Oil help !

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thread starter #1
Just came home and as soon as I pulled in my oil light came on . waited a while and checked it and ita not registering on the dip stick . how many quarts low is it ? Please helppppppp

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just came home and as soon as I pulled in my oil light came on . waited a while and checked it and ita not registering on the dip stick . how many quarts low is it ? Please helppppppp
Between one and six would be my guess. If it is not showing you really can't tell how low it is. Add one at a time and check.

You have to check your oil more often. As cars get older they can use more oil between changes, but you may want to check for leaks too if it is that low. How long since your last change? Whoever did the last change may have shorted you too. Most cars take 4 or 5 quarts, but some Gennys take 7 and they may have just put in 5 and not checked.

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #3
I ended up using only 3 quarts. In going to check again this morning . ive just bought the car only made one payment so far and by the looks of the oil that was there , the dealership shit me on a oil change . and my oil is smelling a lot like gas . they arent gonna like me much when I get there today .

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I ended up using only 3 quarts. In going to check again this morning . ive just bought the car only made one payment so far and by the looks of the oil that was there , the dealership shit me on a oil change . and my oil is smelling a lot like gas . they arent gonna like me much when I get there today .
If you bought it from a Hyundai/Genesis dealer they really did a poor job. The last owner probably did not bother with the last oil changes and the dealer did not care enough to check. If you bought it from the corner used car lot, that would be tpical of many of them.

They should give you a change. Keep track of it while under warranty in case there is a bigger problem.

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #5
Thats the sketchy part . I'm in Charleston and I bought it from one of the biggest dealerships here and it was a Mazda dealership . I honestly think it came from when we flooded so bad last year . everytime I open the windows all I smell is mildew . ive tried everything to get that smell out and I cant pin point it kuz the inside is black . I just overall got jewed . I'm only paying 17 for it but damn at least let a bitch know 😂😭

homeofstone

Registered Member
some more info please. Year model? engine V8 or V6? Miles on car? Noticeable oil leaks? Purchase from new car dealer or Private used car lot? Could be at last oil change only 5 quarts were put in. These cars take more than that for an oil /filter change.

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #7
Its a 2012 R spec. No oil leaks anywhere . just a tiny ampunt of smoke every so often . I just bought the car from a Mazda dealer with 48000 miles on it . I havent even put maybe 1500 miles on it yet .

homeofstone

Registered Member
Some 2012 R-Spec Genesis are known to use oil. They may use as much as a quart every 1000 miles. If you have one that uses more than a quart every 1000 miles then it may be one of the few that needs a new engine. There are several threads in this forum about the oil consumption by some early R-Spec 5.0 GDI engines.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
Its a 2012 R spec. No oil leaks anywhere . just a tiny ampunt of smoke every so often . I just bought the car from a Mazda dealer with 48000 miles on it . I havent even put maybe 1500 miles on it yet .
Some of the 2012 Rspec had engine had issues with oil use and based on you note regarding tiny amount of smoke would indicate to me you may have one of them.
Do you have any kind of warranty either from Hyundai or the Mazda dealer you purchased the car from?
It's time to start checking the oil level with every fill up.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
The 2012 5.0 requires more oil than previous year's V8's. I had a dealer in Florida chg the oil in my 2012 5.0 and failed to fill it (good thing I checked before leaving the dealership). They tried to say they put the prescribed amount of oil into the engine. I said double check for the 2012 V8 and they topped it up with another quart or so to get it to the "full" line. The larger oil capacity of the 2012 and newer V8's did initially cause some owners claiming oil usage between changes, but some where the result of the shop's failure to check the oil level after putting in the expected number of quarts.

I think it's unlikely that it is an early 2012 production year "oil burner", but if so the problem stemmed from using a certain German manufacturer's piston rings. Unfortunately, these rings failed to seal the piston properly in the cylinder and once known Hyundai altered their production line to use proper rings. From what I've heard, Hyundai was good about dealing with existing models and having the issues. Not sure if they replaced the engines or simply pulled them and swapped out the piston rings (which would be a rather major job too).

As far as the smell, it's probably from the climate control system. This seems to be a design issue with this car and there have been some members that have found ways to clean and deodorize the system. Search the site.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.