming (as I used to have on my Kawasaki 900 DOHC engine) or a turn-type adjuster, but I don't know for sure. Essentially the same as solid lifters in a pushrod valve-actuated engine (altho those are adjusted via the rocker arms). I describe this noise as "clattering" or "valve clatter". In the 3.3L T-GDI Lambda II engine (labeled as G6DP) the valves need to be adjusted at 60,000 mile intervals. One thing for sure - mine was tapping pretty loudly in the center of the driver side bank of cylinders this morning - or maybe that was yesterday AM, can't remember....

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are no lifters in a 3.3T Lambda II engine, it has double overhead camshafts, the cam lobes push down directly onto solid "buckets" to actuate the valves. I assume they're adjusted by shimming (as I used to have on my Kawasaki 900 DOHC engine) or a turn-type adjuster, but I don't know for sure. Essentially the same as solid lifters in a pushrod valve-actuated engine (altho those are adjusted via the rocker arms). I describe this noise as "clattering" or "valve clatter". In the 3.3L T-GDI Lambda II engine (labeled as G6DP) the valves need to be adjusted at 60,000 mile intervals. One thing for sure - mine was tapping pretty loudly in the center of the driver side bank of cylinders this morning - or maybe that was yesterday AM, can't remember....

They are solid buckets, shimmed to adjust the valve clearance.

The sound you're referring to is the high pressure fuel pump. It's a cam driven pump, so you're hearing the lobes slap on the pump actuator very loudly upon cold start. That said, it sounds VERY similar to valve tap. When I first got mine, I swore up and down it was due to loose valve clearances from the factory. But after hearing several other G70's that sound EXACTLY the same, in the exact same location, and studying up on the FSM, it's definitely the HPFP.

It's noisy and unsettling. But it's normal.

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks, rmod! My buddy and I were talking about this over dinner last evening, and that's exactly what he thought about it too - just like you, he suggested that it’s the variable valve timing actuator that’s making the noise on cold starts, until it’s properly pressurized w/oil.....

So while it sounds to me like a valves / valveS tapping (which I described more as "clattering") it's actually the VVT system making that clatter - it makes perfect sense, I had NOT thought about that! Thanks again.... mw

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They are solid buckets, shimmed to adjust the valve clearance.

The sound you're referring to is the high pressure fuel pump. It's a cam driven pump, so you're hearing the lobes slap on the pump actuator very loudly upon cold start. That said, it sounds VERY similar to valve tap. When I first got mine, I swore up and down it was due to loose valve clearances from the factory. But after hearing several other G70's that sound EXACTLY the same, in the exact same location, and studying up on the FSM, it's definitely the HPFP.

It's noisy and unsettling. But it's normal.
Thanks, Toddasaurus - that makes sense. And yeah, I knew that the valves were cam-on-solid-bucket configuration, because that's exactly how I used to adjust the valves on my DOHC Kawasaki 900's - with different thicknesses of shims and a wide feeler gauge. So between your analysis here and rmod's comment, the mystery has now been solved! Yay. Keeping in mind that I'm only a 3.3T owner for two weeks as of tomorrow, and never owned a vehicle with CVVT before, so to me, it sounded just like a valve or valves that were WAY out of whack! But you saying, ["That said, it sounds VERY similar to valve tap. When I first got mine, I swore up and down it was due to loose valve clearances from the factory."] makes me feel like NOT so much of a dumb-ass! And I'm sorry if I came across as being all "Mr know-it-all" in my comments - I'll learn.

And it's nice to see you agree with me also that it IS VERY unnerving, and for sure, a very noisy occurrence that I'm just not used to upon starting up a vehicle, especially a brand new car like my Genesis G70 (which I love, BTW).....

Old G70 Guy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And just one more comment about this: I see that someone (I believe it was brianong18 above, maybe someone else too) mentioned the noise "going away quickly", but that's not the case with my car. I timed it during my first cold start of yesterday morning, popped the hood before starting the car, then stood there with my head in the engine compartment for the first few minutes the engine was running, timed it on my watch. It took a full minute and 50 seconds to go away completely. As the revs started to come down after the 1st 35-45 seconds it progressively quieted a little at time, but 1' 50" to diminish to the point that it sounded to me like just normal engine noises.....

NeedSpeed

Long Island NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks you guys!!! I noticed a little ticking or tapping noise coming from the drivers side right where the high pressure fuel pump is, so before I freaked out I went on the forms and found this post describing what I’m experiencing. So now I feel a little better!

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And just one more comment about this: I see that someone (I believe it was brianong18 above, maybe someone else too) mentioned the noise "going away quickly", but that's not the case with my car. I timed it during my first cold start of yesterday morning, popped the hood before starting the car, then stood there with my head in the engine compartment for the first few minutes the engine was running, timed it on my watch. It took a full minute and 50 seconds to go away completely. As the revs started to come down after the 1st 35-45 seconds it progressively quieted a little at time, but 1' 50" to diminish to the point that it sounded to me like just normal engine noises.....
Yup, I got the same rattle / ticking sound. Mine is about the same amount of time. Basically once idle rpms go down after startup it goes away. I'd say about a minute (never timed it like you). So you're not the only one that the sound lasts for a bit.

I'm just glad that it's a 'normal' thing.

twister

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm pretty sure my is doing the same thing, and I had similar noises when starting my Infiniti 3.0 V6 TT engine also (never had any issues and I drove that pretty hard for 30,000 miles)

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums