• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Oil!!!

rkar

Registered Member
What kind of oil are you guys using in your 3.3T? I personally don't mind spending money on oil and even taking my own oil to the dealer to have it changed. My car has about 1500 miles on it. Will be changing the oil at around 3k miles most likely. What kind of oil are you guys using for those of you who change your own or like to use your own other than what the dealer uses? I personally have used Shaeffers in my other vehicle, will prob order some Shaeffers 5W30 and have the dealer use that oil during it's first oil change. What kind of oil do you guys prefer or like to use?

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Costco is running $10 off this month for Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30 for the 6 quart boxes so I've been stockpiling them. I don't think any of the dealers around me provide full synthetic with their valet service so I'm going to have them use my own oil.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What you say may be true.
When I go to the search box at top right and enter "oil" as the search term it says "no results found". One must enter the term and then select This Forum Only, or use the advanced search function. Even then it turns up every post with the word oil. Using "Oil change" provides others but the first page of that search list has no posts that I can tell from the synopses covers this topic.
I say let him speak.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Whatever the Hyundai dealership uses when I go get oil changed (and tires rotated). Cheaper than other shops.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Odds are dealers aren't going to toss in some cheapo depot oil so I'm not worried about that (and have no desire to bring my own and trust they use it).

If they use theirs and do the work, they are 100% liable for any issues. If I bring mine, that guarantee is wiped out.

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was using Castrol Edge 5w30 until recently with no issues. But just switched over today to Mobil1 5w30 because Castrol Edge doesn't meet the ACEA A5 specification. After I bought my 3.3T, I asked the service department what they use and they told me they use conventional 5w30 and that it wouldn't make a difference. I explained to the guy that this is a twin turbo, lots of heat, and that conventional oil wouldn't meet the specs listed in the owners manual. He looked at me like I was insane. Oh well. I guess free oil changes aren't in my future.

rkar

Registered Member
I was using Castrol Edge 5w30 until recently with no issues. But just switched over today to Mobil1 5w30 because Castrol Edge doesn't meet the ACEA A5 specification. After I bought my 3.3T, I asked the service department what they use and they told me they use conventional 5w30 and that it wouldn't make a difference. I explained to the guy that this is a twin turbo, lots of heat, and that conventional oil wouldn't meet the specs listed in the owners manual. He looked at me like I was insane. Oh well. I guess free oil changes aren't in my future.
Lmao wow. That's pretty terrible. I'll just take my own oil.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are semi synthetic oils that meet acea a5 specs just so you know. We all agree we would rather them use full synthetic but they are meeting the letter of the law according to the manuals recommendations. Or do what I do and ask them to upgrade you to full synthetic and then you only pay the difference. My oil changes are about 20 bucks for the up charge

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are semi synthetic oils that meet acea a5 specs just so you know. We all agree we would rather them use full synthetic but they are meeting the letter of the law according to the manuals recommendations. Or do what I do and ask them to upgrade you to full synthetic and then you only pay the difference. My oil changes are about 20 bucks for the up charge
Not arguing, but can you tell me what semi synthetic oils meet acea a5/b5? Good point on the $20 upcharge. I'll ask my dealer about it.

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes but how do you know that they used it? Do you ask for the empty cans?
Yes, I take in 8 quarts (uses 7.3 quarts) and ask for the remainder of the last quart (I use to make gun lube). We have a door where we can look into the maintenance area. I hate not trusting them, but that's life. So I keep an eye out.

edit: This dealership is the newest in the metro DC area and the GM said they went through hell to get certified, etc to be an authorized Genesis dealer. It would be a sad shame to ruin their reputation over a few quarts of oil. But, I am like most people and have trouble trusting dealerships. So, yes, I watch to see what they do to my car. It's not a Ferrari but I treat mine like it is.

Last edited:

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It’s been a long time since we discussed it on here but if memory serves, Quaker state makes one

Edit: found the post first service is when?
Thanks. Like I said, no semi synthetic available that meets the acea a5/b5....in the US. Looks like I have inadvertently re-hashed an argument about what Genesis recommends and/or requires via their sticker and owners manual vs what is actually available to different countries around the world vs what is actually best for the high-end performance car vs Genesis cheaping-out by allowing alternative lower-level spec oil if the best specs aren't available

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks. Like I said, no semi synthetic available that meets the acea a5/b5....in the US. Looks like I have inadvertently re-hashed an argument about what Genesis recommends and/or requires via their sticker and owners manual vs what is actually available to different countries around the world vs what is actually best for the high-end performance car vs Genesis cheaping-out by allowing alternative lower-level spec oil if the best specs aren't available
You hit the nail on the head. I even called Genesis corporate to ensure dealers werent screwing around. They are allowing them to cheap out, which is why Ill be biting the bullet and paying the upcharge to full synthetic for piece of mind. Ive only asked them to do the upcharge once so far and they actually comped it for me so we'll see how well it goes going forward. Of course you have to trust your dealer to put in the right oil, so thats a crapshoot too. I think we would be totally safe and fine with conventional as long as frequent changes are maintained but for some of us its full synthetic or nothing for that piece of mind

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums