OEM Car cover is over $300--BANANAS

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Hyundai selling the equus cover for over $300......wow....that sh8t cra!!!! I'm in a townhouse now and the boss gets the one car garage....anyone have experience with outdoor car cover?

Hueydriver

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My concern with car covers is that if the car is dirty, it may scratch the paint as you put it on or removing it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My concern with car covers is that if the car is dirty, it may scratch the paint as you put it on or removing it.
Even starting with a clean car, now you have a dust laden cover to deal with or a rain soaked one or snow covered one. I can see it if the car is going to be parked for weeks, but for a daily driver, it would be a huge hassle to take it off, fold and store, then replace when you get back from the liquor store. Especially if you have to use the car in the rain.

As for the price, it is about right for a branded item from the brand source. Always high. I'd put that money into a good wax job at a detailer or do it myself.

Hueydriver

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Even starting with a clean car, now you have a dust laden cover to deal with or a rain soaked one or snow covered one. I can see it if the car is going to be parked for weeks, but for a daily driver, it would be a huge hassle to take it off, fold and store, then replace when you get back from the liquor store. Especially if you have to use the car in the rain.

As for the price, it is about right for a branded item from the brand source. Always high. I'd put that money into a good wax job at a detailer or do it myself.
Absolutely right!

jetrep

Registered Member
Southern NV
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What would you expect to pay for a quality cover (assuming it's of nice quality)? Price seems fairly reasonable to me.

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
#1 rated cover according to multiple sites costs about $190. Sun damage and snow removal are my biggest issues. NJ is getting hit hard this year and I already broke the shark antenna once for $500, luckily Hyundai paid half or else it would have been a grandy....
Please no one respond by saying, "well buy the one for $190 then...." I obviously can do that.... :cool:

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
#1 rated cover according to multiple sites costs about $190. Sun damage and snow removal are my biggest issues. NJ is getting hit hard this year and I already broke the shark antenna once for $500, luckily Hyundai paid half or else it would have been a grandy....
Please no one respond by saying, "well buy the one for $190 then...." I obviously can do that.... :cool:

Lol! You know it was coming.

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
There are covers and there are proper covers. I have a very expensive custom cover for my '39 Ford made by California car covers. $700 10 years ago, over $1,000 today. completely UV, water, and dust proof. has been on the car for 10+ years. the paint doesn't have a scratch on it. the cover is made with microfiber on the inside, a plastic center and a UV and waterproof canvas on the outside.

doesn't scratch the paint, water doesn't get through or absorbed, and it hasn't faded, cracked or even looks weathered after sitting outside for 10 plus years. The car is covered by a "car port" but it is still exposed to the elements.

it's easy to clean as I can hose it off while on the car, so I don't have to deal with taking it off dusty or dirty, and it dries within minutes as the water just beads and runs off. it doesn't get absorbed.

there are covers then there are proper covers. if you want to protect your investment then you spend the dough to do so.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It might make sense to cover a car for extended storage outdoors, but it makes little sense to put one on and take it off daily. It wouldn’t be long before I’d be asking my wife to use her car instead of laboring with my car’s cover. Of course, then the little woman would reply, “You dummy, why did you buy that expensive rag?”

That’s my 2¢.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It might make sense to cover a car for extended storage outdoors, but it makes little sense to put one on and take it off daily. It wouldn’t be long before I’d be asking my wife to use her car instead of laboring with my car’s cover. Of course, then the little woman would reply, “You dummy, why did you buy that expensive rag?”

That’s my 2¢.

I did it daily (twice a day) for my G80. Don’t have one for the Palisades yet, But in all honesty it takes under 2 minutes to remove of put it on. Same with my Camaro and my RCF, always keep them covered when parked. At home or at work, when I know they will be parked for the majority of the day. If I am coming and going I don’t bother.

At work I park outside facing the sun all day right off a busy semi truck route, Without the cover my G80 was covered in crap every day from the dust and nonsense the trucks churn up, not to mention the 2 freight rail roads on the other side of the building and the damn birds that sit on the edge of the building and crap on everything below.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I did it daily (twice a day) for my G80. Don’t have one for the Palisades yet, But in all honesty it takes under 2 minutes to remove of put it on. Same with my Camaro and my RCF, always keep them covered when parked. At home or at work, when I know they will be parked for the majority of the day. If I am coming and going I don’t bother.

At work I park outside facing the sun all day right off a busy semi truck route, Without the cover my G80 was covered in crap every day from the dust and nonsense the trucks churn up, not to mention the 2 freight rail roads on the other side of the building and the damn birds that sit on the edge of the building and crap on everything below.
Yes, but the car cover gets covered with crap instead of the car. Besides, it can’t be much fun to leave home in the AM in a driving rain, etc.

Perhaps since you lease you find it necessary to cover your car. That’s your choice, of course. I’d have to be beaten with a stick to cover my car every day with one.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, but the car cover gets covered with crap instead of the car. Besides, it can’t be much fun to leave home in the AM in a driving rain, etc.

Perhaps since you lease you find it necessary to cover your car. That’s your choice, of course. I’d have to be beaten with a stick to cover my car every day with one.
car cover is easy to clean. not a big deal, it got hosed off every weekend when the detailer came and washed my vehicles and solar panels. he would hose it down and lay it on the lawn to dry, as it was water proof the water just ran off of it. most things don't stick to it, except the bird crap, which sometimes requires a scrub brush to remove, better the cover than my paint.

doesn't matter if was leased or owned, I will have one for the Palisades soon. Just the way I am, I believe in protecting my investment. My '39 was built and painted in 1995, the paint still has that newly painted "wet" look. its covered and protected at all times. no sun fade, no water spots, etc.

I don't cover the daily driver if I know it is going to rain, the weather alerting systems today are fairly accurate so one typically knows. but I live in SoCal, never rains here anyway..

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

What cover do you use? I don't think it's a big deal to cover and uncover either.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums