OEM brake pad and rotor or aftermarket

Trumsodo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
so my beloved 2018 g80 sport has been machine once at 15k km and now at 50k km, it comes back with vibration, pulls to one sight and roar when brake. Thus, I am thinking I may need to buy a new set of rotors and pads instead of waste money on machine rotors. OEM rotors are not bad for price in Canada, both front and rear is about 450 icl tax, but OEM pad is ridiculous expensive like 200+ tax for front 110 + tax for the rear. Total bill OEM is $850 CAD.
Hence, I am looking for an aftermarket brake pad such as Akebono or EBC, but many people complain how dusty EBC yellow stuff and they not cheap at all. Also, i cant find a decent brand for the rear brake pad. Front is fine with Akebono proact at $70 or EBC yellow at $150.
Any suggest guys?

Trumsodo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I replaced the OEM brake pads with Akebono ProAct and am very happy with them on my 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8.
is there any problem with the stopping power? ( like less than OEM ), also i heard that in cold weather Proact is not so good

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Does anyone know if the oem G80 sport brake pads are ceramic or not?

Trumsodo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
oem sport brake pad is ceramic made by big tiger auto,
btw i get dealer change the rotors for free and paid the oem pad for $300 cad

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
oem sport brake pad is ceramic made by big tiger auto,
btw i get dealer change the rotors for free and paid the oem pad for $300 cad
Isn't Big Tiger a parts distributor not a manufacturer?

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I just put on brake pads all the way around. I used Duralast Gold in the front and Duralast Elite in the rear. Both are ceramic available from the Zone. I have used these on probably 100's of vehicles over the decades and never an issue.
The oem pads I took off were 40% worn(21,000 mi) but I was shocked to see how poor the condition of the backside of the pads were, more corrosion than expexted and the shims fell apart, rotors looked good tho. New pads stop great. The oem pads felt like a slightly warped rotor but the rotors were changed under warranty and didn't improve braking. Glad I changed them, cheap upgrade in my opinion.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums