• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Oil Change. Spec or (dip)stick?

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I did my own first oil change. Car has 32K and I didn't want to have the dealer do it. Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic.
Oil filter changed. Manual says drain and refill 7.29 U.S. qt.
Did my best to guesstimate the amount. Ran the car to check for leaks. Looked at the dipstick after a few minutes later and level was ~1/2 qt. low.
I know I put in the correct amount, so I didn't add more. The next morning, the dipstick showed it was over-filled.

I'M CONFUSED.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the reply, Ed.

I remove the drain plug, then rotate the tires. usually about half hour. Nothing coming out of the oil pan. The car is level, no ramps. Maybe a few minutes from leak check engine stop and first dipstick check. I understand the oil has to drain down. Having grown up working on Detroit heavy metal, looks like I have a learning curve to adjust to. Next time I'll try 6 1/2 - 7 qts., then check in a few hours or in the morning and go from there.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I did my own first oil change. Car has 32K and I didn't want to have the dealer do it. Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic.
Oil filter changed. Manual says drain and refill 7.29 U.S. qt.
Did my best to guesstimate the amount. Ran the car to check for leaks. Looked at the dipstick after a few minutes later and level was ~1/2 qt. low.
I know I put in the correct amount, so I didn't add more. The next morning, the dipstick showed it was over-filled.

I'M CONFUSED.
I assume you changed the filter too? Just checking. Otherwise, what Ed said.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You'll only get over 7 quarts if you have the front up on ramps, otherwise you won't get all the oil out. If it's a little overfilled (like .5 quarts) that's fine; but way too much oil and it will start slopping around the crankshaft and cause problems.

The problem with Rotella synthetic is that it's no longer rated for gasoline engines. Before it lost its gas rating it was considered pretty dang good oil. Though, some say it's still the same stuff despite losing the certification. It's not something I'd use on our engines, but I used to do my wife's WRX oil changes with it.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums