Oil leak near transmission / rear main seal

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yesterday I noticed an oil leak where the transmission meets the engine block. Judging from the location it could be the rear main seal. There are some corresponding oil stains on the top of the plastic shield. I plan to make an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. My car has just over 25,000 KMs (about 16,000 miles) so a rear main seal failure now would be very unusual.

IMG_3717.jpg

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That would be unusually soon. Let us know what they find. (Also, being the low point, sometimes other leaks will appear to be there, but actually come from somewhere else above.)

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang.... Let us know what the dealer says. Maybe it's that transmission oil pump seal like @Draco-REX has seen. Makes me scared to look under mine on this upcoming oil change.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Makes me scared to look under mine on this upcoming oil change.

One of the byproducts of having the large plastic shields under modern cars is that oil leaks can be hidden for a long time as it will collect on the top side of the shield and usually not leave a telltale spot on your garage floor. I’ve always liked getting underneath my cars and shining a flashlight in various places.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
One of the byproducts of having the large plastic shields under modern cars is that oil leaks can be hidden for a long time as it will collect on the top side of the shield and usually not leave a telltale spot on your garage floor. I’ve always liked getting underneath my cars and shining a flashlight in various places.

I do the same. I consider a good inspection to specifically look for leaks underneath as part of doing an oil change. Just ordered my oil and filter, will be changing it either next week or the week after. I've got my fingers crossed I don't have the same problem as you. The last time I was under my car everything looked clean and dry, but that was a number of months ago.

Draco-REX

Registered Member
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If you do have the leak, this is exactly something the drivetrain warranty is there for. Unless you guys have been driving an insane number of miles, I don't see there being any problem having this covered.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yesterday I noticed an oil leak where the transmission meets the engine block. Judging from the location it could be the rear main seal. There are some corresponding oil stains on the top of the plastic shield. I plan to make an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. My car has just over 25,000 KMs (about 16,000 miles) so a rear main seal failure now would be very unusual.

View attachment 30597
Yeah that really sucks..

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update on the oil leak on my G70. It's been in the shop for several days now. I was just notified today that they are replacing the rear main seal. I likely won't be getting my car back until Friday at the earliest.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My G70 has been in the shop for several days. I was just notified that they are replacing the rear main seal. I likely won't be getting my car back until Friday at the earliest.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like this is something every G70 and Stinger owner needs to keep an eye on.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This thread and others makes me think of how (relatively) few true mechanical failures our cars have endured. Removing the interior issues, paint, electronics and so on and thinking just of the engine/transmission/driveshaft/differential/spindle/wheel power source and delivery elements, there have been few issues, of which this is one. The vast majority have been noises, lighting failures and all the rest of the nuisance and occasional serious problems that have happened. I suppose the most serious was two ( I think) owners with the start/stop function failure which was electronic not mechanical since the mechanical parts were replaced with no improvement. So many threads about other issues but the engine/transmission mechanical parts failures have been blessedly few.
This is my impression, as a long time participant. If someone else has a different impression please pile on.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update on the oil leak on my G70. It's been in the shop for several days now. I was just notified today that they are replacing the rear main seal. I likely won't be getting my car back until Friday at the earliest.

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they will check all the other seals while they are in there. In my case, there is still a little seep, so will hold on till it becomes a leak and then take it in. I don't want them to take everything out only to tell me they cannot find the issue and then button everything back in a haphazard manner.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update:

I’ve now been driving the loaner G70 for 10 days. I was told that in addition to the rear main seal being replaced, they’re also going to be replacing the oil pan gasket while they’re at it. I guess I can’t fault them for being thorough. When I asked to get an update yesterday, I was sent this photo. It was certainly a view of my engine bay that I’ve never seen.

316706E4-AE37-4E32-AD4A-C811C5F3AB1E.jpeg

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm not even sure how I'd be feeling if I saw my car like that. I'm glad they're taking care of you though.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
When I asked to get an update yesterday, I was sent this photo. It was certainly a view of my engine bay that I’ve never seen.
Woah! Sure hope they know what they're doing.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums