Opening up the wonderful sound of my 5.0

fiveohaz

Phoenix
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
After two years of feeling and not hearing the power of my '15 5.0, I decided to start doing some changes to the exhaust. Let me know what you think!

I still need to finish to make this sound an every day thing, unbolting the mufflers and dumping exhaust right under the center of the car causes a lot of vibration to the plastics on the inside & sprays exhaust heat and soot on to a spot not meant for either. I don't personally have a problem with the extra noise/drone but I also drove two very loud mustangs before this, making my tolerance for exhaust sound pretty high. For now though, the mufflers are back in place and my car is nearly stock quiet again.

Next step will either be straight piping the rest of the exhaust from the x-pipe to the tips, or leaving the mufflers on and fitting some electric cutouts in so I can flip a switch and go from quiet to essentially the same sound shown in the video. These valves have been on my saved list for quite some time now, not sure which way to go yet!

I've also been reading about doing a secondary cat delete, if anyone with a 2015 5.0 has done that particular mod I would be interested in hearing about it!

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Sound bad ass.

The 5.0 sound without mufflers would probably confuse most people that hear you drive by. I personally would be expecting a Mustang ;not a large luxury barge.

I would go with the electronic cutouts for more control of the sound level/type. Quiet when just taking a relaxing cruise around town or a straight raw aggressive sound to turn heads on a hard take off at the light that will have most people going WTF is under the hood.:)

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I did a full 2-1/2" mandrel bent stainless system from the first cat back. Thus deleting the secondary cat and used a true X pipe where the resonator used to be. Huge difference in power, butt dyno said 30 HP gained. No idea of real gains, but it really truly feels a lot different.

I first used "race" mufflers, it sounded horrible, droned like a drum at 1800-2000 RPM, unbearable. Sounded like a heavily built 5.0 Mustang when you step on it. Not what I wanted. but man did this turn into a beast on highway cruise acceleration. 40-80 for passing in just a few seconds. Can't really use the new power from a stop, with traction control on it pulls too much power to retain traction. THis car needs an LDS in the worst way. With traction control off it's hard to control and makes a lot of noise. It's still a heavy car.

Not happy with the loud ass mufflers, I cut the stockers off the stock pipes, used my hydraulic tube expander and enlarged their inlets to accept the 2-1/2" pipes and put them back on the car. I probably dropped those power gains some, perhaps cut it in half. It is still way more eager to accelerate hard. I've had traction control kick in at a full pull from 40, it was breaking the tires loose. It did muffle out that drone entirely, net result is it sounds deeper and more like a V*, but on cruise you don't really hear it, which is what I wanted. You can hear it wake up when you step on it now, but most of the time I'm just cruising and forget it's there.

I'll probably be putting dual exhaust cutouts on it this winter so I can get that lost power back, and still have a quiet cruiser the other 99% of the time.

Full disclosure, I also put in dual true ram air cold air intakes with K&N filters, some of my power gains are from that. It gets forced air from the front brake ducts on each side.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I did a full 2-1/2" mandrel bent stainless system from the first cat back. Thus deleting the secondary cat and used a true X pipe where the resonator used to be. Huge difference in power, butt dyno said 30 HP gained. No idea of real gains, but it really truly feels a lot different.

I first used "race" mufflers, it sounded horrible, droned like a drum at 1800-2000 RPM, unbearable. Sounded like a heavily built 5.0 Mustang when you step on it. Not what I wanted. but man did this turn into a beast on highway cruise acceleration. 40-80 for passing in just a few seconds. Can't really use the new power from a stop, with traction control on it pulls too much power to retain traction. THis car needs an LDS in the worst way. With traction control off it's hard to control and makes a lot of noise. It's still a heavy car.

Not happy with the loud ass mufflers, I cut the stockers off the stock pipes, used my hydraulic tube expander and enlarged their inlets to accept the 2-1/2" pipes and put them back on the car. I probably dropped those power gains some, perhaps cut it in half. It is still way more eager to accelerate hard. I've had traction control kick in at a full pull from 40, it was breaking the tires loose. It did muffle out that drone entirely, net result is it sounds deeper and more like a V*, but on cruise you don't really hear it, which is what I wanted. You can hear it wake up when you step on it now, but most of the time I'm just cruising and forget it's there.

I'll probably be putting dual exhaust cutouts on it this winter so I can get that lost power back, and still have a quiet cruiser the other 99% of the time.

Full disclosure, I also put in dual true ram air cold air intakes with K&N filters, some of my power gains are from that. It gets forced air from the front brake ducts on each side.
Speaking of LSD.

I believe that the late model Genesis Rspec coup 3.8 rear LSD equipped differential may work on the 5.0 RWD models. The 3.8 coup with the LSD has the same gear ratio of 3.538:1 and the LSD is a mechanical Torsen unit. I have seem a few used 3.8 coup rear LSD differential for sale on Ebay for about $500. However, they are rare to find.

I may give it a go when my warranty expires since the 5.0 RWD models really does need a LSD to make some good 0-60 times without wheel spin. You should try installing one to put that power to the ground. It should fit, if not then sale it back on eBay.

Last edited:

Ronin Genesis

Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
I went with Flowmaster 40s and a custom X-pipe installed with a resonator delete to change the sound of my 2015 5.0. It's not too loud, but you can hear it growl when you press the gas. I had a 2006 GTO that had Super 44s and an H-pipe with the resonator delete and that was what I used as a reference point. Not as loud, but still a nice deep sound once it's warmed up. The same shop that did my GTO did my Genesis and it came out perfect.

2015 Genesis 5.0 Flowmaster 40s, resonator delete, and X-pipe

Last edited:

fiveohaz

Phoenix
Genesis Model Type
I went with Flowmaster 40s and a custom X-pipe installed with a resonator delete to change the sound of my 2015 5.0. It's not too loud, but you can hear it growl when you press the gas. I had a 2006 GTO that had Super 44s and an H-pipe with the resonator delete and that was what I used as a reference point. Not as loud, but still a nice deep sound once it's warmed up. The same shop that did my GTO did my Genesis and it came out perfect.

2015 Genesis 5.0 Flowmaster 40s, resonator delete, and X-pipe
Sounds great - I had super 44’s on a 96 cobra that sounded excellent with an off-road x pipe. Making me think that mufflers are still a potential option!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums