Bad Orlando Hyundai

NikonMan

Orlando FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I wanted a G80 Sport in gray, finally located one here. Spoke with a salesman, verified it was available, did an online credit app, was told they could keep the payment under $900, so far so good.

Arrive at the dealer, they take a quick look at my trade in, and come back with a payment of $1,150. Turns out they want me to pay MSRP for a demo with over 1,300 miles on it. On top of that they have a mandatory $1,500 exterior/interior protection add on and a $500 add on for window tint/nitrogen filled tires, in addition to an $800 dealer fee. Back and forth, back and forth, had to play the "give me my keys back, we're done" card twice. We finally get things worked out to a payment of $944 which I can live with by them waiving the add ons and adjusting the trade in value. Took 3 1/2 hours even though I had pre-approved financing. Salesman mentioned twice he was going to make sure the tank was full ("full tank of gas" is on the window sticker). Drive away, the tank is at 3/4, I don't care at this point, just get me out. Take a look the next morning, there is NO tint on the windows, which makes me question if the paint and leather protection was actually done as well.

I was also told I had to arrange insurance before I could leave, which I know is crap as I have a 30 day grace period under my current policy. I was also promised a follow up call "in a day or two" to see how everything is with the car, it's been five days and I have had zero contact. Fortunately there are other dealers near enough that I can use for scheduled maintenance, they will never see me or my car again.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Maybe a better plan would be to have a spare key in your pocket. When it's time to say "give me my keys back" and they don't respond, say "I'll have my lawyer ask for my keys back and the head out the door. I bet when you half way to the door, they give you the deal you want or immediately hand over your keys, especially if there are other customers in the showroom.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Ouch.

Did you actually tell them what you want the payment to be or did you (as one should) negotiate the car price in writing first, then mention you wanted to do a trade in and get that in writing. Then wrap things up from there?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Did you actually tell them what you want the payment to be or did you (as one should) negotiate the car price in writing first, then mention you wanted to do a trade in and get that in writing. Then wrap things up from there?
I think you hit the nail on the head, sounds like he was negotiating the monthly price and not the price of the car and throwing the trade into the mix. The process you mention is the best way to negotiate a new car whether by financing, buying with cash or leasing. (y)

NikonMan

Orlando FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
We knew we had 1.9% financing, so the financed amount had to work out to the number we had in mind. I know dealers always play with the underlying numbers, our primary concern was the loan amount with $0 additional out of pocket, which is why we talked payment and not principal. If I ever buy a new car again I'll follow all your recommendations. Live, learn, and love my Genesis. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.