Opening trunk with dead battery

JV3

Pittsburgh
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi everyone

Earlier this week the battery in my G70 (Dynamic) was completely drained. It wasn't clear to me how, (or if) the car could be jumped from under the hood. A quick look at the owners manual revealed that access to the trunk with a dead battery requires crawling through the back seat and using the emergency trunk release - conveniently located at the very back of the car.

AAA got the car started and I took it to the dealer. They kept the car for a day and confirmed the battery was fine and that I must have left a door open - I hadn't.

Am I missing something? Can't imagine how much fun it would be to deal with a dead battery while traveling with a trunk full of luggage.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Last edited:

JV3

Pittsburgh
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why couldn't you open the trunk with the key? Is there not a traditional key hole?
Could you possibly open the hood, hook up battery cables to the battery jump terminals and then use the button on the driver door?
Thanks for the response.

I've looked behind the car and don't see anywhere for the key. I assume there's a way to jump the car from under the hood - but I didn't see where.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are terminals in the engine bay to jump start the car. The positive terminal is located in the fuse box in the top left of the engine bay, and the negative terminal is next to the passenger side airbox.

The owner's manual has a good illustration of where both are located.

JV3

Pittsburgh
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are terminals in the engine bay to jump start the car. The positive terminal is located in the fuse box in the top left of the engine bay, and the negative terminal is next to the passenger side airbox.

The owner's manual has a good illustration of where both are located.
Thanks

I found it in the manual; probably as you were typing! Given where the car was in the garage when the battery died, it was actually more convenient to crawl through the trunk.

I bought a decent booster pack to keep in the car and going forward I'll jump it from under the hood.

I'm just kind of surprised that you can't (AFAIK) use the key to open the trunk.

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
Rock Spring, GA
""I'm just kind of surprised that you can't (AFAIK) use the key to open the trunk.""
Me too!! I haven't even looked at mine and my wife is driving it today so I can't go currently look.

G-144602

I have a 2020 G90 with a dead battery and can’t get in the trunk. Manuel’s are in the trunk. Can I charge under the hood on this model? Thanks

SteveS

Genesis Model Type
Genesis Coupe
I have a 2014 Genesis Coupe 2.0 RT. battery died on it the other day and couldn't get into the trunk to get my tools. Fortunately the jumper cables were not in the trunk. So my question is, for the 2014 Coupe, is there a way to open the trunk with no power to the car? I have looked all over the back of the car to find a key hole, no luck.

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2014 Genesis Coupe 2.0 RT. battery died on it the other day and couldn't get into the trunk to get my tools. Fortunately the jumper cables were not in the trunk. So my question is, for the 2014 Coupe, is there a way to open the trunk with no power to the car? I have looked all over the back of the car to find a key hole, no luck.

You're in the G70 section of the forum, SteveS. You'll most likely get more help posting in the correct area of the forum that covers your particular year make and model.

Try here:
General 2009-2016 Genesis Coupe Discussion

G-829578

Thanks for the response.

I've looked behind the car and don't see anywhere for the key. I assume there's a way to jump the car from under the hood - but I didn't see where.
Key is under trunk lip to the right

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums