Now that "Genesis" is its own brand - how do WE grow from here?

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So what would you all like to see in regards to how we proceed from this point on? The Hyundai Equus will be called Genesis G90. The Hyundai Genesis Sedan will be called Genesis G80. A new midsize model will be named Genesis G70 and the Genesis Coupe will be named Genesis G60.

Should these new models be blended in with the current models or should we separate them? I mean - I'm pretty sure the new G80 is going to be very similar to the Genesis Sedan. No? Maybe a little different? The Equus is supposed to be here next month (new model altogether). Perhaps "Genesis" will be a one brand model until the midcycle refresh of the Genesis Sedan. Or perhaps this new midsizer will launch earlier than we've been suspecting...

In any event - we need to figure out the best way to grow from here. So I hope you'll take a few minutes to share how you envision the Genesis Owners Group moving forward...

Thank you!

MathWiz

Registered Member
San Diego, Ca
Re: Now that "Genesis" is it's own brand - how do WE grow from here?

Other Marques have changed naming conventions of their line up mid model life-cycle, Infiniti recently changed theirs going to a similar plan that Genesis has with all models being designated with a Q and number.

I would expect that starting in December, the current sedan will be re-designated as the G80, with the current 3.8 or 5.0 emblems continuing to be used somewhere on the car.

This was always the plan, it has just been delayed a few years, now if I can just get my wife to refer to the car as Genesis when admiring people ask, I will have won a small victory.

For how we adapt at GenesisOwners, I believe we should adopt the same naming conventions and refer to 2009-2014 Sedan (BH) as G80 Gen 1 and the 2015 (DH) and on as the G80 Gen 2 and to the Coupe (BK) as G60 Gen 1

Just my thoughts.

Charles

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

When does this actually take effect in the USA? I suspect it will not happen until 2017 models are released.

LandoAWD

Registered Member

Wait until the models, or at least the specs, are released before deciding. In the mean time, lets try to keep the number of threads about this down with consolidation. I count FOUR currently. :p

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type

I believe we should adopt the same naming conventions and refer to 2009-2014 Sedan (BH) as G80 Gen 1 and the 2015 (DH) and on as the G80 Gen 2 and to the Coupe (BK) as G60 Gen 1

That could work.

When does this actually take effect in the USA? I suspect it will not happen until 2017 models are released.

They're showing us the 2017 G90 (Equus) in December and the 2016 Equus just recently went on sale so I imagine vehicles from the new Genesis brand will go on sale later next year.

Wait until the models, or at least the specs, are released before deciding. In the mean time, lets try to keep the number of threads about this down with consolidation. I count FOUR currently. :p

Yeah, I'd like to see one consolidated discussion for the new Genesis brand.

LandoAWD

Registered Member

That could work.
Doesn't adequately speak to BK1/BK2 or any differences that may happen with G60s and G80s, though.

I think the drivetrain/platform should be evaluated for similarities before making the jump.

(please correct title to "its", BTdubs ;) )

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL

For how we adapt at GenesisOwners, I believe we should adopt the same naming conventions and refer to 2009-2014 Sedan (BH) as G80 Gen 1 and the 2015 (DH) and on as the G80 Gen 2 and to the Coupe (BK) as G60 Gen 1

What's the BH, DH and BK stand for??

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
This will spawn a de-badging fury. Can't wait to see '15 owners scraping off their devalued emblems. Wish I had the new badge concession.

dmitriylm

Registered Member

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

What's the BH, DH and BK stand for??
Nothing meaningful. Every Hyundai model has a 2-letter code. BH was the first generation 2009-2014 Genesis sedan. In Korea, the actual nameplates were Genesis BH380 and BH500 for the V6 and V8 respectively (and BH460 when the V8 was a 4.6L). Looks like Hyundai will be using the "Infiniti" method of naming Genesis models, but use a G instead of Q. As already noted, the Equus will be come a Genesis.

goochylittlepig

Registered Member
Raleigh, NC
I am reading conflicting things in regards to the 2016 Genesis. Is it likely or even possible that the dealers will be rebadging them starting this December? I'm almost wondering if this wasn't part of the reason for them being held at port.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am reading conflicting things in regards to the 2016 Genesis. Is it likely or even possible that the dealers will be rebadging them starting this December? I'm almost wondering if this wasn't part of the reason for them being held at port.
The 2016 Genesis sedan is already up on the Hyundai USA webpage, and is shipping to dealers (some have arrived). It was held at port to clear out the 2015's.

goochylittlepig

Registered Member
Raleigh, NC
The 2016 Genesis sedan is already up on the Hyundai USA webpage, and is shipping to dealers (some have arrived). It was held at port to clear out the 2015's.

I realize they say they were at port for that reason, and I'm sure that's (at least mostly) true. But now this thought crossed my mind.

As far as the website, just because it is up on there doesn't mean they won't rebrand it in a few months. I'm just curious if there will be a voluntary campaign to rebadge the 2015 or 2016, similar to the tire replacement. With the tires they started making later production 2015s with the new tires. Not impossible they will do the same with the badge. I'm trying to see if there is a consensus on this at all, since I've been reading conflicting info.

MathWiz

Registered Member
San Diego, Ca

That's the great thing about the Internet, a page can change at anytime, and Hyundai may have shipped them without badges.

I would bet that the Genesis logo will be the 2015 wing

I was looking for a logo yesterday and came across this

Less chrome maybe

Charles

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
The first car with the "new" Genesis badge will be the redesigned Equus / 2017 Genesis G90. I'm quite confident the 2016 Hyundai Genesis Sedan will be badged the same as the 2015. The 2017 Genesis G80 (the current Hyundai Genesis Sedan) will have a lightly updated design inside and out and host the new Genesis badge...

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
As far as the website, just because it is up on there doesn't mean they won't rebrand it in a few months. I'm just curious if there will be a voluntary campaign to rebadge the 2015 or 2016, similar to the tire replacement. With the tires they started making later production 2015s with the new tires. Not impossible they will do the same with the badge. I'm trying to see if there is a consensus on this at all, since I've been reading conflicting info.
Until I checked your location info, for a moment I was sure you must be from Colorado or Oregon.

The Genesis brand in the USA starts with 2017 models in the fall of 2016.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That's the great thing about the Internet, a page can change at anytime, and Hyundai may have shipped them without badges.
The "Internet" has pics of the 2016 Hyundai Genesis with the existing badging, and it will remain a Hyundai Genesis until the 2017 model is released (probably sometime in 2016). They cannot change brands in the middle of model year, but they could release the 2017 Genesis brand in January 2016 (but not likely IMO).

I would bet that the Genesis logo will be the 2015 wing
How much? I think that it will be a different logo (but similar) and I all-in for whatever you got.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums