• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Oil!!!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Because my car is a lease I will accept whatever the dealer put on it but if the car were mine I would do what I always do with my owned ones. I would buy the best synthetic oil and filter that comply with the manufacturer specs, will give it to the dealer and will watch them to pour it on the engine. Or better yet, I would do my onw oil change. Simple as that.

CannonBall

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
ACEA is a European spec. I've wondered if some of the oils sold in the US may actually meet that but have invested the time and money to do the testing. I also wonder if the spec was determined by Hyundai engineers or was a suggestion by Quaker State knowing that others cannot meet it. Just the fact that they have the Quaker State stickers on the car you know it is a marketing agreement. Just like your new washing machine came with a sample of Tide, it works well with other brands of detergent.
Hi Ed, I just switched to Mobil1 because it says meets/exceeds acea a5/b5. Did you test Mobil1? It doesn't meet the acea a5/b5 spec?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
penn plat euro synthetic 5w40 meets the ACEA spec, at least for the 2.0T. that's what i use for my 6 months DIY change which align with warm summer months. the annual 'free' Genesis OCI uses QS 0W30 - full synthetic. i just had it done and fully synthetic was confirmed and used according to the tech and invoice.

referencing the QS site, the 'euro' LX fully synthetic 0W30 also meets the applicable ACEA spec for the 2.0T. that is the only QS 0W30 formulation available in CAD so it must be what was used, thus i'm satisfied.

as has been discussed before, the underhood sticker calls for Shell Helix (or QS in small print on my car) which is not available in north america. the owner's manual refers to the same brands. again, as long as the specs are met, the brand shouldn't matter.

rkar

Registered Member
You hit the nail on the head. I even called Genesis corporate to ensure dealers werent screwing around. They are allowing them to cheap out, which is why Ill be biting the bullet and paying the upcharge to full synthetic for piece of mind. Ive only asked them to do the upcharge once so far and they actually comped it for me so we'll see how well it goes going forward. Of course you have to trust your dealer to put in the right oil, so thats a crapshoot too. I think we would be totally safe and fine with conventional as long as frequent changes are maintained but for some of us its full synthetic or nothing for that piece of mind
Very interesting. Thanks for letting us know!

rkar

Registered Member
Anyone use a Dexos 1 oil in the 3.3? Curious....
I'll prob go Shaeffers 9000 series or Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30. See how the car feels with those compared to my factory oil, haven't even changed the oil yet. Car has 1600 miles currently. We shall see.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone use a Dexos 1 oil in the 3.3? Curious....
I'll prob go Shaeffers 9000 series or Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30. See how the car feels with those compared to my factory oil, haven't even changed the oil yet. Car has 1600 miles currently. We shall see.
I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 in mine. That's a really good oil.

LouieG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Odds are dealers aren't going to toss in some cheapo depot oil so I'm not worried about that (and have no desire to bring my own and trust they use it).

If they use theirs and do the work, they are 100% liable for any issues. If I bring mine, that guarantee is wiped out.
Good points, agreed. I happen to be leasing my G70 3.3T AWD Sport and just had 1st service, including oil and filter performed at 3500 miles. Spoke to mechanic, he wanted to use synthetic oil, but shop says standard oil will be used. Even though I care about the vehicle, the guy above says it all. Genesis would be foolish to beat their own cars w/poor maintenance; when they come off lease the vehicle might be in poorer condition. Having fun with this vehicle. Using Pirelli all-season run-flat low profile tires supplied and installed by dealer.

LouieG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
ACEA is a European spec. I've wondered if some of the oils sold in the US may actually meet that but have invested the time and money to do the testing. I also wonder if the spec was determined by Hyundai engineers or was a suggestion by Quaker State knowing that others cannot meet it. Just the fact that they have the Quaker State stickers on the car you know it is a marketing agreement. Just like your new washing machine came with a sample of Tide, it works well with other brands of detergent.
Thanks for your post, very informative.

LouieG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are semi synthetic oils that meet acea a5 specs just so you know. We all agree we would rather them use full synthetic but they are meeting the letter of the law according to the manuals recommendations. Or do what I do and ask them to upgrade you to full synthetic and then you only pay the difference. My oil changes are about 20 bucks for the up charge
Thanks, I thought about that too late this time around. Will do upgrade next change. 👌

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
First oil change I had them use Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 (or so they said they did). Didn't pay a dime. This time I was supposed to be charged $20.59 for the full synthetic. Dealer said Genesis only covers synthetic blended oil. I asked for the same oil, but this time the invoice says Mobil One was used. Not a fan of that stuff. Oh well I guess. They reimbursed me this time for the oil. Sounds like all they carry now is Mobil One.

First time I used the valet service too. I wasn't in their system, they said they had issues a few months ago but thought it was resolved. Guess not, glad I called them this morning asking where the driver was! They got here within 1/2 an hour and car was done within two hours.

Last edited:

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm curious, in the year 2019 how can anyone not like a certain any major name brand oil?? Maybe 40 years ago when standards were probably not at their highest I can see wanting a specific brand but today, tech is so much better with this stuff I can't see ANY of the major brands causing anyone trouble, especially when we dump oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. Barely enough time for any oil to get "dirty".

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm curious, in the year 2019 how can anyone not like a certain any major name brand oil?? Maybe 40 years ago when standards were probably not at their highest I can see wanting a specific brand but today, tech is so much better with this stuff I can't see ANY of the major brands causing anyone trouble, especially when we dump oil between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. Barely enough time for any oil to get "dirty".
oil getting dirty isnt the only concern. you have to understand how your oil reacts at the highest and lowest ends of the temp spectrum along with shearing. In a high performance twin turbo motor, I think a little extra caution is not a bad thing. Especially for those of us in the 'severe' schedule.

Now not liking Mobile 1 full synthetic vs another full synthetic? I have heard of some Mobil1 issues in subaru motors I think but as long as each oil is ACEA A5+ certified I would imagine they are created almost equal. someone please correct me if im wrong? Mobil 1 was my go to in my last car

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've been using all oil major brands in all my cars and for the last 12 years I've been using synthetic even in my leased cars. Mobil 1, Castrol, Penzoil, Valvoline, Royal Purple, you name it. As far as they comply with the manufacturer specs. I have no preference from one brand over the others.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Where I come from we used to have just one brand of motor oil with just two different oil weights and ALL cars used to last millions of kilometers. We used to rebuild our engines again and again and again.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
EdP may support me on this one. When a boy I recall my father and his menfolk neighbors and such discussing cars of the time. Several men were conVINCED that one national gas company had better gas than another national company. I recall this well as I was at an impressionable age where I was learning to identify cars by make and model and pretending to know much more than I actually knew. Was it possible that one brand of gas (not octane) worked better in his car than another brand? I think so. Still, the oil discussion goes back to other petrol products, likely to kerosene and whale oil and coal and so on..

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums