October 2018 Sales

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hyundai just released the sales numbers for October. The G80 sales continue to tank (still not many 2019s available) but the G70 sold more units than what appeared to be selling from the dealers' site. I guess there could be fleet sales in there,

Hyundai Motor America Reports October 2018 Sales

Attachments

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Lol she doesn't have to go with you. Just go pick it up and drive home.
I did that with our Acura and she actually liked the gold color. This one I want to have her involved as we are leaning towards the red or blue. She is an artist and knows colors, me, not so much. LOL. The other car we are considering is the new A6 but Audi’s colors are not so great. I like the one gray but she is not a fan. I have a roadtrip to AZ I planned out the other week, maybe we will take it when the AZ dealers get cars which should be very soon.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I did that with our Acura and she actually liked the gold color. This one I want to have her involved as we are leaning towards the red or blue. She is an artist and knows colors, me, not so much. LOL. The other car we are considering is the new A6 but Audi’s colors are not so great. I like the one gray but she is not a fan. I have a roadtrip to AZ I planned out the other week, maybe we will take it when the AZ dealers get cars which should be very soon.
Ah ok lol. That makes sense.

AnyVare

Hasn't posted much yet...
VA
Curious, do we believe the press release from Hyundai or the article on LeftLaneNews link: LeftLaneNews

According to their article, Genesis sales in Oct were down 79% with only 372 cars sold and their 2018 YTD sales are down 45% with 9,281 cars sold. This does not reflect a successful attempt at creating an up brand market (yet?). The G70 might be a great car, but these numbers are abysmal. To me (IMO) these numbers reflect the potential for seriously HUGE discounts on Genesis cars OR a looming Chapter 11 for a failed separation plan.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Curious, do we believe the press release from Hyundai or the article on LeftLaneNews link: LeftLaneNews

According to their article, Genesis sales in Oct were down 79% with only 372 cars sold and their 2018 YTD sales are down 45% with 9,281 cars sold.
I'm not following, those are the same numbers that Hyundai reported for Genesis.

AnyVare

VA
I'm not following, those are the same numbers that Hyundai reported for Genesis.
Corporate press releases always have a positive spin, and don't always reflect the truth. When you look at the numbers across the industry, Genesis is 2nd worse only to Smart!

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Corporate press releases always have a positive spin, and don't always reflect the truth. When you look at the numbers across the industry, Genesis is 2nd worse only to Smart!
I don't think it is worthwhile to try and compare Genesis' current numbers to either past performance or the industry. They are currently only operating to some extent in 12 states. I think until that changes you can't draw any valid conclusions from the overall sales data.

Edit: The 12 states would be under the new franchise model.. Sales of any 2018s and prior are counted as Genesis sales.

AnyVare

VA
I don't think it is worthwhile to try and compare Genesis' current numbers to either past performance or the industry. They are currently only operating to some extent in 12 states. I think until that changes you can't draw any valid conclusions from the overall sales data.

Edit: The 12 states would be under the new franchise model.. Sales of any 2018s and prior are counted as Genesis sales.
That's a fair point, the dealer network issues are certainly impacting their numbers.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Genesis sales will suffer as long as its 3 largest markets (FL, TX and CA) have limited # or are devoid of dealerships.

Canada sales:

G70 - 96
Stinger - 115

Q50 - 173
IS - 289

Korea sales:

G80 - 3,411
G70 - 1,406
EQ900 -309

K9 - 1,220
Stinger - 438

G80 continues to sell well despite its age.
G70 increasing the gap btwn it and the Stinger.

EQ900 sales should recover once the facelifted model launches.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Since the launch of the brand, Genesis has sold a cumulative 206,882 vehicles worldwide thru Oct.

2015 - 555 (all EQ900 in Korea/end of year launch)

2016 - 58,916

2017 - 78,889

Thru Oct. of 2018 - 68,522

G80 - 127,283
G90 - 52,417
G70 - 27,182

Sales would have been a good bit better for the 1st 10 months of this year but for the dealer network fiasco in the US and the limiting direct-from-the-manufacturer sales approach in Canada (as well as the delay in the Australian launch).

By the end of its life-cycle, the G90 should be closing in around 100k in sales (which warrants continued investment).

Don't think Lexus will see sales of the LS 500 approach that mark as US sales have fallen sharply and the LS (as do most Lexus models) don't sell particularly well in Japan.

Domestic-branded lux sedan sales in Japan are dominated by the Toyota Crown series.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.