• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

oil types

Damagecontrol1

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I was reading alot about Royal Purple oil and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. On another note, I just had my oil changed at a Hyundai dealership and the oil dipstick broke the yellow plastic piece in half when removing it. They ended up dropping the oil pan to find it. I have a 2015 3.8 sedan V6 and was wondering if the newer sticks are any better or the same.

Jkon

Genesis Model Type
I have not used royal purple myself...I have used Amsoil or Mobil 1 in my vehicles/motorcycles for 30 years never had any issues with either of them. Currently use Mobil 1 5W30 in my 16 Genesis and plan to do so as long as I own it.Hopefully that will be for many years to come. I just love my ultimate and look for reasons to take her out for a drive!! Hopefully you like your 15

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Good oil info

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Hopefully you or someone can authoritatively answer this question What oil type (synthetic, blend, etc) does Genesis America actually recommend or require for their current lineup? Is it any different between turbo vs no turbo? 6 vs v8? I know nothing about how to interpret the specs In the manual.
thanks
I can't get into the Genesis shop manual right now to see if anything is different for the 2019+, and the G70. But, the 2017-18 are

3.8 = 5w30 ACEA A5 or above (API SL, ILSAC GF-3 can be used if the recommended oil is not available
3.3t = 5w30 ACEA A5 or above (API SL, ILSAC GF-3, ACEA A3 oil can be used if the recommended oil is not available
5.0 = 5w20 API-SM &ILSAC-GF4 or above (API SL, ILSAC GF-3 oil can be used if the recommended oil is not available

What all that means, don't know. It doesn't specify full, semi, or non. We use Valvoline full synthetic in our dealership. Factory fill is Quaker State, and I believe it's full synthetic. Going through both Quaker State, and Valvoline oils sites, none of their oils have ACEA certifications, but they are all ILSAC GF5 oils, even conventional. So I guess anything is ok to use. Even the Duramax oil we used for a short time when we first opened is ILSAC GF5.

So yeah, that's all I got.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I was reading alot about Royal Purple oil and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. On another note, I just had my oil changed at a Hyundai dealership and the oil dipstick broke the yellow plastic piece in half when removing it. They ended up dropping the oil pan to find it. I have a 2015 3.8 sedan V6 and was wondering if the newer sticks are any better or the same.
I have used Royal Purple oil in the past with my old Nissan/Infiniti SUVs (2006 Murano and 2004 FX45) with no issues. Its seems like a good oil to use. I now only use Valvoline synthetic oils in my current cars.

Damagecontrol1

Genesis Model Type
I've used it( not in my Genesis) but don't feel it is anything special or better than main stream full synthetics available for far less money. They have a big marketing department.
You may want to ask over at this web site ... A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Base Oils - Bob is the Oil Guy
Thanks for all your replies. My dealership said that they used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic for my oil change. I will most likely stick with it since it shows good reviews.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums