3.3T Oil Change. Spec or (dip)stick?

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis G70
I did my own first oil change. Car has 32K and I didn't want to have the dealer do it. Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic.
Oil filter changed. Manual says drain and refill 7.29 U.S. qt.
Did my best to guesstimate the amount. Ran the car to check for leaks. Looked at the dipstick after a few minutes later and level was ~1/2 qt. low.
I know I put in the correct amount, so I didn't add more. The next morning, the dipstick showed it was over-filled.

I'M CONFUSED.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis G70
Thanks for the reply, Ed.

I remove the drain plug, then rotate the tires. usually about half hour. Nothing coming out of the oil pan. The car is level, no ramps. Maybe a few minutes from leak check engine stop and first dipstick check. I understand the oil has to drain down. Having grown up working on Detroit heavy metal, looks like I have a learning curve to adjust to. Next time I'll try 6 1/2 - 7 qts., then check in a few hours or in the morning and go from there.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I did my own first oil change. Car has 32K and I didn't want to have the dealer do it. Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic.
Oil filter changed. Manual says drain and refill 7.29 U.S. qt.
Did my best to guesstimate the amount. Ran the car to check for leaks. Looked at the dipstick after a few minutes later and level was ~1/2 qt. low.
I know I put in the correct amount, so I didn't add more. The next morning, the dipstick showed it was over-filled.

I'M CONFUSED.
I assume you changed the filter too? Just checking. Otherwise, what Ed said.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
You'll only get over 7 quarts if you have the front up on ramps, otherwise you won't get all the oil out. If it's a little overfilled (like .5 quarts) that's fine; but way too much oil and it will start slopping around the crankshaft and cause problems.

The problem with Rotella synthetic is that it's no longer rated for gasoline engines. Before it lost its gas rating it was considered pretty dang good oil. Though, some say it's still the same stuff despite losing the certification. It's not something I'd use on our engines, but I used to do my wife's WRX oil changes with it.

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis G70
Update: The car sat overnight and this morning I was determined to make sure the oil level was right. The car has traveled 2,529 miles since the last oil change. I pulled the dipstck and the level was "dead nuts on". The car was parked in the same place as it was when the first check was made.
Yup, I'm losin' it, but in the end, the car is OK.

Last edited:

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
Rock Spring, GA
That is really weird.... I have found in all of my vehicles >>> Chevrolet Silverado, Mazda3 sedan, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 L sedan are overfilled if going by the owners manual and actually show full on the dipstick with approximately 1/2 quart less with oil filter change
So in my Hyundai Genesis sedan I use 5 qts and it registers full on the dipstick
The manual states that the capacity is 5.5 qts with filter change but that overfills it per the dipstick reading

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Did my 2nd oil change this weekend. Had the oil fill problem the first change. This time warmed the engine slightly and let the oil drain about 30 to 40 min. Then changed the filter and let that drain about 10 min. Then filled with spec amount of oil slowly adding and checking on the last quart and it was exact fill on the dipstick.
Now you know that no dealership or mechanic for that matter is going to service a oil change to this extent.

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
Rock Spring, GA
No the dealer will not, or at least the oil change guy will not. But for your situation did you put in like 5.5 qts or whatever the manual said? And it wasn't over the full mark? I let mine drain at least 5 or 10 minutes, put in 5 quarts, crank and let it run and check for leaks. No leaks found, replace all panels and take off ramps and jack stands to get level on the ground, let it sit and recheck oil level and also recheck the next day. Always works out to be correct with 1/2 qt less for me. I have always heard that a little less is better than a little more for oil levels so that is just what I do.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis G70
No the dealer will not, or at least the oil change guy will not. But for your situation did you put in like 5.5 qts or whatever the manual said? And it wasn't over the full mark? I let mine drain at least 5 or 10 minutes, put in 5 quarts, crank and let it run and check for leaks. No leaks found, replace all panels and take off ramps and jack stands to get level on the ground, let it sit and recheck oil level and also recheck the next day. Always works out to be correct with 1/2 qt less for me. I have always heard that a little less is better than a little more for oil levels so that is just what I do.
The first oil change I did not add full amount to get to full line on dipstick. This second oil change that took me about an hour and a half, yes it took the full manual amount to the fill line on dipstick which if I recall correctly 7.29 quarts.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums