Oil Catch Can Installation

GV70-PA

Our other car is from Ulsan too
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Over the weekend I installed an oil catch can on the GV70. I bought a Saikou-Michi catch can from Tucson, Arizona. These are made to order. I had one on my Genesis Coupe and I have one on my Veloster N. You can customize fittings, nipple sizes and even the finish as part of the cost. I ordered a basic brushed aluminum OCC with 3/8" fittings. I prefer the smaller fittings because the 3/8" gasoline hose is easier to route and work with. What I discovered on the 3.5T is the vacuum line from the manifold was 3/4" and the PCV line was 1/2". After all is said and done I should have ordered the can with 1/2" fittings. I used a 5/8" gasoline line from the manifold. I have a tubing expander tool then reduced it to 3/8". So higher velocity when it hits the can. From the PCV I used 1/2" reduced to 3/8". Given the direction of the nipples on the engine I had to run the vacuum input line around the air cleaner. I was able to bend the line from the PCV without any problem. The can is located next to the fuse box located on the passenger-side front engine bay. This seemed to be the best location because you want these placed in as cool a part of the engine bay as possible. Given this is a GDI engine I consider these a must to reduce build-up on the intake valves. I have found with my four bangers that I empty these at each oil change. I will monitor this more closely given the increased size of the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 26

Crider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Over the weekend I installed an oil catch can on the GV70. I bought a Saikou-Michi catch can from Tucson, Arizona. These are made to order. I had one on my Genesis Coupe and I have one on my Veloster N. You can customize fittings, nipple sizes and even the finish as part of the cost. I ordered a basic brushed aluminum OCC with 3/8" fittings. I prefer the smaller fittings because the 3/8" gasoline hose is easier to route and work with. What I discovered on the 3.5T is the vacuum line from the manifold was 3/4" and the PCV line was 1/2". After all is said and done I should have ordered the can with 1/2" fittings. I used a 5/8" gasoline line from the manifold. I have a tubing expander tool then reduced it to 3/8". So higher velocity when it hits the can. From the PCV I used 1/2" reduced to 3/8". Given the direction of the nipples on the engine I had to run the vacuum input line around the air cleaner. I was able to bend the line from the PCV without any problem. The can is located next to the fuse box located on the passenger-side front engine bay. This seemed to be the best location because you want these placed in as cool a part of the engine bay as possible. Given this is a GDI engine I consider these a must to reduce build-up on the intake valves. I have found with my four bangers that I empty these at each oil change. I will monitor this more closely given the increased size of the engine.
These are dual injection GDI engines with both direct and port fuel injection. Port fuel injection will eliminate build up on the intake valves. Catch can is not necessary and would probably void the warranty.

GV70-PA

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
These are dual injection GDI engines with both direct and port fuel injection. Port fuel injection will eliminate build up on the intake valves. Catch can is not necessary and would probably void the warranty.
Actually, no it will not void the warranty. Call Genesis and ask. Written in my Veloster N warranty catch cans are specifically called-out as approved mods. Of course that same warranty spells-out autocrossing and track days as both covered. Different target market there. The dual injection does not eliminate build-up, but does help reduce it. My Gen Coupe was port injected and the can helped that engine considerably.

Crider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
. My Gen Coupe was port injected and the can helped that engine considerably.
How? You have before and after pictures of intake valve condition? You compared your cars performance with another identical Genesis after 50K miles one with catch can and one without? There is simply no evidence of value of a catch can installation on modern dual port DI engines beyond YouTube videos of "gunk" emptied from catch cans. People are free to do what ever they want with their cars and if it gives you peace of mind go for it, but it just seems like a solution in search of a problem.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Been a lot of talk prior on CC‘s and if they will void warranty or not? Most say no. I have them on my G70 since first getting my car. Dealer would need to find the CC contributed or caused a warranty claim issue. The PCV system is emissions related so would be a stretch to claim a CC actually created a problem. Alternator craps, transmission craps, A/C craps, no way a dealer could claim a CC did that.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

GV70-PA

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
How? You have before and after pictures of intake valve condition? You compared your cars performance with another identical Genesis after 50K miles one with catch can and one without? There is simply no evidence of value of a catch can installation on modern dual port DI engines beyond YouTube videos of "gunk" emptied from catch cans. People are free to do what ever they want with their cars and if it gives you peace of mind go for it, but it just seems like a solution in search of a problem.
To each his own. I am aware of the controversy. I do have a boroscope, but I base my judgment on having over 134k miles on that BK1 turbo and it still ran smooth and strong. I have only scoped cylinders before. You could even put it in the category of "do no harm" like magnetic oil plugs. Scotty Kilmer hates magnetic oil plugs :) Oddly, the transmission on my VN has a magnetic plug and you should have seen the crap on it when I changed the transmission oil! Apparently, Hyundai likes them. I am pretty gentle with my clutches too. No burn-outs. I only hit it once they are fully engaged.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners